What's new

Frye boots quality?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, so please be patient with me. I am looking to buy my first pair of quality boots. I tried on a very nice looking pair of Frye Phillip work boots today at Nordstrom, and fell in love with the way they look. Rugged, but very slim and sleek and not too dressy. Lookswise, they are about perfect. However, they are the made in Mexico ones, and I have read conflicting reports about outsourced Frye boots. What is the quality of these outsourced Fryes? I am looking for something that could last me years and be used for activities like hiking and climbing, not just for fashion. Will these fill that role? How would they compare to something like the Alden Indy? Thank you for your help!

Hi and welcome...I don't own an Alden or a Frye. But from what I read here and there I think comparing the two would be like
comparing a Rolls Royce(Alden) to a Chevy(Frye). I think in your mind you have already chosen....I have read that the Alden
can last many many years...I think the Frye is a disposable boot....But I don't know for sure.

Check out Red Wing " iron ranger" I have had mine for about three years and they are great. I wore them in the construction industry for a year or so, then cleaned them up, put polish on them and now wear them with jeans and a sport coat.

They are made in the USA.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
First off, I guess you have to decide style-wise which boot you would prefer. The Frye boot you are looking at is a western-style boot. The Indy is not. Nor is the Iron Ranger by Red Wing.

I am not a fan of a zipper along the back of a boot which can be a problem area on boots and being outsourced may spell disaster in the not to distant future.

For the price of the Frye Philip boot you can get the Red Wing Iron Ranger (which was mentioned in another post) and that boot is made in the USA by a company known for producing quality footwear. Again, this boot is a different style than what you are leaning towards.

As far as the Aldens go, now you are looking at spending twice the amount of money. But with Alden you are not buying a pair of shoes but investing in a top-notch shoe. The Indy boot is more a bit more stylish than the Philip and the Iron Ranger, in my opinion, and yet it can be a rugged boot as well. I think it gives you a bit more diversity style-wise. If you purchase them in shell cordovan leather, with proper care, you'll be wearing the Indy boot for the next 20 years. :yesnod:

Thanks for the help everybody. Just to be clear, the boot I was looking at is this one. The decision to buy a more reputable brand would be easy if I could find one that looked as good as this. I love how slim the profile of the boot is, and that is why I am looking at this one and haven't bought the Alden Indy already. Is the Indy as slim as this, and is there any other similar boots to this? $safe_image.php.jpg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
My bad. I thought you were looking at the Philip Harness. The comparable Frye boot to the Indy and the Iron Ranger is the Walter Lace-up.

Top Bottom