What's new

Merkur Progress question, problem.

I have a Merkur Progress I bought awhile back, but was wondering, this question I have probably has already been asked before but can't seem to find the thread: when I put a blade in (also without a blade in the razor) and tighten it down all the way close to "1" as it will go, blade gap is fine, head doesn't rock back and forth. As soon as I dial up the razor past about "2", the bottom part of the razor head, (the part that has the triangle engraved on it) rocks back and forth, causing the top part of the razor head plate to have uneven blade gaps from one end of the razor to the other. Basically the razor head assembly doesn't hold firm anymore as soon as you dial up the razor from it's lowest setting. If you push down on the head or lightly press it, one end pops up higher than the other on the razor head. How do you fix this, or is there a way around this problem?

I've had a progress for about 12 years now, and still tightly holds the blade. This sounds like a faulty razor, is it new? merkur may replace it under warranty. It might be worth emailing Mer as I'm sure he'll know if it is repairable. Si

I too would ask Mer, and I suspect he can point you in the right direction, but it sounds like it's a defect. I would contact the vendor if it's still under warranty.

If not, I've had a very positive experience with Merkur directly. I had a defect in a razor and they replaced it with a new one gratis. Others have reported less than stellar customer service, but generally Merkur has a very fine reputation for great customer service. PM me for contact information.

If I understand correctly the bottom of the head is rocking on the pedistal connected to the handle. that would be a faulty razor. Mine is securely fastened. replacement or repair is in order. I seem to recall a thread recently where there was a crack that let the razor come apart. perhaps you have a smaller crack starting.

Mike

Top Bottom