Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Check out this chap's reviews ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This is the video I like to offer to "n00bs" looking to expand their scotch horizons ...

Get a good Glencairn glass to drink your scotch, and then don't forget to add a tiny dash of water, and enjoy ... savour ... linger ...

I've only tried JW Blue once at a Xmas party a few years back and I liked it, but not a point of dropping $150.00 on it. But I really don't mind the blended scotches (I like some blended wines to), but I prefer the single malts.

Imo go with with what tastes great to you and what you can afford.

Check out this chap's reviews ...

I like Ralfy.

For me it's: Blue<Gold<Green

I truly believe Blue is as highly regarded as it is due to a very well calculated marketing campaign. I don't think it's bad, but it's way overpriced.

I like Ralfy.

I like Ralfy too. He's entertaining and he has introduced me to some excellent Scotch.
I have never bought any color of JW. I tried a taste of the black but wasn't that impressed. I just wanted a scotch to mix and it seemed a bit overpriced.

I like Ralfy.

For me it's: Blue<Gold<Green

I truly believe Blue is as highly regarded as it is due to a very well calculated marketing campaign. I don't think it's bad, but it's way overpriced.

I'll never turn my nose up to Johnny Walker. I completely agree that my favorite is the Green. The Blue is tasty, but not so much better that I'd spend the extra money on it. If I'm making some Rusty Nails or Scotch n Sodas, I'll go with the Black.

For single malts, Caol Ila is my absolute favorite. I'm glad it's getting some respect around here. I find the peat is well balanced with a salty, almost green olive-like tone. The 12 year is great, but the 25 year is madman.

StylinLA, if you like the McCallan, I'd recommend giving the Aberlour a shot. McCallan is aged in Sherry casks which gives it a very different taste than many of the other scotches out there. The Aberlour is double casked, once in sherry and once in bourbon casks. It's a great transition scotch if you want to explore some of the more oily scotches like Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

Finally, a funny story about people and JW Blue: I got together with a dozen other guys and we had a blind "scotch" tasting party, which included several single malts but also some Irish Whiskeys, blends, and a few others. We drank samples all night without knowing what was what, and rated them simply based on preference. Many of the "less erudite" people preferred Jeremiah Weed to Johnny Walker Blue. Different strokes.

I like Ralfy too. He's entertaining and he has introduced me to some excellent Scotch.
I have never bought any color of JW. I tried a taste of the black but wasn't that impressed. I just wanted a scotch to mix and it seemed a bit overpriced.

JW Black is not overly impressive. Famous Grouse tastes a good bit better to me.

I'm sad that JW Green is discontinued (it is, isn't it?) because I can't see myself buying any JW products now. I like the Gold, but at that price there are Single Malts I'd rather have.

If you really like Scotch, you'll be in it for the long haul. Take your time, find what you like, and enjoy. As in shaving, categories and labels take second place to personal preference.

I've been into Scotch for three decades, but not in an AD sort of way. My everyday quaffs are JW Black or Pinch (f/k/a Haig & Haig). At the low end, I won't turn my nose up at a glass of Black & White. On the single-malt side, I like Talisker 10, Laphroig 10, and have recently developed a fondness for Cragganmore 12. Last year I had the privilege of tasting a Talisker 25 from 2007, which was fabulous. I've been searching, on and off, for a bottle of the much more affordable Talisker 18, but it's become very hard (impossible?) to find.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is delish. I'm not generally a Scotch fan, but this stuff allowed me to see what Scotch is really about.

Laphroaig quarter cask is special.... but possibly a cruel recommendation to someone who likes the JW. Blue flavor profile. At least without warning.... it's a charred peated rape your tastebuds (subtly....) kind of thing. Ralfy's review of it is pretty great, btw.

I'd highly recommend the Clynelish 14yr, which I was lucky enough to be served at a Christmas party this year. Not a peat bomb at all, however. But that's coming from thinking about the JW baseline.

I'd highly recommend the Clynelish 14yr, which I was lucky enough to be served at a Christmas party this year. Not a peat bomb at all, however. But that's coming from thinking about the JW baseline.

Agree. Clynelish is rumored to be the "core" of JW Gold. Never tasted JW Gold but Clynelish 14 is excellent.

I got some Johnny Walker Blue for Christmas. I've had it before, so it's not my first bottle.

I'm not a scotch guy as a rule. But this stuff is pretty awesome. When I drink this, I get the whole "scotch" thing.

What's out there that will make me think this is crap?

This will make JW Blue taste like crap...

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
If you like your JW, and want try try a single malt, track down a bottle of Cardhu Single malt (not to be confused with the pure malt, which is a blend). It is one of the malts used in the JW bends.

I'm sipping it now, and I'm getting blackberry, coffee, liquorice, apple... maybe vanilla... (I'm quite getting into this whisky tasting business. It's starting to click with me, and I get what the experts are waffling on about).

Last edited:
Some good advice here. Especially the rabbit hole warning!

I'm not averse to a blended whisky - there are some corkers out there. I've had Johnny Blue fairly regularly over the years (a good mate gets a bottle just about every birthday) and I'll rate it as very good. But not $200 a bottle good. Johnny Green (a vatted malt, to throw another term in to muddy the waters) is much, um, not better, more interesting in my opinion. Pity they've discontinued it. Johnny Black is very good as long as you keep in mind what it is. I've recently developed a taste for Johnny Red on the rocks, something I'd have definitely turned my nose up at and drowned it with a mixer ten years ago.

As for making Johnny Blue taste like crap, I'll just say that I think Ballantines 17 year old does the role better at half the price. Making it taste dull on the other hand, is a much easier proposition.

I won't make more suggestions, there are enough good ones above, other than to suggest that if you like Johnny Blue then Glenmorangie or Aberlour would be "safe". Look up Ralphy's "best" reviews - I found some surprises, good advice and he's always entertaining.

If it's American it is, by definition, not Scotch :biggrin1:

It looks like there are a number of artisanal distillers popping up making malt whisky. Or rather, whiskey in this case. According to Wikipedia there's as many as in Tasmania now.

All good, I say, the more the better. If they are successful it will loosen the laws we have that favour the big players (this is already happen here in Oz)

+1 for the Macallan 12 and 18. There's a liquor store here in San Diego that stocks 50ml bottles of the Macallan 18 for $9.99. That's about the same price per ounce as you'd pay for a full bottle so I always have a couple on hand.

And +99 for Ralfy. I've learned a lot from watching his reviews.

Another way to try a few different malts without buying a whole bottle is to ask your local bartender to setup a tasting for you. Sometimes they are willing to give you a 1/2 ounce pour of 3 or 4 malts.

Ardbeg 10 is one of the best values in Scotch and my winter go to with more peat than Highland Park 12 which is my summer favorite. I don't think there are better choices for under $50.00 - I would like to try a $90.00 Lagauvulin (sp)

+1 for the Macallan 12 and 18. There's a liquor store here in San Diego that stocks 50ml bottles of the Macallan 18 for $9.99. That's about the same price per ounce as you'd pay for a full bottle so I always have a couple on hand.

And +99 for Ralfy. I've learned a lot from watching his reviews.

Another way to try a few different malts without buying a whole bottle is to ask your local bartender to setup a tasting for you. Sometimes they are willing to give you a 1/2 ounce pour of 3 or 4 malts.

Which store?

Top Bottom