What's new

Okay Scotch guys.

I'm a low budget scotch lover looking for suggestions!
I dont care for blended whiskys (best I've had is JW Black and Chivas)
I dont care for Islays (can't handle the salt)
Macallan 10-12 tastes bland to me
Glenlivet 12 is ok
there are some others I've tried but dont remember my impressions
I FRICKEN LOVE the Dalmore 12, and would like to try the older stuff as money permits

Any other suggestions for me?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm a low budget scotch lover looking for suggestions!
I dont care for blended whiskys (best I've had is JW Black and Chivas)
I dont care for Islays (can't handle the salt)
Macallan 10-12 tastes bland to me
Glenlivet 12 is ok
there are some others I've tried but dont remember my impressions
I FRICKEN LOVE the Dalmore 12, and would like to try the older stuff as money permits

Any other suggestions for me?

What does Highland Park 12 cost in your area?

Legion

Staff member
What does Highland Park 12 cost in your area?

This^

I bought a bottle recently, and it is an outstanding scotch. It is a little too pricey here for me to drink regularly, but I can see it becoming a favourite when I want to treat myself.

This^

I bought a bottle recently, and it is an outstanding scotch. It is a little too pricey here for me to drink regularly, but I can see it becoming a favourite when I want to treat myself.

This is the best scotch I've ever had.. and I've been a few distilleries in Scotland. I wasn't as fond of those tho. Anyone ever try Glengoyne? I drank it at the distillery there in Scotland and it was stiff!

This is the best scotch I've ever had.. and I've been a few distilleries in Scotland. I wasn't as fond of those tho. Anyone ever try Glengoyne? I drank it at the distillery there in Scotland and it was stiff!
Just finished a bottle recently. Very delicate, no smoke, no peat as the malt is air dried. Has a distinctive malty, granary bread taste. Not as sweet as Speysides.

This^

Agreed. It's delicious.

I love The Dalmore, too, DokRoc. Good stuff.

Johnny Blue is overpriced for the product produced.

The Classic Malt line has some wonderful scotches. Dalwhinnie 15 is an incredible highland single malt that is regarded as the "honey malt." You get the honey everywhere in this dram. It is not a sweet scotch though, as it is a highland. It's a mild to medium bodied scotch. It's on the expensive side though, between $55-65.

If you're into peaty and smoky Talisker 10 and Lagavulin 16 are great. They come from different areas of scotland. Talisker from the Isle of Sky, and Lagavulin is an Islay (pronounced "eye-la") whisky. Talisker has a firm body and has a nose of peat, smoke, and salt. Tasting notes of peat, smoke, peppar, and sweetness. Lagavulin is a freaking peat and smoke monster. DRY DRY peat on the palate, with wood notes and sweetness. Hardcore peat lovers love Lagavulin. Lagavulin runs around $100 and Talisker is around $60.

One thing I have learned is that if there is an option for an older more expensive bottle, it absolutely does not mean it's better. In many cases they are actually worse. Highland Park and Glenmorangie are two right off the top of my head. Glenmorangie 10 is literally better than every other scotch they make. I'm not saying that all the other scotches in their line are bad, just not as good as the 10 year. Highland Park 12 is much better than the 15 and 18 year versions as well.

Glenmorangie is one of my all time favorites. It has a remarkable complexity for only being 10 years old. It's one of the smoothest scotches on the market because they use gin stills. Gin stills are extremely tall, and Glenmorangies stills are the tallest in Scotland. Glenmo is a north highland single malt and has been the #1 selling scotch in scotland for 30 or so years....not an easy feat. This whisky is widely available and relatively cheap. You can find it between $35-40. Not a peaty whisky by any means, and has a lingering finish that keeps changing. BTW it's pronounced Glenm-ORANGE-e...like an orange.

Highland Park 12 kind of has a little of everything it. It's a wonderful whisky that I drink quite a bit. It has a little highland, islay,and speyside characteristics. HP also is renowned as having a dry finish. It is around $35-40.

I just realized how much I am writing on this, and it needs to stop. Last words: There are many many whiskys that blow Blue Label out of the water. Blue Label is a good scotch, and even better if it's a gift! Enjoy it, and enjoy the scotch life.

I recommend everyone checking out ralfystuff on Youtube. Great guy who can teach anyone a thing or two about scotch.

One thing I have learned is that if there is an option for an older more expensive bottle, it absolutely does not mean it's better.

Absolutely.

Highland Park 12 is much better than the 15 and 18 year versions as well

Heresy! The 18YO is better than pretty much anything else out there!!

Of course, YMMV. Mumble, mumble, mumble.

Legion

Staff member
One of the things about older scotches is that some of the areas, or distilleries, individual characteristics can be lessened by the time they spend in the oak. So, for example, say I'm in the mood for a big smoky peat bomb Islay. It seems to be that the older, and more expensive whiskeys have lost a lot of that particular flavour. Sure, they may have gained other qualities, but a lot of the peat has dissipated with time. And that sort of thing can be tasted in a lot of other styles of whiskey as well. Personally I would rather drink a "less refined" version, which still has it's roots showing, so to speak.

At least, that is what I am finding, on my malt journey.

Last edited:
I'm probably repeating what a lot of people have said, but I can fully endorse the notion that some blends are fantastic whiskys. The craftsmanship that these master blenders apply to their formulations is truly magical and for some of the best, I'd argue, more taxing than the production of a fine single malt.

I've had some wonderful blends and some true "muck" singles. I do find a lot of unbacked "snobbery" towards blends, but then again I think a lot of people try the real "bottom of the barrel" stuff and assume they're all like that.

I don't know if being from Scotland has given me a better access to affordable "high end" stuff, but I have tried a lot of different whiskys and have formed my own opinions on each. I can say that limiting yourself to "single malts" is really going to hinder a proper appreciation of the whole range of whiskys available.

As a wee aside, I have had the good fortune to try the Abhainn Dearg (pronounced "Ah-veen J-ah-rag" - Gaidhlig for "Red River") that is produced on the Isle of Lewis. It is a 3 year old and therefore still quite rough, but just to mention - keep your eyes out for this one in the future, it's going to be a blinder.

The Gentleman above speaks truth. FWIW, the **worst** whisky I ever tried was a bottle of Loch Lomond "single malt". I put that bit in quotes, as I'm not sure I believe it. It was stunningly awful. Truly nasty. I shudder even now, as I think about it.

Highland Park 12 is a wonderful whisky at a very reasonable price but the HP 18 puts the lotion in the basket. It's one of the best I've ever had.

I'm partial to Glenfiddich 12 yr old myself, but I don't have the money to buy the high end stuff. I do not like the Glenlivet because it is aged in French white oak barrels, and I do not like the flavor it lends, and that is also why I don't like chardonnay.

Top Bottom