What's new

Shaving Brush Question For You Gentleman

Gents,

i am owed a belated Xmas gift from my dear mother. At first I was going to ask for some Nike dunks that I had designed on Nike ID (I'm a huge sneaker and shoe collector) but then I considered getting a new shaving brush.

The brushes that I currently have

1. The Van Der Hagen Natural Shave Brush (this was my first and even though I now consider it a piece of crap that sheds worse than a dog with onset alopecia, it still holds a special place in my heart)

2. Omega 2012 (Like the way this guy looks, but the bristles are a little too long and stiff for me, making it difficult to quickly whip up a good lather)

3. Crabtree and Evelyn Pure Badger Brush (For $35 I love this guy)

My question is for $150 with tax and shipping what would you guys recommend? I want something with a large knot and soft bristles that can work up lather like a beast. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks so much

Max.

For that kind of money, I wouldn't blow it all on one brush ... you can get a handlful of Semogue boars and still have enough left over for a good selection of creams and soaps and aftershaves.

I hear you. But I've got about 15 aftershaves and close to 30 soaps and creams. I really want to invest in a top tier brush.

I actually would blow it all on 1 brush and it will be a special one you will cherish. if you buy a few $30 brushes, they'll get lost in the shuffle.

Shavemac Silvertip Bulb. something like the #25 from WCS, or order direct from Shavemac stock brushes or get a custom handle with exact loft and shape you want with the EXPERT SELECTOR

I own both brushes below and can vouch for their softness and ability to whip up a lather.

there is also the Curvy Kent BLK8 that would run you around $120 from some UK vendors, which is much cheaper then purchasing it from US vendors

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd try out a Saville Row 3824:

proxy.php

Very versatile brush for $125 shipped from QEDUSA.

Ben

Wow Bruce, I didn't know about the custom option. I could definitely have some fun with that. I was going to make my own sneakers, it would probably be a lot of fun to make my own brush:)

Wow Bruce, I didn't know about the custom option. I could definitely have some fun with that. I was going to make my own sneakers, it would probably be a lot of fun to make my own brush:)

+1 on Ben's suggestion of the SR brush. I picked that one up a while back and it's a beauty. Engraved lettering on both sides, beautiful handle, ultra soft bristles, nice flow through, it's got it all :drool:

be careful....very very careful.

I have one, and hear it's a slippery slope and can get quite addictive.

the normal brush selector is limited, the EXPERT selector is where you want to make your brush. you can also contract them directly and get items made out of material etc, that is not shown, like this one i just had made is a material that is not on their site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if I wanted to throw that money on a double edge razor are there even options. I have a Merkur 23C and a Futur. I'm really happy with the Futur, so I'm not sure if there's good reason to upgrade there.

If you bowl lather, the Kent BK8. I'm still kicking myself for not picking one up yesterday. Plus, with what you have left over you could get a SOC boar.

Nice material. Is that faux marble?

Not sure what its called. It's acrylic blue marble swirled. The one he has listed on the Shavemac site is 1/2 swirl and then 1/2 solid, which I did not like.

i contacted them and asked if they had this material, which had been shown to me on the custom Shavemac thread, and they said they did. Done and done. I ordered and it was at my door in about 10 days

Probably going to wind up making my own if I go the bruch route. I like that I can get it engraved and that's it a 1 of 1. Something like that you can leave to your kids and I like that idea.

Probably going to wind up making my own if I go the bruch route. I like that I can get it engraved and that's it a 1 of 1. Something like that you can leave to your kids and I like that idea.

may people have their initial engraved on it, dates or whatever. they can do it on the sides or the underside of the brush.

check out this thread, for lots and lots of pics of the custom shavemacs....post #1 is the same material as mine

OP,
Bruce gave you some excellent advice. There are actually a lot of choices at 150.00 and rather than get bogged down in all of them, the Shavemac is not only a brush that you will instantly recognize as a superior product, but on the off chanc that you don't like it, it can be off loaded on the BST in minutes.

you have a terrific Mommy.
m

to spend tat kind of money solely on a brush?
shavemac customized to your liking- knot, handle. loft, grade of hair. every man's dream

Top Bottom