What's new

Advice for not nicking moles?

Greetings,

Still new at DE shaving, only been at it a handful of times and each time is getting closer and more comfortable. One thing I have trouble with is moles; I have one on my neck and one on my cheek very close to the mustache area. They're not very large, but I have managed to nick at least one of them each time I have DE shaved (and one shave I nicked both). Never really gave 'em much thought with my old mach 3 and foamy as it was never an issue.
Since I have also had a couple very close shaves where on seperate occasions I managed to not nick or irritate either one or the other, I know it is possible to get the job done without hitting them. I'm just wondering is it a result of applying too much pressure? Would stretching the skin help the razor glide over them? I was hoping maybe some of you can share some experiences you've had.

Regards,

-Dave

I would suggest that you take a wet finger and remove the lather from on top of the moles before you make a pass and then shave around them. As your technique improves, you may find that you are able to shave over the top of them without injury, but they can be a pain in the butt in the meantime.

If you hit them when going over you can shave around them then go over really lightly with your razor head or trim the hair on/near them by hand with a small razor or scissors.

I have a mole on my neck and one(beauty mark) mole in my mustache area. I'm growing a mustache right now so that mole isn't an issue but I usually just shave close the them then if there are any hair growing out of them I trim the with scissors.

I have this same issue. One on my jaw line and one close to me ear. I just go lightly over them and still sometimes they get nicked. Figure I will either cut them offer or they will make it until I can get to the doctors to have them removed. A little witch hazel or a styptic and they stop bleeding.

Have the dermatologist chop them off. I had 2 on my chin that I had taken care of about 15 years ago. I still have the color, but they sit slightly below the rest of my skin now. Not painful at all to have done, and didn't take long.

I would suggest that you take a wet finger and remove the lather from on top of the moles before you make a pass and then shave around them. As your technique improves, you may find that you are able to shave over the top of them without injury, but they can be a pain in the butt in the meantime.

+1

Seriously, I put up with my trouble spot mole for quite some time. Then, while at my Dr.'s for a check up I asked what all would be involved in having it removed. She said she could do it right then and there. She gave me a shot of painkiller, took a razor blade (ironic, I know!) and cut that baby off level with the skin. She had me hold a cloth on it until the light bleeding stopped and that was it. Now I can't even feel it and get great shaves with no trouble. Mine was near my upper lip. Get it done. You'll never regret it!

John

When I had some moles on my face I took the lather off them and put my finger on them to shave around them. After I while I had them removed by a dermatologist. Was fast, painless, and eliminated the problem.

Just being careful around them is probably the best advice you'll get, but why even bother with them. If they're causing you any problems at all, just go to the Doc. and have them taken care of. As you can see there's almost nothing too it, and it'll make your shave experience so much better.

Thanks to the previous posters for the suggestions. I have the same situation with one spot in an awkward place that I can also "glide over" with a Mach 3, but am concerned about with a DE. I recall whacking it good more than a few times in the Atra or Sensor days, with the telltale bloody, double-line marks left. I was hoping there might be something other than "just be careful," but I'll just deal with it for now.

Top Bottom