What's new

Homemade Talcum Powder

Due to a complete lack of reasonably priced mens talcs in my part of the world I'm considering making
my own up, seems easy enough using ingredients from the supermarket. The hardest part I think will
be sourcing the correct container.
Does anyone else do this or am I a total nutter on my own? :blink:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't think it's any more bizarre than folks who make their own after shave or their own melt and pour soaps.
Any plastic bottle of appropriate size with a larger screw on cap should work.
Got a dremel or a drill and a 52 gauge drill bit?
Make some holes in the cap and you should be good to go.

It sounds like you may want to go bigger than I have done but I'll tell you my approach that I tried. This is from recommendations on the interwebs.

* I used a half empty bottle of baby powder. My family is growing so no more need for that - so I thought. I'm not a fan of baby powder scent but that is not an issue.
* Identify your favorite cologne or aftershave to add scent. You will use a fair amount so AS is better.
* Get two cotton balls.
* Dowse the cotton balls in the scent.
* Place both cotton balls in the baby powder container and shake.
* Shake every day for about a week, keeping the container shut.
* You'll notice the scent taking over in a day or two.
* After a week, take out the cotton balls. Chopsticks work. If you leave 'em in too long, they disintegrate and plug up the bottle.

BTW the cap on a baby powder bottle pops right off with a screwdriver and pops right back on.

This wouldn't work with a full bottle because you need the shake and the room to develop the scent in the bottle. You can buy a bottle of talc at the dollar store or wherever. Pour off half if you need to - it isn't gold. Or save in another container. Just don't get the corn starch stuff - we're making talc, not gumbo.

And the look on wifey's face doing yet another science project - priceless. I don't explain it :)

I'd be interested in this as well. As far as a container, why not reuse something from the pantry?

This is the recipe I'm thinking of using:

Perfumed After Bath Powder
8 ounces/ 237 Grams Tapioca Starch
4 ounces/ 119 grams Corn Starch
4 ounces/ 119 grams Arrowroot Powder
22 drops fragrance or essential oils.

Combine powders and mix well.
Add oils to absorbent cotton pad.
Place pad with oil in container with powder, shake or stir well, allow to sit 24 hours, shake or stir again, allow to sit another 24 hours, shake or stir powder, remove pad and
discard, place powder into containers, it is ready to use. Makes 2 cups powder

I was thinking of using a cheap talc for the container as well and a large jar for the mixing and scenting :biggrin1:

Found another recipe that uses rice flour- this is extrafine I believe. Off to the supermarket :biggrin1:

That's awesome! Please let us know what your final recipe is and reviews of what you will change in the future so that I can come up with something also.

Will do :thumbup:
Blimmin supermarket was out of riceflour so may have to wait until they restock or when I'm ranging a bit further afield next week.

Ok- An update
As there seems to be a riceflour shortage here at the moment I have decided to go the cornflour route. Using stuff to hand I have made a mixture of Lemon and Cedarwood essential oil for my 'fragrance' about 10 drops each on a cotton ball to approx 50 grams cornflour. Dropped the lot into a large glass jar with airtight lid and shake n stir every day, so far, after 3 days things are smelling like a talc should. I've even found a cheap plastic container for the shaker :thumbup1:

More news to follow shortly...

Its working well I think, used it a few times now, doesn't clump or anything in fact it feels like a talc should. Fragrance is OK needs some work tho, must try harder as they say :lol:
I'm trying to finish up some Johnstons for the container, the one I got ain't the best :huh:

Top Bottom