What's new

What's cooking, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the farmers' market heavy on storage crops and six inches of snow on the ground, it's time for some root vegetable bisque.

Parsnips and rutabaga and celeriac, oh my!

$2013-02-09 15.59.29.jpg
Asian style roast chicken with olive oil roast potatoes and baked beans from the tin/can if you want the recipe will dig it out for you.

4 loaves of bread and 6 hoagie rolls rising. Getting ready to demo my kitchen for an update, so we'll be having a lot of sandwiches for dinner over the next month.

Sushi (tuna rolls) for dinner tonight, sticky rice cooling, red peppers and cucumbers julienned.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hey Toyman. You must be looking forward to that new kitchen. They always say kitchens and bathroom upgrades add value to a house.

Welcome to the Mess Hall!

Vietnamese rice paper filled with fried rice (with onion, ginger, peas, beansprouts, coriander and mint) and sliced turkey, shrimp and lemongrass kebab
proxy.php

Somehow the bride and I got in the habit of making obnoxiously decadent pasta dishes for Valentine's Day instead of going out. Since it's a busy week and lasagne keeps, I made this today. The bride walked in as it came out of the oven. One sniff later she insisted we do VD dinner early. She's not a fan of cheesy or overly rich food, but she loved it. We both agreed that because we love each other, we wouldn't make this a regular dish--good for special occasions, but WAY too rich for regular eating.

Clockwise from top left: (1) mushrooms, garden herbs, and too much butter (2) whole grain noodles, partially boiled and about the only healthy thing here (3) fontina (4) béchamel with gruyere (5) ricotta, egg, and chèvre.

Prepped with the fifth cheese, parmesan.

An hour later at 350.

Plated with spinach. Come to think of it, spinach IN the lasagne would have been good.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Olive and Sun-Dried Tomato Fougasse.

There is hardly any bread that I don't enjoy hot out of the oven. This was especially tasty.

$Fougasse.jpg

proxy.php

I'm still getting to grips with this stone, but this one came out great! Taking the pizza and stone out of the oven and leaving it to cool for 5 minutes gave the base a really good crunch

proxy.php

I'm still getting to grips with this stone, but this one came out great! Taking the pizza and stone out of the oven and leaving it to cool for 5 minutes gave the base a really good crunch

stones are great fun!! arent they

great pizza dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

Ok I see the little green peppers . . . are they hot?

proxy.php

Dave, one thing to keep in mind, get that stone in the oven and let it preheat for at least half an hour. I usually got for a full hour if I can. It'll drastically change your pizza.

Aye that stone was in there preheating for the duration of the dough's proof :biggrin1: and Talal get the cookie - jalapenos! Albeit a very small amount, I only had two in the refrigerator.. Normally I would've loaded it up, but hey, pizza's a good way to use leftover bits and pieces

Last night was a SMASHBURGER! Get a cast iron skillet ripping hot, drop in a 1/4lb ball of 80/20 ground beef and SMASH it with a short-order-cook style steel turner.

1.5 minutes a side and God bless the Maillard reaction. The beef ends up fully cooked (way overdone for a steak) but it is cooked so fast the burger is still very juicy on the inside. I made two patties, added american cheese and HP sauce. Not a fancy meal but darn tasty!

SMASHBURGER by cxg231, on Flickr

cxg231 ^^ now that IS TASTY

and to add on to your maillard comment, heres my attempt tonight! on a grass fed rib eye! . Same preparation / ingredients as my previous posts.

using my trusty #10 Erie

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Almost want to start an "order" here. Knights of the Maillard Table? :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom