What's new

What's cooking, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a craving for something simple, so I made some largish english muffins, cream cheese, and warm blueberry reduction.
proxy.php

no pics this time, home made chicken shawarma though!

Marinated 2 free range breasts in a kefir based marinade, consisting of : Kefir, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, pink salt, turmeric, cumin, coriander, sri lankan crushed chilli, cardamom and paprika. Let them sit in it for about 10 hours then baked them till moist and tender. Shred apart long strips for pita wraps with cucumber :)

garlic sauce is simply olive oil and garlic in a perfect ratio that creates a spread.

Exactly! And this recipe is simple, and tastes as much like store bought ones, as homemade bread tastes like the store bought, pre-sliced stuff... My kids ate most of them, with Nutella, or PB&J, nice to see them dig into this instead of "Frosting Coated Sugar Bombs"!

Here ya go, I can`t say its mine, but it will be the one I stick to!

[FONT=&quot]English Muffins[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 3/4 cups lukewarm milk[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3 tablespoons softened butter[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 1/4 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, to taste[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 large egg, lightly beaten[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]4 1/2 cups unbleached flour[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 teaspoons instant yeast [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]semolina or farina, for sprinkling the griddle or pan[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Directions[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1) Combine all of the ingredients (except the semolina or farina) in a mixing bowl, or the bucket of your bread machine.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) This is a very soft dough, so you'll need to treat it a bit differently than most yeast doughs. If you have a stand mixer, beat the dough using the flat beater paddle until it starts coming away from the sides of the bowl, and is satin-smooth and shiny; this will take about 5 minutes at medium-high speed. When you lift up the beater, the dough will be very stretchy. If you have a bread machine, simply use the dough cycle.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3) Scrape the dough into a rough ball, and cover the bowl. Let the dough rise until it's nice and puffy; this will take 1 to 2 hours or so.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4) Prepare your griddle(s). Using two griddles allows you to cook all the muffins at once; but since you probably don't have two griddles, you'll need to cook the muffins in shifts. Whatever you use — an electric griddle, stovetop griddle, frying pan, electric frying pan — sprinkle it heavily with semolina or farina. If you're using a griddle or frying pan that's not well-seasoned (or non-stick), spray it with non-stick vegetable oil spray first, before adding the semolina or farina.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5) Gently deflate the dough, and divide it into 16 pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball, then flatten the balls until they're about 3" to 3 1/2" in diameter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6) The easiest way to handle and cook these muffins is to lay them right onto the cold surface you'll be frying them on. That way, you don't have to move them once they're risen; and they won't mind cooking very slowly as you fire the griddle up to its desired heat. If you don't have enough griddle space to do this, sprinkle a baking sheet heavily with semolina or farina, and place the muffins on the sheet; they can be fairly close together. Either way, sprinkle the tops of the muffins with additional semolina or farina.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7) Cover the muffins (a piece of parchment works well), and let them rest for 20 minutes. They won't rise like crazy, but will puff a bit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8) Cook the muffins over low heat for 7 to 15 minutes per side, until their crust is golden brown, and their interior is cooked through. When done, the center of a muffin should register about 200°F on an instant-read thermometer. If you find the muffins have browned before they're cooked all the way through, no worries; simply pop them into a preheated 350°F oven for about 10 minutes or so, or until they're thoroughly cooked. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9) Remove the muffins from the griddle (or oven), and let them cool thoroughly before enjoying. Remember: use a fork to split, not a knife to cut. Fork-split muffins will have wonderful nooks and crannies; knife-cut ones won't.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yield: 16 large (3" to 3 1/2") English muffins[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

So, I promised photos of my attempts at back bacon (alas, I can't get the right cut of pork locally and I may not be able to slice each rasher as thin as the stuff from the shops but the flavour is good). Here we go:

$P1010047.JPG
$Bacon.jpg
Not pictured: A bit of brown sauce, baked beans, and mmm. ;)

Lunch tomorrow will be one of these beauties (a bacon chop, each about 3/4 of an inch thick) with some mashed potatoes, I think.
$P1010048.JPG

Nice work on the pork curing Michael!

Lunch today was pretty good. NY Strip with some focaccia slices and some cooked swiss chard on the side (not pictured). Sometimes it's good to have a day off. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a flat of flank steak in the freezer that I pulled down for fajitas. I made beef jerky instead, using Alton Brown's recipe as a jumping off point.

The batch on the left is bourbon. I omitted the liquid smoke, honey, and red pepper flakes from the original recipe and added brown sugar and a shot of Woodford. Batch on the right is four-pepper beef with black pepper, red pepper flakes, 3 jalapeno, and 2 habanero (also sans liquid smoke. Can't stand the flavor). The bourbon batch has flavor for miles and the bride loves the hot batch.

Both batches marinated for 2 days. We don't have room for a food dehydrator at our tiny house, so I hung these on skewers from the oven rack, set to warm, with the door cracked for about 7 hours. I sliced the hot strips longer and wider, and they came out of the oven chewier (which I like).

Bourbon:

Four-pepper:

It's my daughter "birthday" party so we're having teriyaki meatballs with pineapple. These I'm getting ready to throw on the grill. In the pot are mini stuffed bell peppers. All with jasmine rice. Yummy! Cake soon to be delivered. :001_wub:

Attachments

• $2013-02-02_11-09-20_295.jpg
    $2013-02-02_11-09-20_295.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 97
  • $2013-02-02_11-09-47_685.jpg
    $2013-02-02_11-09-47_685.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 98
  • $2013-02-02_11-46-53_654.jpg
    $2013-02-02_11-46-53_654.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I had a flat of flank steak in the freezer that I pulled down for fajitas. I made beef jerky instead, using Alton Brown's recipe as a jumping off point.

The batch on the left is bourbon. I omitted the liquid smoke, honey, and red pepper flakes from the original recipe and added brown sugar and a shot of Woodford. Batch on the right is four-pepper beef with black pepper, red pepper flakes, 3 jalapeno, and 2 habanero (also sans liquid smoke. Can't stand the flavor). The bourbon batch has flavor for miles and the bride loves the hot batch.

Both batches marinated for 2 days. We don't have room for a food dehydrator at our tiny house, so I hung these on skewers from the oven rack, set to warm, with the door cracked for about 7 hours. I sliced the hot strips longer and wider, and they came out of the oven chewier (which I like).

Bourbon:

Four-pepper:
How do they taste? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom