What's new

What's cooking, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
First snowfall of the season. Ao I am making the breakfast my mother made any time it snowed on the weekend when I was growing up. Soft cooked eggs over cut up toast. Nothing fancy at all, but delicious. :biggrin1:

proxy.php

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This morning, Ina Garten's Challah French Toast. Man, it was so good. From the 3 pieces that were leftover, I may have one for dessert, tonight. :yesnod:

Had my Asian in-laws over for a birthday, only request was that they wanted beef and needed noodles (for longevity). I'm no match for them when it comes to Chinese cuisine so beef stroganoff was my only alternative Made the egg noodles the night before and grilled up a flank steak for the beef...added to a portobello stroganoff with goat cheese (Alton Brown has a great recipe). Had baby peas and red pearl onions on the side, helped cut the richness. A great evening!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Beef keema matar and garlic and coriander naan again for me, I think I'll have these recipes at a point I'm really happy with this time so I'll post them up when I'm done. That pineapple upside down cake looks great!

So, here is some streaky bacon I've been working on using a nice bit of belly pork I picked up at a local Vietnamese market. Cure #1, regular salt, maple syrup, and some finely ground pepper with a bit of liquid smoke (I don't own a smoker and generally only make British bacon (which is unsmoked)). I let the meat cure for about 6 days and then I rinsed the remaining cure off the belly before patting it dry so it could dry out thoroughly inside my refrigerator for a day and a half.

The flavour is fairly good so it's not too salty, not too smoky, not too sweet, and it crisped up nicely in the pan. I didn't take photos when I was testing it this morning at breakfast but here are the results pre-cooking:
$P1010044.JPG

I'll see if I can't get photos of my back bacon (not quite the right cut of pork but one has to make do with what one finds) when that's ready in a day or two.

Last edited:
one day i hope to make my own bacon.. but then ahain 1 day i also hope to own way better appliances than what are in this rental property.. right now

Tonight was cast-iron pan-roasted pork chops with a roasted shallot and some sliced and roasted Yukon Golds.

It was good.

Last edited by a moderator:
and MORE STEAK!!!

grass fed rib eye, cooked in #10 erie (late 1800s pan) , seasoned with pink salt ONLY

roasted beets and carrots, and roasted potatoes. fat base coconut oil, pink salt, cubeb pepper, put garlic in half way through (whole pieces) and fresh thyme last 5-10 mins to not burn them. Sweet smoked paprika with the carrots & beets and hot smoked paprika with the potatoes (spanish). I use the jamie oliver technique as well half way through, compress them down into the hot oil with a potato masher to increase surface area and crisp. It also entraps oil in between the skin and the potato .. its incredible , you can see the liquid in there!

Also for the potatoes i use this little hand cracked compressed oil mister called "misto" with some organic red wine vinegar, i mist a thin layer on the potatoes during the last 10 mins , gives it a nice zing!

ofcourse for the finale I deglazed pan (beef fat) with organic mini porcinis as a mop!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yeah yeah . . . no mention of the mushrooms then? This is killer with steak. I think I made a post here about mushroom ketchup . . . anybody with surplus mushrooms needs to try this.

Unfortunately my dinner didn't look very appetising, I made pasta for the first time so added a very simple bechamel sauce mixed with red onion, parmesan and an olive, caper and anchovy tapenade
proxy.php

Tastes pretty damned good though! All it needs is some prawns or something in the sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom