What's new

What's cooking, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
A new year is upon us. Let's all continue to share our great meal ideas. If you have pictures of what you have created, recipes to share . . . please post them and if you have questions I'm certain we can help.

Post away!

From the same butcher that I got my beef from that we had last night, I got some lamb and mint sausages. Griddled them on my cast iron skillet, made some onion gravy and buttery mashed spuds and just had them for lunch. Splendid.

As an aside I am well happy we have found a proper butcher here, the quality of their meat - mostly Aussie from what I can see - is excellent and you can actually talk to someone about the cuts who knows what he's talking about. Bit more expensive than the supermarket but worth it.

Made some tacos last night. Sweated some onion and a half a serrano chile. I like a 50/50 split of pork and beef. Toss in some spices I mixed up(light on the cumin) and a bit of cornstarch.
Then I add some chorizo at the end until it is heated through. I get my tortillas from this local Mexican restaurant when I can.

No pictures this time, they weren't all that exciting to look at anyhoo.

Hello all and Happy New Year!

Back to the grinder with my kitchen helper. Italian sausage and my first try at hot dogs, smoked the dogs with cherry wood.

$Michael mixing meat 1.jpg

$michael twisting.jpg

$Tom HD smoked 1.jpg

$HD on bun.jpg
Tom

Last edited:
Looks great, Tom!

made some roast beef hash for breakfast this morning. At this point, I am really just basing everything I cook on what I can use my new De Buyer skillet for! gotta love having new toys in the kitchen to play with, right?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Thanks to one of our enablers, Talal, I acquired a rice maker with stainless steel pot. Tonight I made some brown Spanish rice based on a Gestalt mix of recipes I browsed on the internet.

4 Cups brown rice
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Chili powder
a couple of shakes of garlic powder
1 1/2 cups of Salsa
1 packet of chicken bullion (cause I added water when I should have used chicken stock)

Amazing taste.

I broiled a chicken breast for my wife and a New York Strip steak I found in the freezer.

A couple of pics.

$NutriWare rice maker.jpg
$Steak and Rice.jpg

Last edited:
I've been following several threads here in the Mess Hall last year & figured I would start posting some of my cooking ventures.

I made shrimp scampi with angel hair pasta last night. The side was a simple salad using spinach instead of lettuce.

While Cooking
$Scampi Cooking.jpg

Finished Product
$Scampi Finished.jpg

David, that looks great. Did you cook the shrimp yourself or purchase them pre-cooked (they look gray in the first picture, but I cannot tell)? I have never cooked them myself, haha.

Thanks. Yeah, they were raw shrimp. I don't like using the cooked shrimp because I end up over cooking them. This was my first attempt at the scampi, but it was supper simple.

I'm making chicken marsala tonight and will be serving it over whole wheat angel hair. I dislike whole wheat pasta but I need to eat more whole grains. :[

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm making chicken marsala tonight and will be serving it over whole wheat angel hair. I dislike whole wheat pasta but I need to eat more whole grains. :[

Let us know how it went.

I love steel cut oats for breakfast. I've done some grain salads that were pretty fun.

I had some brioche dough that I needed to use up so I rummaged through the pantry and decided to make Mexican hot chocolate brioche with dried cherries.

proxy.php

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I had some brioche dough that I needed to use up so I rummaged through the pantry and decided to make Mexican hot chocolate brioche with dried cherries.

I want to see pictures when it is done. It looks really promising and sounds yummy! :w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom