What's new

Merkur 37C Slant

My recent package in the mail was a 37C and MWF.

So I loaded the 37C with the included Merkur blade, lathered up the MWF and had a fantastic shave.

Second shave with the 37C was a full head shave. Bit me a couple of times on the head, but again a fantastic close shave.

Third shave was great, fourth shave a Silver Blue went in as the blade and again has a great shave.

The 37C has given me some of the easiest closest shaves I've ever had. That with the MWF basically just replaced everything on my counter.

The merkur blade is way too harsh for me, especially in the slant... voskhod is nice tho

The merkur blade is way too harsh for me, especially in the slant... voskhod is nice tho

I've shaved a few times with the Silver Blue, and I'm not sure about it. Getting good shaves, but the feel is sort-of "vague". May try a Feather next...

I've shaved a few times with the Silver Blue, and I'm not sure about it. Getting good shaves, but the feel is sort-of "vague". May try a Feather next...

So I had my best ever shave on the weekend with the 37C/Gillette Silver Blue/Wool Fat. I've had shaves before that would be defined as BBS, but this was beyond that. I'm highly impressed with this razor. Approximately 20 years as a wet shaver and it was a "WOW!" moment after the first shave and every shave since (including head shaving).

I never liked Merkur blades. I think they are the worst. But one day I tried one in my 37c and it was as smooth as can be. It seems to me that the 37c makes any blade smooth.

The 37C Is forgiving, even with the Merkur blade installed...well, maybe. :blink: (My Dorcos give better results.) But slide a KAI, Feather, or IP Red in the razor and the resulting shave produces an amazing three pass.

Seems like this would be a great razor to upgrade to.

Would it be a huge upgrade from ej89? Would i be primarily using 37c once i have been exposed to it?

Man i feel so cheap, but i just cant commit before trying. Wish i had a family member who DE shaves.

I have the Muhle version of the 89 and I haven't picked it up since I got the 37C.

I got the 37C and MWF on the same day. In 20 years of wet shaving, I've never had shaves as close as when I've used that combo.

As always around here, YMMV, but soon all my other DE razors will be going away...

The 37c should be fine - for the angle keep the flat sides of the head parallel to your skin, and keep the pressure very light - should shave closer than your 89, comfortably too!

My findings: I've had a37C and a DE89. My 37C was much more efficient and smoother shaving than my DE89; but one has to be a more mindful when shaving with a Slant; the result, however, is a cleaner and closer shave with fewer passes when compared with a DE89. Two passes with a Slant did the job for me; and these days, as my technique has improved, I could likely get by with one pass and a few touch-ups (neck and chin), just as I do with two top, and only, razors: an RRBS and an 34C (not as harsh as a DE89, and, for me, more efficient than an EJ).

First shave with the 37C and a Feather blade yesterday. Felt very much like the shave with the GSB. Overall it was a OK shave, I think marred by not the greatest shave cream.

I have my eye on a 37c. I'm still new and working on my technique. But I suspect that the 37c will be my third razor.

I currently have a Maggard MR6. My second razor will be an open comb, third will be a slant.

I have my eye on a 37c. I'm still new and working on my technique. But I suspect that the 37c will be my third razor.

I currently have a Maggard MR6. My second razor will be an open comb, third will be a slant.

Similar to what I did. I want from the R89, added a RazoRock Jaws OC (which was a massive under-performer for me) and then I added the slant.

Razor 4 is now on its way.

Got rid of the Futor, been using the 34C for awhile, and today just ordered my 37C. Looking forward to getting it on Sunday.

In case anyone wonders why I got rid of the Futor: way too finicky. I want a SR that you put the blade in and is in the correct position all the time. I don't have a desire to tinker. 34C is right on every single blade change and since I use a new blade on every single shave it was the best choice.

This thread was the final push to making this order and I thank you.

I'm totally with the OP on this one... I've had my 39C for a couple of weeks now and cannot fault it. First shave was the best I'd had, and they have been continually getting better the more accostomed I get. My first blade in it was an Astra, now I'm onto a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and it's brilliant.

A previous comment was that given the stories of how aggressive it conciously forces you to go light, and for me, this is where I learned the importance of letting the weight of the razor head do all the work.

I have a box of the Italian Bolzano's waiting for me, I am probably going to use one of those next.

Well I have received the 37C and used it and here are my thoughts.
1. The Merkur blade that came with it sucked.
2. Using one of the 3 preferred brands that I currently have, I was getting a smooth shave.
3. It does shave better than my 34C
4. I see no reason to go with the 39C for the weight of the 37C is heavy enough
5. DO NOT put added pressure/weight to the safety razor
6. I have a big hands and fingers, the short handle is actually a perfect choice for it's better to hold it with two fingers than to grip the entire handle (large or small)

I understand why it's a better shave: the guillotine concept.

As for now I am a slant user. The only thing I am curious about is open-comb-slant. But I didn't see Merkur making one and if I go that route I would prefer Merkur that looks just like the 34C & 37C.

Well I have received the 37C and used it and here are my thoughts.
1. The Merkur blade that came with it sucked.
2. Using one of the 3 preferred brands that I currently have, I was getting a smooth shave.
3. It does shave better than my 34C
4. I see no reason to go with the 39C for the weight of the 37C is heavy enough
5. DO NOT put added pressure/weight to the safety razor
6. I have a big hands and fingers, the short handle is actually a perfect choice for it's better to hold it with two fingers than to grip the entire handle (large or small)

I understand why it's a better shave: the guillotine concept.

As for now I am a slant user. The only thing I am curious about is open-comb-slant. But I didn't see Merkur making one and if I go that route I would prefer Merkur that looks just like the 34C & 37C.

It's interesting you say that re the handle, I'm the same as you with my big ol' gorilla paws, and I like the long handle because I hold it at the bottom third which allows me to use the weight of the razor head and not put on any pressure i.e. my old way of shaving was to hold the handle right to the bottom of the plate and inevitably applying too much pressure. Either way, glad to hear you've also appreciated moving to a slant too!

Top Bottom