What's new

What are your favorite TV shows?

I worked my way through many that are listed in this thread. I would say my current top five would be:

1. The Sopranos
2. The Wire
3. Game of Thrones
4. Breaking Bad
5. A tie between Oz and Lost

TCM. No commercials. Not edited for content, not edited for length. Not pan and scanned. Old films, out of print films, premier films (never shown on tv), foreign, rare, etc.

Mostly my wife and I prefer Brit TV shows. Currently we've been enjoying Death In Paradise and As Time Goes By. Longmire was the only U.S. TV show my wife and I were into. Unfortunately the idiots at A&E have just cancelled it, so the A&E channel is now on our blocked list.

I'll only mention the current ones that I really, really like.

Gunshi Kanbee - very cool Japanese historical drama about clans in 16th century Japan; it's still running on JTV.
The Good Wife - at its best, the most gripping and realistic legal drama ever.
House of Cards - a knowing look at power games at Washington
60 Minutes - every show is gripping, even if you're watching a repeat

The Good Wife - at its best, the most gripping and realistic legal drama ever.
I agree with this description, but with extreme emphasis on "AT ITS BEST." Sadly, I think its on the downhill slide. What used to be gripping is now slipping.

The plot-lines are getting too complex and hard to follow. If you miss one episode, its hard to figure out what's going on when you come back to the show. There are so many new characters being introduced, you can't tell the players without a scorecard, and all the inter-personal romances and sexual relationships get in the way of the regular office politics and courtroom drama.

The death of Will Gardner came as a shock, but the way they did it was brilliant. Josh Charles decision to leave the show when it was on top was a sound career move for him, but replacing him with Michael J. Fox leaves a lot to be desired. I think the show would have been better without him as a regular character, although his occasional courtroom antics opposite Alicia Florek were pretty good.

I think the episode where Will died is when the show jumped the shark, and it will be on a downhill slide for the next two or three seasons until it gets cancelled.

It's Always Sunny -- The most unlikeable idiots on tv...and the most hilarious.
Boardwalk Empire -- Steve Buscemi...'nuff said.
Sherlock -- The wifely unit loves her some Cumberbatch...the production values on each episode is what keeps me interested.

Top Bottom