What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread V- B&B's BBQ depository

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My wife and I often have just bruschetta made on the BBQ. Brush olive oil on both sides of slices of French bread, toast on the BBQ then rub one side with a clove of garlic then load with bruschetta sauce home made or store bought. Yes this is a Hijack. Sorry.

Keep the hijacks coming!

I like to make roasted salsa. I'll grill all the vegetables over a very hot fire until they have a good bit of char and then dump them all in my blender, add some lime juice and salt, then blend it until it's the consistency I like. You can do the same thing with the tomatoes for bruschetta, the smoke gives them a nice meaty flavor.

Keep the hijacks coming!

I like to make roasted salsa. I'll grill all the vegetables over a very hot fire until they have a good bit of char and then dump them all in my blender, add some lime juice and salt, then blend it until it's the consistency I like. You can do the same thing with the tomatoes for bruschetta, the smoke gives them a nice meaty flavor.

I do the same but skip the blender. I use a seasoned molcajete, it really adds flavor. I must admit I cheated, I just asked my mother if I could keep have hers and she agreed. Now matter how hard you wash it with soap dish, it always smell like cumin, garlic, and all sorts of spices. Imagine 20+ years of spice grounding, salsas and guac on the thing.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I needed to look up "molcajete
" $0023.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well I looked up tejolote . . . none are coming to a place near me. Fruit from a Mexican Hawthorn? I'd like to try that.

We haven't done anything but burgers this year so today is pork two ways.

Pulled pork, marinated and injected with bourbon aged cider. About 11 hours in.

proxy.php

Garlic lime pork. Two hours on the grill so far.

proxy.php

My oldest boy is graduating from high school in two weeks. Today I smoked 33 (raw weight) pounds of pork butt for nearly 10 hours. The results were delicious. After it cools down we will vacuum seal it and then freeze it.

proxy.php

Second shot with the BGE. I made some kebab with shrimp, chicken, onion, green pepper, pineapple, mango and mushroom. As a side dish, I grilled some peach and then topped it with a touch of honey and blue cheese:

Thanks, Shawn. The BBQ isn't looking too shabby in its own right! I'm looking forward to trying a little pork on the BGE!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looks like some great cookin' going on this weekend!

I only just did a small 8 pound brisket.

Just put on the smoker.

Used some Stubb's lump charcoal, hickory and pecan...smokin' away.

Smokin' done (just had to scarf the tiny piece that fell off of the point).

Point cut, and some slices of the flat. Point is going to burnt ends tomorrow when I do some baby backs.

And remember why we have this holiday...Dad was a combat rifleman attached to a tank division in WWII. He was in the Battle of the Bulge and had a half-track blown out from underneath him when they started to take Trier.

A special thanks to those that were in Vietnam and got spit upon when they came home...I only missed that by a couple of years...thank goodness.

And God Bless those that are in harm's way now.

Giving smoking a try for the first time today on my webber kettle. I'll be using the "snake" method, with some mesquite. The chicken has been brined and will get a dusting of rub.

^ nice looking brisket.

I have some wings on my gas grill right now..hopefully I can snap some pics before they are all gone.

Here are the results! I was super impressed by how easy this was. Held temp at 250 for the whole 2.5 hours. And I easily had another 6 hours worth of coals ready to go. This opens up the option of nice briskets and shoulders! The last picture shows how much charcoal was used, it was just under a third of the "snake."
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom