What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread V- B&B's BBQ depository

WOW, that's awesome guys.

Looking forward to many pics, tips and grilling tips this year from you veteran smokers.

we are planning burgers for tomorrow, so look for a pic with about 3' of snow in the background. i'll get a chance to try out my new Thermapen too.

A simple cook of burgers, with a little twist.

1/2 ground pork, 1/2 ground beef. mixed in some shredded marble cheese, to make "Inside Out Cheeseburgers" with a side of tacos.

Got to use the Thermapen today....man, that thing lives up to the hype. Stuck it in the burger and within 2 sec, I had the reading.

I guess I forgot to cover the BBQ after the last use. There is a nice Vermont Castings BBQ under all the snow, that fired up with the first push of the button. We use the Vision Kamado to the right (unseen) for any major cooking or when we want true flavour, but today was a quick and easy meal, so no need to fire it up.

$20130101_161132.jpg$20130101_163847.jpg$20130101_172809.jpg$IMG_7276.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thought I'd do an Italian fatty for New Years.

Got some hot Italian sausage and layered some mozzarella, provolone, and romano cheese.

proxy.php

Then put on some sauteed onions, garlic, green peppers, and mushrooms.

proxy.php

Then some chopped olives sprinkled on top.

proxy.php

Then put on some pepperoni, salami, and prosciutto.

proxy.php

All rolled in bacon and ready to rock.

proxy.php

About an hour cooking over lump charcoal and a hickory/apple wood mix, along with a couple of racks of baby backs. The top one has a Best Odds Rib Rub that I found online and the other has the standard salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

proxy.php

Fatty about ready to come off and time to wrap the ribs.

proxy.php

Ribs are done.

proxy.php

Fatty looks good...but that puppy is HOT! :mad5: I think I'll use the mild Italian sausage next time and add crushed red pepper to taste.

proxy.php

I have yet to try or make a fatty. It's on my list of things to do this year, especially after seeing those pics :drool:

just out of curiosity, what do you serve on the side with a fatty? rice, side salad, bacon?

Dang! That is one serious fatty. I just ground up a pork shoulder for sausage but didn't know what recipes I wanted or how I would cook it. Thanks for the inspiration! :thumbup:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
just out of curiosity, what do you serve on the side with a fatty? rice, side salad, bacon?

Ribs! :biggrin1:

Wife made some standard BBQ sides...baked beans and potato salad. That goes well with any Q.

I usually put a fatty on toast and have a breakfast sammy, but it's good any way you want it.

The heat of the fatty has seemed to have calmed down a bit after sitting overnight in the fridge, but it's still quite a bit warmer than Jimmy Dean hot variety. It's the Kroger store brand and I don't know if it's hotter than the Johnsonville brand or not. This is the first time I've used Italian sausage, but it is GOOD!

I've had pork belly curing in the refrigerator for the last seven days. Today I took it out, rinsed it off and smoked it for nearly eight hours. Once the internal temp hit 150 F, I took it off the smoker.

Of course we have already sliced and cooked a couple of test pieces.

proxy.php

A quick q...If I don't have packaged raw sausage for a fatty in stores nearby, what would be a good substitute? Any ground pork/beef? What do you recommend? Thanks!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A quick q...If I don't have packaged raw sausage for a fatty in stores nearby, what would be a good substitute? Any ground pork/beef? What do you recommend? Thanks!

You don't have any Jimmy Dean, Owens, etc. breakfast sausage in your area? Hmmmm....

Any ground meat should be fine...just make sure it has enough fat in it.

I used regular hamburger meat one time. We didn't like it as well as the Jimmy Dean sausage but it worked.

It could have been that the 80/20 hamburger didn't have the fat content that the sausage did; maybe it was a diet fatty? :biggrin1:

I spent a couple of hours giving my smoker a good clean out this morning, this thread's making me want to fire it up!

I did a tri-tip on the Weber this afternoon. Indirect with a little hickory up to 115, then seared it about 4 minutes per side. Yummy! That was the first outdoor cooking I did since I smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving.

I've had pork belly curing in the refrigerator for the last seven days. Today I took it out, rinsed it off and smoked it for nearly eight hours. Once the internal temp hit 150 F, I took it off the smoker.

Of course we have already sliced and cooked a couple of test pieces.

Well Shawn how was the test?
You can get regular sausage and just take it out of the casing. Don't let Jimmy Dean stop you!

Well Shawn how was the test?

You can get regular sausage and just take it out of the casing. Don't let Jimmy Dean stop you!

The test was good. The wife and kids loved it. Next time I'm going to add more brown sugar and a lot more black pepper, and some red pepper flakes.

The test was good. The wife and kids loved it. Next time I'm going to add more brown sugar and a lot more black pepper, and some red pepper flakes.
I have had good luck with dark Molasses, your bacon sure does look great.

Thanks Jim, I'll try dark molasses on the next batch.

I'm also thinking that I need to remove the skin prior to brining.

Top Bottom