What's new

Headphone Amps. Anyone using one?

I'm using the Objective 2 (O2) headphone amp and I love it.
It really cleans up the sound out of the old iPod.

Right now I've got them going into Sennheiser HD555 cans or Grado SR-80's.
Yes they are both fairly efficient headphones and the iPod can drive them, but this amp really does make a difference.
It delivers nice clean power.

I looked at others, but ultimately decided that the O2 would meet my needs. It sure does!

I ran my Dad's Grado RS-2 headphones through the amp the other day and they sounded amazing.

I think Steve (SiBurning) uses a headphone amp.

Really like the story behind the O2, and I've thought about picking one up, but I keep finding other things to spend money on first.

When I listen to my mp3 player (Cowon D2, yep it's old but still great - anythingbutipod!), I run it through Senny CX300 in-ears. They're not great, but they're comfy enough and don't sound too terribly awful.

When I want to really shut things down and listen large, I have a set of HD590s that I run through my home gear in my living room. Somehow it makes me appreciate it more when I treat listening like a zen ritual.

Cool. See I have a small, messy house with no place to put up a big system.
2 little kids mean that a good set of cans are very welcome at the end of the day.
So I went with what would work in my bedroom.

When the time comes, I do have access to some good older gear that my Dad will give me.
Until then, I love my amp.

Cool. See I have a small, messy house with no place to put up a big system.
2 little kids mean that a good set of cans are very welcome at the end of the day.
So I went with what would work in my bedroom.

When the time comes, I do have access to some good older gear that my Dad will give me.
Until then, I love my amp.

That would be my preference, too. We're in a similar situation. Small children, small house, and no room. My good cans are under lock and key to keep them safe from little hands, but ideally, I would listen in my bedroom and not the living room after everyone is in bed for the night. As it is, my good speakers are in storage, and I'm only running a CD player and amp to save space. Anyway, I wish I had an O2, but it seems there's always something more 'pressing' to spend the cash on.

Weren't there plans on the WWW somewhere to build your own for like $75? It WOULD be sweet to listen to the 590s while laying in bed sometime.

I've never used any headphone amps, but those look sweet. I'd love to boost up the sound from my iPod.

Assuming you have an okay set of headphones, nothing will do more to improve your listening experience. Not only do they make the music sound much better, they'll play it louder :). I don't go anywhere, except the gym, with out it.

I can't believe the difference in sound. Not that the HD555 needed pushing, they run at 50 ohms, but the smooth, clean power makes a huge difference.
Now I can hear the difference in source material. The CD's I encoded to MP3 sound like garbage.
This is becoming a slippery slope (like everything else around here).

I need new pads for the Grado cans. I can't wait to try them out.
I should get on that soon....

At Christmas I received a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 headphones, Fiio E17 + E09K bundle.
I am know digging through older music and finding stuff that I didn't hear on my Ipod.
Already planning my next purchase ..a new tube amp. Wow, talk about restraint.

At Christmas I received a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 headphones, Fiio E17 + E09K bundle.
I am know digging through older music and finding stuff that I didn't hear on my Ipod.
Already planning my next purchase ..a new tube amp. Wow, talk about restraint.

Nice setup. The HD650 are some excellent cans. I would love a pair for sure.
Consider picking up a 30-pin line out cable (Fiio makes them too) if you aren't able to use your E09K dock (maybe you're not at your desk?)
you don't want to use the headphone out with the amp.

Maxman, thanks for the advice. My wife had a co-worker download just over 2 TB worth of music on an external hard drive as part of my Christmas gift. I am sitting here with a glass of wine, looking at all the music. Just amazing.

Cheers Wilf

I've never used a headphone amp before. Anyone ever tried Fiio headphone amps? I currently have the Etymotic ER6i and Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10.

Last edited:
In the past I've used a Creek OBH 11 and a home made (not by me) tube hybrid, both improved the sound coming out of the Grado 325s I used to have. The only amp I still have is a Cmoy I keep around when I want a bit more punch than what the device I'm using can put out.

In the past I've used a Creek OBH 11 and a home made (not by me) tube hybrid, both improved the sound coming out of the Grado 325s I used to have. The only amp I still have is a Cmoy I keep around when I want a bit more punch than what the device I'm using can put out.

How do you like the 325's? I listen to all sorts of music but I really do like the SR-80's for Rock and live music a little more than the Sennheisers.
I still have a set of AKG 702's in my sights. Used they can be had for cheap nowadays.

I liked the 325s with rock the most out of all the cans I had tried. I still have a set of 60s with some iGrado and a set off Koss Portapros. Oh, almost forgot, I also have a set of Etymotic HF5's.

Headphones! A couple years ago I got some a pair of HD650's, and I drive them with a FiiO E7 and a Little Dot MK III. Also using a Double Helix Molecule cable. BEst sound I have ever heard so far.

Headphones! A couple years ago I got some a pair of HD650's, and I drive them with a FiiO E7 and a Little Dot MK III. Also using a Double Helix Molecule cable. BEst sound I have ever heard so far.

Nice set up. I've always wanted to try the little dot.

Top Bottom