What's new

Nivea Mild Shaving cream

I ordered a tube of this last time I needed some blades. I've just finished the last of my sample pots so the Nivea is next in line.

I've always used Nivea stuff in the past, although I've moved away from it a lot recently as I've found better products. Even if this only serves as a travel cream, I'll be happy. Looking forward to trying it.

As others have mentioned this is readily available in Canada. $3 or $4 per tube. I actually really like the scent and lathers pretty decent. Not in my top 3, but definitely a top 10 kinda cream at a great price

I have the Mild purchased in Germany a few month's ago and the Suave bought in Brasil last week. They seem to be the same stuff. Mild translates to Suave from German to Portuguese. Photo below.
$photo (20).JPG

Last edited:
I use the Canadian (German made) stuff as my reference cream. I like the fact that it is virtually unscented and the skin care is great (I face lather it). I have used a couple of Arko cremes, Florena, Proraso and Kapo and I can't say that any of them have really impressed over the Nivea. As a bonus, Nivea is great for superlathering when you have a soap that doesn't live up to expectation but you still like the scent.

On the other hand, I bought a bottle of the Nivea Sensitive ASB and it is doing nothing for me. The scent is very meh (like every other drugstore ASB I have tried) and I don't find it does anything special for my skin. I'll stick with the Clinique for now.

For the record, the Florena is available off and on here in Canada (haven't seen it in a little while) through a couple of chain drugstores (Shoppers Drugmart is where I saw it last). The stuff that was available here had a fairly strong Chamomile scent that I wasn't wild about personally but to each his own.

I do wish someone would start carrying the Proraso Red or White creams here in Calgary though. I am a fan of the white soft soap but I have turned off the Green cream scent.

Last edited:
I finally opened up my tube of Nivea today and was massively impressed.

I'd been concentrating on finishing off a tub of CF lavender for the last month or so. I was never a big fan of the CF. Initially, I thought it was particularly overrated as a cream. Eventually, I reached a satisfactory level with it - the cream and I agreed to disagree, and I managed no more than acceptable shaves with it.

Indeed, the last couple of shaves with the CF were pretty poor. I'd changed back to my slant (which has seen no use for some months), loaded it with an Asco orange, and then proceeded to give myself an autopsy. The 3rd shave on the Asco was my last with the CF before deep-sixing it, and I got a reasonable shave with it, although with some irritation.

I decided to persevere with the slant today, loaded it with a Bolzano (which I think are roughly similar to Merkur blades, but a little bit smoother), and had at it with the Nivea.

I wasn't expecting much at all. The Bolzanos are OK at best most of the time, and the slant as I said was tearing me up something fierce the last few days.

Well, I have to say the Nivea is absurdly brilliant. It completely prepped the stubble and it allowed a textbook 3-pass shave with no irritation. I have a very dark beard which remains visible even after 92 passes, but 3 passes on the Niv, and it looked like one of those rare flawless shaves. It was smooth, slick and very protective. You can't ask for more than that. Well you can, but you'd pay $30 extra for some fancy-shmancy packaging I expect.

Even now, some 10 hours later, the stubble is only just beginning to reappear.

I'm sold on the Niv. I'd rank it up there with I'Coloniali in terms of its protection and ability to actually make the hair shaveable.

If you're on the fence about it, just get it. It's very good value. And if it doesn't suit you, then you've not blown a king's ransom on it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm waiting for the tube to be on special at the pharmacy to pick one up. I tried the Indian variation so far and it was good. I'm expecting the German cream to be a notch superior.

I'm waiting for the tube to be on special at the pharmacy to pick one up. I tried the Indian variation so far and it was good. I'm expecting the German cream to be a notch superior.

On special? Sheesh, it's already cheap at full rack rate!

Oh, go on, just get the thing already. I do not think you will be disappointed!

All Nivea products are currently 20% off at London Drugs...

Last edited:
Gents I find the Nivea mild to be one of the best lathering creams I have tried! I just did not enjoy the fragrance. I replaced it with some Tabac cream. Very similar lather, much better scent.

I just recently discovered Nivea shaving cream "mild" when visiting Germany and I was quite surprised. If I remember correctly it was 1.48 Eur per tube in some pharmacy store. After trying it for 2 shaves, I got back to the store and bought 4 more tubes before leaving Germany. I use a small amount and smear it on the wet face, then a little more on the brush and face lather. Very good cushioning and a very clean shave after 2 passes and a little touch up with Voskhod in a Futur set at "1.5". Smooth gliding, no irritation at all. For that price, a hell of a bargain.

Right then, that is quite enough beating about the bush. Dear straight shaving mentor, check your mail!

It's a bit too mild for me -- not enough beard softening. Then again, if you have sensitive skin, that might be a boon.

I'm also not too fond of the "Nivea Men" brandmark scent.

It costs about 1.20€ at a local supermarket.

Last edited:
Top Bottom