What's new

Sewing = (Gentle)manly?

I sew. I have long arms, so finding a shirt that fits in sleeve length normally means it fits my torso like a parachute. So I get some binder clips, put the shirt on inside out and clip up the side to fit me properly, then just sew along the line the clips make.

I've also sewn stuff for my daughters, they love it. Never hemmed pants though.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Someone asked about knitting, I made a comment and received a new custom title. I will refrain.

A man can't be a real man unless he can live by himself for 5 years, which means doing his own laundry, sewing, cooking, cleaning and everything else that is "typical" womans work (no offense is meant here by any means). My wife and kids are impressed that I make dinner 2 to 3 nights per week and wash and iron my own clothes. I very rarely do any sewing but am confident I know how to do it.

A man can't be a real man unless he can live by himself for 5 years, which means doing his own laundry, sewing, cooking, cleaning and everything else that is "typical" womans work (no offense is meant here by any means). My wife and kids are impressed that I make dinner 2 to 3 nights per week and wash and iron my own clothes. I very rarely do any sewing but am confident I know how to do it.

Lot of truth in that statement. I know a few guys that moved from momma's house to their wife's house and never learned ( or cared ) to do any of these things.

My wife and I both carry the work load around the house and I think that's brought us much closer together over the years.

Lot of truth in that statement. I know a few guys that moved from momma's house to their wife's house and never learned ( or cared ) to do any of these things.

My wife and I both carry the work load around the house and I think that's brought us much closer together over the years.

That is the secret to a happy marriage. As long as it's equal. But she also loves the surprise when I make her eggs benedict in bed or wash her clothes on my day off when she is working.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Fair enough :)
Hell, I may as well share. Someone asked if knitting was unmanly. I said no, as long as you aren't knitting pink miniskirts to flit around in while singing "I feel pretty". The mods are ruthless :biggrin: But no, I don't think there is anything unmanly about sewing.

I learned to sew from my grandmother, so I repair my own clothes. I also use the sewing machine to make cloth sleeves for storing multi-piece fishing rods when taken apart.

Once, about 15 or so years ago, I was on a business trip with two female colleagues in NYC. We were on our way to a meeting, and my pant cuff got caught and ripped out on the way into a cab. One of the ladies produced a sewing kit but said she wouldn't sew my hem (I think she was trying to see if I knew how). My response? I took off my trousers and sewed my hem while in traffic. The cabbie didn't bat an eye. My two colleagues got all embarrassed and covered their eyes. Even undignified, I gained some respect that day...

I think that many of us that know how to take a needle and thread to fabric did so out of necessity. There was no way that I was going to pay the navy exchange quite a bit of money to sew those silly patches on my uniforms :). This is how I learned. I've limited my skills to what I've needed which includes hemming pants to save $. I consider it more of a MacGyver skill and glad I can do it. I mean after all, doesn't stitching up a patient in the ER have something to do with knowing how to sew? :rolleyes:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
A man can't be a real man unless he can live by himself...which means doing his own laundry, (ironing), sewing, cooking, cleaning and everything else (that may need to be done).
Art:
proxy.php
...I couldn't agree with more...100%. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"A real man [ and a Gentleman] will take care of home first". Author Unknown

A man can't be a real man unless he can live by himself for 5 years, which means doing his own laundry, sewing, cooking, cleaning and everything else...

Well, all I'm lacking is sewing. I guess I'm doing pretty good!

I can sew and knit. I limit my knitting to working in black though. My kids had a black baby blanket when they were small with the Merciful release logo on it (see my avatar). Always got a few funny looks.....

doing it for yourself is hardly unmanly. unless you're sewing doilies. this is somewhat unmanly, but only somewhat.

Ha, nice. I do think that it would be fun to try and make a tie, it seems pretty straight forward. My sister has made a dress shirt or two for her husband and son, I thought one day when I have time I'll buy a pattern and make a bad shirt. SWMBO has a decent sewing machine but hasn't sewn in a long time, she still has a half made dress from like 8 years ago in the closet.

Ha, nice. I do think that it would be fun to try and make a tie, it seems pretty straight forward. My sister has made a dress shirt or two for her husband and son, I thought one day when I have time I'll buy a pattern and make a bad shirt. SWMBO has a decent sewing machine but hasn't sewn in a long time, she still has a half made dress from like 8 years ago in the closet.

i think you should! that's how the Vineyard Vines guys got their start, and well...look at them now!

i always thought it would be neat to design vintage-inspired men's athletic apparel, based on designs dating back to the turn-of-the-century. maybe you've inspire me!

I can do small mending jobs, but I can't use a sewing machine. My wife is very good at it. She'd teach me, I'm sure, but that is not the sort of task we work well on together. Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

Sewed many a patch by hand on fatigues and BDUs, then I bought a 1956 Singer sewing machine.
($40 from the paper * $90 revamp) The revamp guy offered me $200 anything I wish to get rid of it

As you age, your eyes may not work as good close up. a sewing machine is like a hand grenade, you only have to get close

I believe in doing for yourself when you can and it makes sense, and believe me there are times when it does not. I learned to sew as a kid, and to crochet. I sewed patches on in college for ROTC, fixed small repairs on clothes after that and today I sew my daughters halloween costumes and my own Hawaiian shirts. I iron my work shirts as well, and wooed my wife in part by being able to cook. I say have at it. Singer makes decent entry level machines for around $100 - not a bad way to get into machine sewing.

Top Bottom