What's new

Got my first camp knife. Now what?

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Mora Companion (carbon) just arrived. Love the look and feel. I know I want to force a patina and like the look of the darker patina. Thinking vinegar for 24 hours should do it but I've never done it before. Thoughts on this?

I also want to be able to use the spine on a firesteel. I understand that I should probably square the spine, but how? Keep in mind I live in the downtown core of a major city and don't own a grinding wheel.

What else should I do to it?

Legion

Staff member
It wont take 24 hours to force a patina. Dilute the vinegar about 50% and put it in for half an hour, then keep checking it. The patina does not need to be very dark to do its job.

Plenty of cool ways to force a patina. I like to just use my knife to cut up apples, but have coated a carbon blade in mustard before, as well as daubing one with hot vinegar multiple times until the surface turned black.

I'd say the next step would be to pick up a Ka-Bar Becker BK-2 for the opposite end of the camp knife spectrum and get out and enjoy using the hell out your new blades.

To square the spine get a cheap drill press vise, two c clamps and some felt to attach to a table or desk. Clamp the blade between two blocks of wood and square the spine with a mill file. If you really want to throw some sparks use a large round shank screwdriver or burnishing tool to roll a burr on the edge the same as sharpening a card scraper.

Top Bottom