What's new

Has Anyone Finished a Soap Before?

I was fortunate enough (or enough of a noob) to start buying random soaps off the BST. I got hold of mama bears hinoki wood, a brand new puck in a wooden bowl, and I loved it more than the famed, lauded, and expensive triple milled European soaps many people seem to prefer. I used it up, or 95% of it, and I'm waiting for a puck to replace it.

Only one so far at that was Cilantro Lime Iced and liked it so much ordered two more but I now have over 20 soaps in my rotation.

I have finished multiple AOS lavender pucks. Usually takes about a year or so. Now that I have started to play around with new creams and soaps, haven't finished anything in awhile!

2 pucks of Williams got me through 4 years of college. Use them both up. Used the money I saved to buy beer.

Larry

Finished off a few tubes of Proraso, cakes of Tabac and Mitchells Wool Fat, and Straight Razor Designs and Col Conk, Petal Pushers Fancies. If I had to pick a favorite, it's a tie between Tabac and MWF.

I used to go through a puck of Williams every 6 months or so. Now that I've taken on a healthy soap addiction, that will likely not happen again anytime soon?

Ive finished plenty but Im 43 and have been using soaps from the time I started shaving. I will admit quite often when they get super small and start to break into pieces i either add cream to lather along with the soap or I just chuck them.

Stick the old sliver/bits to the new puck, save the bits and stick them to each other, or grate them and make a new puck.

Ive finished plenty but Im 43 and have been using soaps from the time I started shaving. I will admit quite often when they get super small and start to break into pieces i either add cream to lather along with the soap or I just chuck them.

Same here.
Used to use the bath soap until it was two wafer-thin pieces (Irish Spring has an arch so it always breaks in the middle), then stick them together to get a couple more showers out of it.
Actually made couplers out of two shampoo bottle caps to drain the remaining goo from the old bottle into the new bottle.

Finally woke up and realized that I was spending way too much time and effort attempting to save literally fractions of a penny worth of product.

Now the bath soap gets pitched when it looks like it may only have one or two more showers on it before it breaks.

Same here.
Used to use the bath soap until it was two wafer-thin pieces (Irish Spring has an arch so it always breaks in the middle), then stick them together to get a couple more showers out of it.
Actually made couplers out of two shampoo bottle caps to drain the remaining goo from the old bottle into the new bottle.

Finally woke up and realized that I was spending way too much time and effort attempting to save literally fractions of a penny worth of product.

Now the bath soap gets pitched when it looks like it may only have one or two more showers on it before it breaks.

That does sound time-consuming. Sticking the slivers to the new bar takes only a moment and avoids throwing it away.

For shampoo bottles, instead of building a rig and waiting days, just add a little water, shake, and squeeze out one more lather.

I have a frankensample of MdC fougere, DR Harris Windsor and Arlington, C&S O&C, Knize Ten, and QCS coconut. Serious lather ensues.

I finish all my pucks down to the nubs, they they join the frankensample.

Same here.
Used to use the bath soap until it was two wafer-thin pieces (Irish Spring has an arch so it always breaks in the middle)...
...Now the bath soap gets pitched when it looks like it may only have one or two more showers on it before it breaks.

Why not just stick it on a new bar when the old one gets too thin?? That's what I've always done; the arches match (obviously) and soap gets soft when it's wet (obviously), so just mash 'em together. No waste and no bother either. Easy-peasy. :lol:

Back on topic, I don't remember ever throwing away any shaving soap before it was all used; which is to say yes, I've finished a soap before. Every one I've ever used, in fact. :001_rolle

Williams and that is because it ended up in the shower (this was before I got good at making lather). Makes for nice shampoo bar.

What is 3017?

3017ing is using one soap nearly exclusively until it is gone. Often done aggressively. There is an epic thread here, usually on the first or second page, called " My Guess 3017" It is actually a good read. You will get a much better review of soaps there than any other soap reviews IMO.

I used a tube of Bigelow exclusively till it was gone last summer, but since then the most commitment I can manage is rotating 2 or 3 products.

3017ing is using one soap nearly exclusively until it is gone. Often done aggressively. There is an epic thread here, usually on the first or second page, called " My Guess 3017" It is actually a good read. You will get a much better review of soaps there than any other soap reviews IMO.

Epic is a accurate word for the description of that thread. As of this morning there are 6061 posts.

Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom