What's new

Has Anyone Finished a Soap Before?

I used Burt's Bees Bay Rum soap for about 10 years before it was discontinued. One puck lasted about two years - probably why it was discontinued. Then, I ran into B&B... now I have a closet full of soap!

Sure have. I have gone through more than one tube of Proraso, a number of AOS soaps, some TOBS, Ingram and Godrej creams, among some.

Is there no way to purchase smaller portions ?

I would love to buy 10 different soaps but in small formats so that it's not 4000 years worth of shaving soap

Depends on which Surrey it was. There are two different Surrey's that I am aware of: a puck that looks identical to VDH Deluxe, and very likely is the exact same thing (Surrey became VDH), and a puck which is tallow based, which is a hard soap much like Vintage Williams.

I believe HoosierTrooper has both varieties in his arsenal.

I do. the one I finished was sealed in a cellophane wrapper with the word SURREY imprinted in it. I compared it to VDH deluxe and it had a different feel and scent to it, and I believe it was tallow based but really don't have any way to know for sure. The one I'm using now is older and had Surrey Inc Shave Soap imprinted on it, and it has a different texture than the first. Both are very, very good soaps.

I tend to stick to a small rotation of soaps and creams (one or two each) so I can use them up then move on to the next ones.

After buying some proraso, cella, and tabac, I was finished with the puck of vdh I had.

$balepsycho.gif

I've been shaving this way for about two years. When all I knew about were the VDH and Williams pucks available locally I would go through one every month and a half or so. I never had more than one open at a time.

After I came here and learned about buying soaps online I suddenly had a bunch of soaps open at once, none of which seemed to be wearing down. I gave away some of them and shelved others until I was using one soap at home and one at my weekend place. No rotation of soaps. At home it took me most of the year to use a Mama Bear 5 ounce puck! In the same time using VDH at the farm most weekends I barely put a dent in the puck.

Since then I have gone to a rotation of three small soaps at home and two small ones at the farm. That should be enough soap to last me until late summer or early fall of 2013.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am getting close with my Speick stick. Only about 1 inch left. Hell, that is probably 20 more shaves at least, but I am getting itchy. I need to order a couple more and try out Windsor.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm philosophically aligned with sticking with a puck until finished before moving on to another. The conflict arises when I visit this forum and read about all the other miracle products I hadn't previously known about. Too many times, I log off B and B with the the thought, "That sound cool," then visiting my favorite vendors.

I have been corrupted by peer pressure and my own susceptibility to said pressure.
i am a swinger- soap monogamy is boring.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I finished 3 VDH pucks one stick of arko and one tub of omega. averaging 1 soap a month. I am trying to cut down and be less wasteful, it is working, time will tell how long I can stretch out a soap.
Moved to triple milled soaps. You will not go through a puck of Harris in three monts, regardless of how wasteful you are.

I'm really just getting started with wet shaving in general. I went overboard with initial purchases, and I have quite a variety to choose from right now. I have a couple months here before I move, and that time period will give me enough time to try a fair amount of different soaps as I rotate through. Once the move comes up, I'll likely PIF some of the soaps I'm not using very regularly to some other newb and really narrow down my main rotation. Pretty sure Proraso and MWF have solid places in that rotation - and I'm not really expecting them to lose their place.

Top Bottom