What's new

Has Anyone Finished a Soap Before?

In two years I've finished a puck of MWF and wore a bowl of Mike's Natural down to the point where I had to add more soap to it. I've finished one or two tubes of cream, too. Rare occurrences, for sure.

I finished a puck of VDH, my first soap, before I started hoarding shave gear. Now, with 15ish soaps in my rotation, I don't see myself hitting the bottom of any particular soap any time soon. Tabac, however, will likely be the first of my current line up to get used up (and replaced).

I've almost used up my first puck of VDH. I had a puck of Sandalwood I was looking forward to using but when I tried it out I didn't like it so...back to VDH. I have a 12pk of VDH I haven't started in on yet so I'm be with VDH for quite a while!

The one puck is going to last almost 2 months it looks like.

So funny, I was curious about this too because I'm still on my tub of Castle Forbes lime and it doesn't seem to be depleting at all!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Finished:

2 VDH
1 Col. Conk Almond
1 Col. Conk Bay Rum
1 Col. Conk Lime
1 C.O. Bigelow
2 Modern Williams
1 Vintage Old Spice
1 LaToja Stick

When I was learning about, and trying out, soaps and creams I didn't finish anything. After a year or so, a few products stood out consistently from the rest. So I use them, and use them up. I'm not itchy to try a soap or cream other than the one or two soaps, or the one cream, I like using at a time.

I have two mugs ready for use and at the moment am using the second mug, with a Trumper's Limes soap within, to break in a Semogue 620. I cover both mugs, so the soaps don't dry excessively. I use one cream, usually, at a time, again so that the cream doesn't dry out excessively. Others, of course, happily juggle multiple soaps and creams.

Breaking in a boar brush, I am learning by the way, is another approach to finishing a soap.

A few pucks of Mitchell's Woolfat.
A few Speick sticks.

Haven't finished any other shaving soap.

Check out the 3017 (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/128392-My-Guess-3017) thread to read about the trials and tribulations of the one known as johnniegold and his compadres!

+1. The 3017 thread got me to stick with and finish a bunch of soaps. IMHO it also has made me a much better shaver.

I've finished a few sticks, a few glycerins and a few handmades. A milled puck though? Not yet. That's a LOT of soap to go through if you've got more than one soap in use at a time. I've got a puck of tabac with a hundred or more uses that's barely dented, and several others with a bit of wear on them.

To be fair I've finished Williams, but as a hand soap... it's also probably the smallest non-sample puck out there.

In the last 10 years (only been here 2 1/2 yrs)...
Surrey (couple pucks)
VDH (few pucks)
GFT Coconut Oil (two pucks) Found B&B here.
MWF
Vintage Old Spice (twas just a sliver)
Vintage Williams
Williams (couple pucks)
Vermont Country Store Lime Musk (I think)
Classic Shaving Tannenbaum Pine
Cade
DR Harris Arlington

Think that's it. I have a puck of Tabac that should disappear by the end of January.

Last edited:
Long ago, I finished a couple of TOBS creams, but never a soap. One day I'll get to the end of the MWF unless it decides to completely crumble on me first.

I have finished a tub of 'Taylor of Old Bond St.' Right now I'm working on a Col Conk lime, Col. Conk Bay Rum, a VDH, an old puck of Old Spice, and MWF. I think I will stay with the MWF because I'm afraid it may dry out if I don't use it up fairly soon. I think they are all great soaps. Other than the MWF being a little better, they are all about the same to me as far as performance.

I'm philosophically aligned with sticking with a puck until finished before moving on to another. The conflict arises when I visit this forum and read about all the other miracle products I hadn't previously known about. Too many times, I log off B and B with the the thought, "That sound cool," then visiting my favorite vendors.

I have been corrupted by peer pressure and my own susceptibility to said pressure.

I finished 3 VDH pucks one stick of arko and one tub of omega. averaging 1 soap a month. I am trying to cut down and be less wasteful, it is working, time will tell how long I can stretch out a soap.

Top Bottom