What's new

Theirs-Issard are supposed to come shave ready no?

Looking for someone with experience on this; My wonderful girlfriend bought me a Thiers issard carbon steel with stainless steel scales. the thing is mint! but its nowhere near shave ready! it says in the paperwork it should be shave ready. It doesn't even cut armhair. I had called AOS where she had gotten it, and they said they all should be shave ready and to return it(40 miles away) when I had called another they had stated all their razors need to be honed and sharpened. Two conflicting stories and no resolution. I even tried contacting their customer support...no luck. Has anyone have any experience with TI's and their sharpness out of the box? is it worth heading out and getting a new one from the shop? I have no honemeisters close because I would've loved to get this sharpened up so I can use it asap!(I was saving up to get a TI, she nailed Xmas on the head!) Also, with your responses shall come pictures of the wonderful TI, and the Stogies she had given me for xmas! and im telling ya, idk how she knew my taste this well. lol

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well she's a woman, obviously loves you, and she's a genius! That's how she knows you, while you probably bought her a toaster or something practical ;-).

I don't have a TI, but have read that their edges should shave at least "OK" from the factory. HOWEVER. If you are a veteran shaver it likely will not pass muster for you.

TIs that I have purchased from the web and from AOS all needed honing - the instructions say they don't but the instructions lie. They might be good for a newbie who needs to practice the movements but they won't cut facial hair. My wife bought me one last year and the salesperson told her I wouldn't need to hone it for a year - and I shouldn't strop it until after the first shave. What a crock. However, I was in the AOS in Las Vegas last year and there was a lady barber in there who knew the score. She was well aware that the TIs needed honing. It was kinda nice to talk to someone who knew what was going on. At another AOS, the manager (another female) was also up to speed - said she shaved her legs with a TI but had her boyfriend hone it first.

Probably needs to be honed, IME few things are truly shave ready out of the box-Of course I am an edge snob (and proud of it)

Thanks guys for the input. I was really looking for someone to hone my TI quickly because of her wanting to see how its done, and to start learning how to do her legs and what not. I guess this will all have to be put on hold sadly! welp. on to take some pics! lol

I've never seen a straight come from a factory shave ready. Both TI's and Dovo's are quite sharp and sometimes you can actually shave with them but unless the razor has been honed by someone that knows what they are doing between the razor leaving the factory and you getting it, it will not be shave ready. Unfortunately too many sellers of straight razors don't understand the product they are selling. I'd hate to think how many people have given up straight shaving because they bought a razor that they thought was shave ready and couldn't ever get a decent shave from it.
By the way, your girlfriend is a keeper if she is good enough to have bought you a TI and cigars.

I scoffed at the whole not shave ready stuff that people were posting on here, and then I got a whipped dog, and I haven't picked my other razor up since.

I will hone it for you if you want.
Thanks Rac, I called AOS, and they promised me a free hone and sharpening, so im sending it to them so they can sharpen it for me. that way if something happens, I can be on them for it!

+1 What a great gift and an outstanding gift giver!. A quick honing and that'll be an excellent shaver.
lol I CANT WAIT, you have no idea. its urking me that I cant use it!

I will echo what others have said- you have a keeper.
Thanks, I actually think so too.

I've never seen a straight come from a factory shave ready. Both TI's and Dovo's are quite sharp and sometimes you can actually shave with them but unless the razor has been honed by someone that knows what they are doing between the razor leaving the factory and you getting it, it will not be shave ready. Unfortunately too many sellers of straight razors don't understand the product they are selling. I'd hate to think how many people have given up straight shaving because they bought a razor that they thought was shave ready and couldn't ever get a decent shave from it.
By the way, your girlfriend is a keeper if she is good enough to have bought you a TI and cigars.
that's what im sayin man! lol.

Have the razor honed and propose to that woman, she's a keeper!
I think I might have to, just out of graciousness! lol......................... and heres the gifts! rocky patels vintage 92's and rocky patel world reserves. she knew the only times I smoke a cigar its a RP 90 or 92. shes the best. $STA_2580.jpg

That's a nice razor. If for some reason TI can't get the razor sharp enough, I can still hone it for you, but I'm hoping they will do a good job at it.

Top Bottom