What's new

"Simpson" or "Simpsons"

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
You have to keep in mind, they are in the UK after-all. They never really quite mastered the English language there. I can never watch any British television or movies without the sub-titles. Even the closed captioning program can't keep up and frequently says something like "unintelligible audio," so I guess that settles it then, English is just foreign to them.

You might enjoy Menchen's work.

There was this guy Simpson :euro:, who made fine brushes. For obvious reasons, he named his company Simpson:dots:. With the time, more Simpson's family members got involved in the family business. :a29:At one point in time, the curent Simpson talked to the rest of the Simpsons' family :a21: who decided to sell Simpson's company to somebody else:a39:who was not a Simpson and was not a part of (the) Simpsons. That guy continued Simpsons' traditions in brush making started by Simpson. He proudly called them (the) Simpsons after (all) Simpsons' family members contributed to the business. It's apparent to me that (those) Simpsons were (the) Manufacturers of the Finest Shaving Brushes, which is acknowledged on every Simpsons' brush box. Once found by Simpson who started making (his) Simpson's brushes, nowadays Simpson company continues Simpson's traditions in making Simpsons brushes started by their founder Simpson.

Is it clear now? :smartass:
And don't be rough with me :a6:, because English is not my first language! :letterk1:

:boat:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
There was this guy Simpson :euro:, who made fine brushes. For obvious reasons, he named his company Simpson:dots:. With the time, more Simpson's family members got involved in the family business. :a29:At one point in time, the curent Simpson talked to the rest of the Simpsons' family :a21: who decided to sell Simpson's company to somebody else:a39:who was not a Simpson and was not a part of (the) Simpsons. That guy continued Simpsons' traditions in brush making started by Simpson. He proudly called them (the) Simpsons after (all) Simpsons' family members contributed to the business. It's apparent to me that (those) Simpsons were (the) Manufacturers of the Finest Shaving Brushes, which is acknowledged on every Simpsons' brush box. Once found by Simpson who started making (his) Simpson's brushes, nowadays Simpson company continues Simpson's traditions in making Simpsons brushes started by their founder Simpson.

Is it clear now? :smartass:
And don't be rough with me :a6:, because English is not my first language! :letterk1:

:boat:

Perfectly!

not to make it even more confusing, or spark another debate, but has anyone noticed the GFT naming?

Geo F Trumper on line 1, then Geo F Trumper's on line 2 :blink:

$_MG_9796__98266.1330353739.1280.1280.jpg

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
not to make it even more confusing, or spark another debate, but has anyone noticed the GFT naming?

View attachment 295187

At least it's not inconsistent, and, perhaps more important, doesn't commit apostrophe abuse.

The shaving cream is a product of Geo. F. Trumper, perfumer. And this particular product is Geo. F. Trumper's Limes Shaving Cream.

What Simpson did was jettison the apostrophe.

I do note that Geo. F. Trumper appears to follow the NYT MoS&U in adding an apostrophe followed by "s" in "St. James's." But what the hell would a perfumer know about proper punctuation?

Last edited:
I do note that Geo. F. Trumper appears to follow the NYT MoS&U in adding an apostrophe followed by "s" in "St. James's." But what the hell would a perfumer know about proper punctuation?

I think the NYT just follows Strunk & White on the possessive of nouns ending in S. Or maybe Fowler; my Fowlers are at the office, so I can't check.

And, by the way, Merry Christmases to all of youse, and to all a ... fuhgeddaboudit!

(My first language is Brooklynese. :biggrin1:)

Most excellent!

But what the heck is GFT possessing in the possessive "St. James's," anyway? Is this what that street/area are officially called? As in St. James's Palace?

"I do note that Geo. F. Trumper appears to follow the NYT MoS&U in adding an apostrophe followed by "s" in "St. James's." But what the hell would a perfumer know about proper punctuation?" Ah, about as much as a brush maker?

Just a kid from NJ trying to understand what strange things these Brits have wrought.

I think the NYT just follows Strunk & White on the possessive of nouns ending in S. Or maybe Fowler; my Fowlers are at the office, so I can't check.

And, by the way, Merry Christmases to all of youse, and to all a ... fuhgeddaboudit!

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment

What? You mean there's an E at the end of youse? Here all these years I've been spelling it wrong.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
But what the heck is GFT possessing in the possessive "St. James's," anyway? Is this what that street/area are officially called? As in St. James's Palace?

It appears (from Fowler's) that it's St. James's Street.

From the entry on "possessive puzzles":

"It was formerly customary, when a word ended in -s, to write its possessive with an apostrophe but no additional s, e.g., Mars' hill, Venus' Bath, Achilles' thews. In verse, and in poetic or reverential contexts, this custom is retained, and the number of syllables is the same as in the subjective case, e.g., Achilles,has three, not four, syllables, Jesus' two, not three. But elsewhere we now usually add the s and one syllable -- always when the word is monosyllabic, and preferably when it is longer, Charles's Wain, St. James's Street, Jones's children, the Rev. Septimus's surplice, Pythagoras's doctrines. Plurals of proper names ending s form their possessives in the same way as ordinary plurals (the Joneses' home, the Rogerges' party)."

I took my Simpson Polo 12 brush out its Simpsons box and had a wonderful shave with it today

Merry Christmas

proxy.php

That is because the use of the name in line 2 is a possessive use of the word.

Trumper makes the cream so it is Trumper's cream

Just like your post would be referenced as Brucered's post

Top Bottom