Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Simpson" or "Simpsons"

Images

Default "Simpson" or "Simpsons"

I think the company name is "Simpson", but I'm not sure.

Is my T3 a Simpson brush (per the label) or a Simpsons brush per most references on the website. If it's the former, and "Simpsons" is intended as a reference to multiple styles and/or brushes, then what's with the banner "Simpsons - Manufacturers of the Finest Shaving Brushes." I usually trip over this in possessive usage: is it more proper to say "Simpson's Manchurian brushes" or "Simpsons' Manchurian brushes"?

Images

All of my brush boxes say Simpsons (no apostrophe before the last s)

Now Trumper's on the other hand does have the apostrophe in the name
    SSB - LEMS - BOTOC - AOM - KOVT - VSOP - RSVP - BYOB - HTH - ARKO & VEG CHOSEN - YMMV

Mick - Shaving Soap Forum Steward

If you enjoy the time you spend on B&B - become a contributor and support B&B

I have wondered as well. The boxes say:

Simpsons
    Manufacturers of the Finest Shaving Brushes

They don't say:

Simpson
    Manufacturer (singular) of the Finest Shaving Brushes

There could be an implied "The" at the beginning which would make more sense:

(The) Simpsons
    Manufacturers of the Finest Shaving Brushes

So it could be a reference to the family of people named Simpson who make shaving brushes. If that were the case, then it would be correct to refer to the items they sell as Simpsons's brushes.
    I love BIG brushes!

Images

Whatever it is, I suspect I've spent more time thinking about it than Simpson/Simpsons have.

I'm pretty sure "Simpson" is the family name. If you first have one "Simpson" brush and then buy another one, you have a couple of "Simpsons," both of which bear Simpson's (i.e., the company's) trademark "Simpson". But I think usage on the site is inconsistent and to some extent conflicting. And Simpson's management doesn't really care. In fact, Simpson's management may also not know the answer -- assuming the question has occurred -- and decided that if i they roughly split usage, they'll at least get it right half the time.

None of this has any bearing on my appreciation of Simspon brushes (aka "Simpsons"). But I'd still prefer to know proper usage.

BTW, this isn't subjective. It's grammar.
    Last edited by ChiefBroom; 12-22-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Images

I love a good pendant!
    "I love the smell of rhodium in the morning" - Shavepocalypse Now (with apologies to Francis Ford Coppola)
    For all things OZ: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Category:Australia

Images

Looking at the label on one of the brushes it says Simpson (no s) and the box it came out of says Simpsons (with an s)

SO....

I guess the brush by itself is Simpson and when you put it in a box both of them then become Simpsons

BUT

When you take the brush out of the box does it go back to Simpson even though the box is on the shelf?

Oh my..... Wet shaving is so confusing
    SSB - LEMS - BOTOC - AOM - KOVT - VSOP - RSVP - BYOB - HTH - ARKO & VEG CHOSEN - YMMV

Mick - Shaving Soap Forum Steward

If you enjoy the time you spend on B&B - become a contributor and support B&B

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefBroom View Post
    Whatever it is, I suspect I've spent more time thinking about it than Simpson/Simpsons have.

I'm pretty sure "Simpson" is the family name. If you first have one "Simpson" brush and then buy another one, you have a couple of "Simpsons," both of which bear Simpson's (i.e., the company's) trademark "Simpson". But I think usage on the site is inconsistent and to some extent conflicting. And Simpson's management doesn't really care. In fact, Simpson's management may also not know the answer -- assuming the question has occurred -- and decided that if i they roughly split usage, they'd at least get it right half the time.

None of this has any bearing on my appreciation of Simspon brushes (aka "Simpsons"). But I'd still prefer to know proper usage.

BTW, this isn't subjective. It's grammar.
    Well, their management on their Terms and Conditions section of their website (contractual section) uses both, "Simpson Shaving Brushes" and "Simpsons."

http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/terms.html

Maybe this is one of those circular arguments that never ends. Maybe we use Simpsons to describe the brushes and Simpson Shaving Brushes to define the company owned by Progress Vulfix.

I have thought about this in the past and it just gives me tired head, so I tried to ignore the confusion and just call them Simpsons.
    The goal is for each person to find what serves them best in the art of shaving.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GDCarrington View Post
    Maybe this is one of those circular arguments that never ends. Maybe we use Simpsons to describe the brushes and Simpson Shaving Brushes to define the company owned by Progress Vulfix.

I have thought about this in the past and it just gives me tired head, so I tried to ignore the confusion and just call them Simpsons.
    Pretty much where I come out, except I was bored.

Images

When referring to a brush or their cream, it's Simpson...like in their tweets: "Some 'very' special Simpson Limited Edition brushes in work atm" and " and the first three Simpson fragranced luxury shaving creams"

the overall company as a whole entitiy, is referred to as Simpsons, like on their main page logo and their twitter name

All evidence has been buried.
    All tapes have been erased.

Knight of the Veg Table (VEGemite with Bar) - LOBOS - BOSS-apprentice

I have been wondering about this, too. I think they just got sloppy and dropped the apostrophe from the possessive form of their name, "Simpson."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brucered View Post
    When referring to a brush or their cream, it's Simpson...like in their tweets: "Some 'very' special Simpson Limited Edition brushes in work atm" and " and the first three Simpson fragranced luxury shaving creams"

the overall company as a whole entitiy, is referred to as Simpsons, like on their main page logo and their twitter name
    That's about as close as I've come to making sense of it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffOlson View Post
    I think they just got sloppy and dropped the apostrophe from the possessive form of their name, "Simpson."
    Me too

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    When you take the brush out of the box does it go back to Simpson even though the box is on the shelf?
    No, because the box is on the shelf next to 7 or 8 other boxes
    - Rich
    Proud Member: Knights of the Veg Table
    Proud Member: Cult of Arko
    Participant 2012 and 2013 Brown Leaf Mark Tinskey LE Pipe
    Participant 2012 Rudy Vey Shavemac D01 Keyhole

Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Looking at the label on one of the brushes it says Simpson (no s) and the box it came out of says Simpsons (with an s)

SO....

I guess the brush by itself is Simpson and when you put it in a box both of them then become Simpsons

BUT

This is profound! Brush discussion that seeks to penetrate the fundamental nature of reality.

I don't believe this kind of insight is likely to be found on other shaving sites.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
    I love a good pendant!
    It's a thankless job, but someone has to hold the line against split infinitives.

Images

Oh my god, this has been bugging me for months! Haha, such a silly thing too!
    Tyler, "Just buy something that smells nice and shave with it until you figure it out."

Count Dracula...
    My wiki My Straight Shaver Interview

Simpsons is good. Simpson are good. Among other things.
    My first straight scarred me forever. But a random SuperSpeed kicked my butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
    I love a good pendant!
    I prefer chokers myself.
    Viseguy -- Homo sapiens vegetalis
    "Keep up this good work and very soon I will see to it that you become a Bigelow man."

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefBroom View Post
    It's a thankless job, but someone has to hold the line against split infinitives.
    Well, to be really pedantic about it...if the name IS "Simpsons," then the correct possessive is "Simpsons's." That's not just my (Chris's) opinion. Check out the NYT guide on usage.

BTW, the rule against split infinitives was a late (18th c.) pedantic effort to impose Latin grammar on to English. The infinitive in Latin is one word (like in modern Spanish or Portuguese, for example), so it can't be split by definition. Split infinitives never troubled Chaucer or Shakespeare.
    Tondeo ergo sum. -BOBN-

Images

The name is "Simpson". That is what the sticker on my brushes says and that is how they name them-self:
    Simpson Shaving Brushes
    I think the " ' " was left off on the boxes just to make the appearance of the name on the box look evenly....Maybe some 30 years ago someone decided to drop the ' because this looks better on the box...
    Last edited by Rudy Vey; 12-23-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    Rudy, Central New Jersey
    'If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.'
    www.ultimatependesigns.com