What's new

Looking for an entry level watch

Hello, my name is Brandon. After reading up some on Orient watches on this forum, it has sparked my interest. I am looking at some entry level watches and would like any input or help. I currently do not wear any time pieces. I am looking for something that could be a little casual but also could go with a suit. I have found two Orient watches that I do like, but I have no experience with watches and to be honest, I have no idea what makes a decent watch. Here are the two Orient http://orientwatchusa.com/ev0s005w http://orientwatchusa.com/ffd0f003w I have also found locally a Raymond Weil that I thought looked nice....but again, I have no idea if it is any good. http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/nav...leps_sponsor&gclid=CIaJ7aulrLQCFetDMgodckgAUQ Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am looking for a birthday present for myself and I would like my first time piece. Thanks in advance.

Those are all great watches.....You will be happy with any of those I think....
I'm going to check a spot and will get back to you with a private message.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
$paper_sundial.jpg

I would look into Seiko too. They my excellent, extremely durable and quite sylish. Otherwise http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php a great forum that has a lot of "boutique brands" that make small batches of nice automatic watches that would probably fit your budget. Not sure what you are looking to spend, but there is always something to fit any budget.

Thanks so much for all the input guys....now I have even more choices...this is going to be hard.

I have had a Raymond Weil Parsifal for about a decade. Really nice watch. If you pick one up use on ebay, you can find some amazing deals.

In any event, for the money - Raymond Weil watches are very nice. It really depends on the look you're going for and what interests you about a fine watch. If it's primarily the look or cache, then get the Raymond Weil. It's quartz (battery) movement, so it'll be more accurate than the mechanical watches (Orient, etc). It will also be more reliable, and will basically never need servicing. With a mechanical watch, even a reasonably priced Orient, etc - you'll need to have it serviced every 5 years or so, and that can be surprisingly expensive. A $250 orient could easily run $100+ to get serviced. A quartz watch on the other hand will run you about $10-20 to have an authorized dealer change out the battery every 10 years or so.

If you're drawn to the engineering novelty of having a man made mechanical marvel sap energy from the movement of your arm, pulse a mainspring, run a volley of gears, etc to deliver time (counting tens of thousands of beats per hour) to within 10 or so seconds of accuracy a day, then the automatic watches are for you. Just know, they require more TLC, expense and dedication. They also tend to be larger and heavier.

My .02 - get the Raymond Weil. If you love it and want an automatic, then pick up an automatic watch in the future. Worst case scenario, you have the joy of wearing two watches and you'll have a watch to wear while your automatic is being serviced. You may however find that you're more than happy with the quartz RW, in which case you'll have a more practical watch.

Hope this helps,

Legion

Staff member
This will probably have a lot of watch guys rolling their eyes, but I recently bought a cheap Chinese self winder on a whim. I honestly wasn't expecting too much, it was under $100 posted, but I couldn't be happier with it, for the price. It keeps great time, looks nice, fit and finish good. Even the leather band high quality. The brand is Parnis, although the one I got has a sterile dial. Might be a good way to see if you like the care and feeding of a mechanical watch without too much expense.

The watches you are looking at mostly have leather bands - consider if that is the way to go for you. I had a leather one but working outside put a quick end to it and I switched to a rubber band which is perfect for a hot summer. The Orient I just got has a metal clasp band which should give no issues in hot weather and frankly I like it a LOT better than the rubber band on my other watch.

I love watches as well and have a growing collection.. I would definitely agree on Seiko for entry level. I've got 2 myself :)

Christopher Ward makes great watches, but I find them to be either dress or casual not as much of a all around. You may look at a citizen Eco drive, I have the Titanium BM6560-54H and love it. Looks great with jeans and a t shirt or my suits for work. I get complements on it quite often. Do I love my Christopher Ward automatic? Yes, its a great watch for dress occasions but the citizen I wear non-stop and forget it's there until I need the time. I think I payed $150 with 10 year warranty for mine. Good luck and welcome to B&B

Well I think I've decided to pass on the Raymond Weil....Looked hard at some Christopher Ward....however at the addition of looking at Tissot... I have now found this one locally that I really like and that fits me quite well....and I feel like my head is going to explode.....so many choices. http://us.tissotshop.com/tissot-visodate-men-s-silver-automatic-brown-leather-strap-watch.html?jadid=%257Bcreative%257D&jk=%257Bkeyword%257D&jkId=gc:a8a8ae4cd38a702740138c408a2aa4889:t%257Bifsearch:1%257D%257Bifcontent:8%257D_%257Bmatchtype%257D_%257Bifmobile:m%257D:k_%257Bkeyword%257D:pl_%257Bplacement%257D&jp=%257Bplacement%257D&js=1&jsid=26675&jt=40&gclid=CJfpzOGEsbQCFe5FMgodew8AAA

Top Bottom