Thread: Browser Conpatibility Issue - IE

Default Browser Conpatibility Issue - IE

Good day.

I've recently installed Windows 8 and with it comes IE 10. I have notices more then a few forums choke on this, I suppose it will all work out with time. Most of the issues I see are just annoyances, and "Compatibility mode" helps a lot of the time, but there are two here in particular that negatively impact browsing:

• Compatibility View Off - I can use most of the dropdowns ("Thread Tools" and "Search" are an example), but cannot use the editor. When I type in it I cannot get a LF/CR, it just sits there blinking at me. Everyone loves a magnum opus in one big paragraph.
    • Compatibility View On - Dropdowns are sort of on the wrong layer - they open behind the text boxes. The editor works fine.

I can provide screen shots or whatever if someone would like more information.
    -Lee Foxhole Shavers Club, BOBS, BOSS, LOBOS, Order of Pinaud, AOM, SASS, BOTSS

Ah, IE. The bane of my existence. Get a real browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, anything but IE) and your issues will be gone.

We are working on a new design now, so if you choose to stick with IE, these are (unfortunately) issues that you'll have to deal with until we finalize the new design.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    Ah, IE. The bane of my existence. Get a real browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, anything but IE) and your issues will be gone.
    That's not a real appropriate answer. In November; IE had a 15% market share where Opera had 2%. Respectfully, "real" is in the eyes of the people using it. Some folks do not have the knowledge or desire to change. In 26+ years of IT I have often trained and mentored younger (either chronologically or in terms of maturity) engineers. A good book, required reading almost, is "The Business of IT: How to Improve Service and Lower Costs" by Robert Ryan and Tim Raducha-Grace. One must remember the tail does not wag the dog.

It's Christmas, people are getting new computers and especially Windows tablets (with Win8 and IE10), and more people will see these issues. I'm happy to hear you are working on it. Hopefully the people it impacts the most won't be those that will chose to use another website rather than another browser.

I also noticed while trying to find a fast workaround I could share, that there are banner ads which do not work in Underground.Style. It looks mostly "undone" so I'm not sure you meant to have that publicly available. The mobile style however is awesome on my tablets (Android and iOS) and phones (Android, Windows and iOS).

If I took your reply in a manner in which it was not intended then I apologize. Normally I deal in sarcasm and I am pretty good at detecting it, I just saw frustration there and not sarcasm. Maybe I should give up on trying to go back to sleep and go drink some coffee.

Absolutely 0 frustration in my post, I assure. Not frustration with you, anyway. Perhaps next time I will throw a few smileys into the mix.

You have a background in IT, correct? If IE made rack mount switches, their first version would require a special adapter to get into the rack. Version 2 would require specially formatted packets or they would be ignored. Version 3 wouldn't work at all, so they would quickly release version 4, which also requires specially formatted packets, but those packets are incompatible with versions 1 and 3. Version five would require the pinout of Blue/White, Orange, Green White, Brown, Green, Orange/White, Blue, Brown/White and would obviously lose a ton of packets in the process, but there's nothing you can do about it.

The point is, supporting every single version of IE is an absolute nightmare. We do our best here, as do many other websites, but your best bet is ALWAYS going to be to install another browser.

You won't likely see the theme fixes for IE10 because we have other larger issues on our plate right now dealing with hackers, spammers, and other scum. The theme was created by a third party, and until they release an update to fix these issues, we have nothing. We also have a new theme to be arriving in the coming weeks, which should resolve any and all issues.
    Kevin

I can relate to what you are saying. I guess I get fatigued hearing MS-bashers (just went through a hiring cycle @ work where all those people were weeded out) all the time. A closed mind is a closed mind. I have more experience in a UNIX environment actually, but whether MS follows standards or not it is something we must deal with in the wild.

My mother uses AOL, it's what she knows. My brother uses it as well because in his business that's what people actually expect to see (strange but true). Who do they call for help? You guessed it. I'm just glad they are online and I can email them.

"We" fix what people choose to use. Just like a mechanic does not sell you a new car when you need an oil change, we must learn that despite being frustrated with the choices, we don't get to make them. Truth be told I don't like Windows 8 personally, and am ambivalent about IE10. It's here though and not likely to go away so I'm pressing through and trying to learn it's ins and outs. This is not the first forum for which I've posted similar issues and I'm sure it won't be the last. I'm just the messenger and honestly just trying to help.

Thanks for the additional reply, and the information.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
    That's not a real appropriate answer. In November; IE had a 15% market share where Opera had 2%.
    Well if you want to get really nitty gritty, IE10 had a 0.51% market share in November. :p
    Chrome and Firefox still plod along at 15-20% each while all IE flavors make up >50%. Why pick on Opera?

The problem with IE 10 is not with this forum, it is with incompatibilities with the current version of vBulletin introduced by IE 10 nt coding to the same standards they had in IE8 or 9).
    Either vBulletin or IE 10 will have to accommodate the other eventually. Until that time, you have 2 options - use your workarounds or use Chrome/Firefox/Opera until either vBulletin or Microsoft fixes it.
    Missed out on the Auction? Donate and get a great brush at the same time!

It's not the blade, it's not the soap, it's not the Moon in Venus. It's pressure. Maybe angle, but mostly pressure.
    Tony, happy to be stewarding in Brush Forums and SBHC

Images

P.S.
    What business is your brother in that AOL is expected???

It's not the blade, it's not the soap, it's not the Moon in Venus. It's pressure. Maybe angle, but mostly pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    That was my first thought, too. IE (Windows 7) sits unused on my computer. We're a Chrome / Firefox household. No problems at all.

. Charles
    - - Mindful shaving, for a better world.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggises View Post
    P.S.
    What business is your brother in that AOL is expected???
    He trades Latex, and apparently all of the folks with whom he trades (in the far east) are AOL users. Seemed strange to me too but there it is.

Images

I had no idea they still had a global presence.
    Kinda like some rock bands - died here long ago but still play to packed houses in Japan.

Images

did a hear something bout a new theme in the coming weeks???

I too am a Chrome user, even on my Mac

and while we are on the topic of themes the underground style i really like but what stops me from using it is that i can't distinguish between threads i've read and threads with new posts like the RoyalFlush does, where it bolds the thread title or unbolds it if you've read it and there are no new posts.

*ok i guess underground works the same way, it's just harder to notice, for me anyway.