What's new

Smoked beer! Awesome!

This is the one I mentioned above. It is a limited run and has a very distinct flavor, and definitely worth a try.

... and it's worthy of another pic. What a great looking head and color!
$alaskan smoked porter.jpg

I had a smoked doppelbock from the same brewery as the OP. The bottle had a green theme instead of the red like in the picture. I forget the specifics, but it's a lighter smoke apparently than a proper rauchbier (which I haven't had). It was really interesting. A lot of familiar and a lot of new flavours. I really enjoyed it, but it's probably not something I'd reach for all the time.

if you like smoked beers and can get alaskan smoked porter...try it out. Very smokey. Not really my thing, but i have had a few i liked. One was a limited left hand release and stone smoked porter. But the smoke on those were pretty mild.

this! ^

I just emailed Alaska Brewing Company to see if they take mail orders and/or if they have a distributor in my neighborhood. Fingers crossed!

I've had the Schlenkerla a couple of times, but I can't get into the smokiness. I think I posted it in the BOTD thread in October..."Like drinking a Marzen next to a campfire". It's interesting, and I find it fun to drink one from time to time, but it's not my thing for regular enjoyment. Same goes for most chipotle and/or chili powder brews. Just too far out of my beer-palate comfort zone.

Which restaurant was that in Germany? I'm trying to remember if that was the same Rauchbier I had when I was stationed in Germany in 2009. Definitely went to a place that they were known for the Rauchbier.

I thought it tasted vaguely familiar to BBQ sauce, which was a first for me with beer.

Which restaurant was that in Germany? I'm trying to remember if that was the same Rauchbier I had when I was stationed in Germany in 2009. Definitely went to a place that they were known for the Rauchbier.

I thought it tasted vaguely familiar to BBQ sauce, which was a first for me with beer.

Unfortunately, the restaurant that I went to was in Queens, New York... http://www.zumstammtisch.com/
BBQ sauce! LOL! Maybe they added ketchup to it!
I visited Berlin in October of 2000. Every restaurant and just about every eating establishment had some kind of smoked meat. If I had only known about smoked beer back then...

Last edited:
I've had the Schlenkerla a couple of times, but I can't get into the smokiness. I think I posted it in the BOTD thread in October..."Like drinking a Marzen next to a campfire". It's interesting, and I find it fun to drink one from time to time, but it's not my thing for regular enjoyment. Same goes for most chipotle and/or chili powder brews. Just too far out of my beer-palate comfort zone.

Variety is the spice of life - gotta find new things or boredom sets in. Same reason why I have 12 DEs and 6 straights. I think smoked beer will be in my rotation for at least a few more weeks!

Top Bottom