What's new

Smoked beer! Awesome!

I had my first smoked beer at a German restaurant a few weeks ago and I talked my local beer distributor into stocking it. Wooo hooo!!!
Those Germans will smoke anything! The back label says, "Since 1405". It's a dark brown ale, almost but, not quite a stout... with a great smoked flavor!

$aecht-schlenkerla-rauchbier-maerzen1.jpg

Last edited:
I agree... the more you drink, the less smoke you taste. I experienced this phenomenon with Ed'd Original Cave Creek Chili Beer. It had a chili pepper in each bottle and the first bottle was really spicy and by the 10th or 12th bottle..... burp.... no more heat!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I never made it past 3 sips of the chili beer to find out. That stuff was terrible.

Stone's Smoked Porter is one of the better smoked beers I've had.

I was at my favorite local brewery the other day and they were pushing their new smoked beer. I tasted it and it was pretty good, but I opted for my usual sweet potato brew instead. The bartender told me that they're thinking about having a pig pickin' to go with the new beer. Sounds like a winner to me.

I have tried a few smoked beers. The Shiner is good. The local brewery's smoked is tasty. And Alaska's smoked is smoked in the salmon smokers that give it a unique taste, but it does take a few sips.

...but I opted for my usual sweet potato brew instead. .

Sweet Potato brew? That sounds like something I need to try! What brand was it?
A few years ago, I purchased a bottle Japanese sweet potato 80 proof booze that was incredibly amusing - it sounds like a sweet potato brew can hold a fellows attention for a few rounds. Gunna have to get me some!

Last edited:
Sweet Potato brew? That sounds like something I need to try! What brand was it?
A few years ago, I purchased a bottle Japanese sweet potato 80 proof booze that was incredibly amusing - it sounds like a sweet potato brew can hold a fellows attention for a few rounds. Gunna have to get me some!

It's from a local NC brewery called Fullsteam. I'm pretty sure that they are canning it now but I don't know how widely distributed it is.

Shochu--sweet potato liquor--is pretty tasty. You can also get it distilled from barley or a bunch of other grains. It's good if you mix it with citrus sodas (like squirt). It's called a chu-hai. Also good with fresh grapefruit juice.

It's from a local NC brewery called Fullsteam.

Good news - they have a website! Unfortunately, Fullsteam Brewery says that they have reached their brewing capacity and only distribute locally... however, their website offered some good news: they are currently in the process of expanding and hopefully, we will see their Carver Sweet Potato Brew in my neighborhood! It didn't look like they take mail orders for beer but, I just sent an email to find out.
$LABEL-CARVER.jpg

Me and my brew PIC make one every year. It's a smoked, oaked, imperial porter. We use a ton of peat smoked malt in it and the first drink taste like having a straight shot of young Islay Scotch. After that it mellows but the smoke still rolls around in your mouth.

I like Islay Scotches and that peat smoked flavor so much I threatened to put peat smoked malt in everything we brewed after the first one we made. :D

And if you like smoked beers, try cask or oaked aged beers and bourbon beers. Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout is excellent and will get you pretty drunk at 15%. Dogfish Head make a Burton Baton that's is my absolute favorite beer from them. Flying Dog out of Frederick Maryland release oak aged iterations of some of their other beers. The cask aged Gonzo Imperial Porter was amazing.

Last edited:
Good news - they have a website! Unfortunately, Fullsteam Brewery says that they have reached their brewing capacity and only distribute locally... however, their website offered some good news: they are currently in the process of expanding and hopefully, we will see their Carver Sweet Potato Brew in my neighborhood! It didn't look like they take mail orders for beer but, I just sent an email to find out.
View attachment 294443

Hogwash is their smoked beer. I like Carver a lot, but Working Man's Lunch is also fantastic.

I thought that they were canning their beer for a while. Maybe they abandoned that plan. I'll look around and see if I can find something.

If you like smoked beers and can get Alaskan Smoked Porter...try it out. Very smokey. Not really my thing, but I have had a few I liked. One was a limited Left Hand release and Stone Smoked porter. But the smoke on those were pretty mild.

Last edited:
mmm smoked ales, the only ones i tried where smoked porter and sat deiu du ceil in montreal and my 2 attempts at a smoked pale ales which lacked the smokieness i was aiming for. I shouldnt even be in this section, i quit drinking 5 months ago.

mmm smoked ales, the only ones i tried where smoked porter and sat deiu du ceil in montreal and my 2 attempts at a smoked pale ales which lacked the smokieness i was aiming for. I shouldnt even be in this section, i quit drinking 5 months ago.

I think it's great that you can be in this section without it conflicting with your new direction. Good luck and congrats on the 5 months!

If you like smoked beers and can get Alaskan Smoked Porter...try it out. Very smokey. Not really my thing, but I have had a few I liked. One was a limited Left Hand release and Stone Smoked porter. But the smoke on those was pretty mild.

Wow! This looks really good!
$AlaskanSmokedPorter.jpg

Me and my brew PIC make one every year. It's a smoked, oaked, imperial porter. We use a ton of peat smoked malt in it and the first drink taste like having a straight shot of young Islay Scotch. After that it mellows but the smoke still rolls around in your mouth.

I like Islay Scotches and that peat smoked flavor so much I threatened to put peat smoked malt in everything we brewed after the first one we made. :D

And if you like smoked beers, try cask or oaked aged beers and bourbon beers. Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout is excellent and will get you pretty drunk at 15%. Dogfish Head make a Burton Baton that's is my absolute favorite beer from them. Flying Dog out of Frederick Maryland release oak aged iterations of some of their other beers. The cask aged Gonzo Imperial Porter was amazing.

This looks great too! So many choices, so little time!
$bourbon-county-stout-2.jpg

Top Bottom