What's new

What is the best, moisturizing, soothing after shave on the market?

When you gents refer to Speick "Splash" which formulation is that? (I apologize if this is a dumb question)

I don't much like lotions or balms, as I find them to be too oily.

A link to the "splash" would be very helpful.

I have tried a lot of good products, but is there one that is head and shoulders better than the rest? Thayers works really well, I have had good success with Lucky Tiger. I have heard good things about I coloni and Pre de Province(?). I have sensitive skin, particulary on my neck and occasionally have red bumps after shaving on my neckline. Thoughts?

An aftershave? Well, a whole bunch of things could be moisturizing for your face after a shave. For authentic "aftershave", RazoRock Aftershave Wax is really nice. For a cheap, easy to try, easier to find solution, the Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm. I hear good things about Speick Splash, so I'll definitely get some soon and see how that turns out.

Unconventionally (at least to me), as soon as I finish a shave and splash some cold water on my face, I'll spray or splash on some Thayer's (like you've used), then throw on either the RazoRock Wax, Nancy Boy Replenishing Moisturizer, Captain's Choice, Floid... Whatever I feel fits the bill for that day.

Nancy Boy's Replenishing Moisturizer is some darn fine stuff, though expensive at first glance. For $25, you get 2 oz of a cucumber-infused cream that is very refreshing and moisturizing. Stick it in the fridge to keep it longer (no parabens and has cucumber hydrosol) and for that nice clean finish feel. Worth a try.

Since most, well 'all', splashes contain alcohol, make sure they have some benefits besides normally drying alcohol, such as glycerin, witch hazel, vitamin E...

Unconventionally (at least to me), as soon as I finish a shave and splash some cold water on my face, I'll spray or splash on some Thayer's (like you've used), then throw on either the RazoRock Wax, Nancy Boy Replenishing Moisturizer, Captain's Choice, Floid... Whatever I feel fits the bill for that day.

that is my daily routine. But I add one step...after my last pass and rinse, I apply the last of my lather to my face and leave on during the cleaning of my brush and razor, deodorant etc....then I start the rinse, wh, AS process

that is my daily routine. But I add one step...after my last pass and rinse, I apply the last of my lather to my face and leave on during the cleaning of my brush and razor, deodorant etc....then I start the rinse, wh, AS process

I do the last of the lather thing too Bruce. Seems a shame to rinse it all away, especially when some of these soaps/creams are great for the skin.

Personally, I didnt feel like the witch hazel did much for me in the aftershave process. Later in the day, or on off shave days however I enjoy using it occasionally.

I swear by Gillette's Intense Cooling Lotion.

Quite expensive, regularly priced from between $4 and $8 per tube.

But I got good deals from Randall's in Houston, Texas. Only $2 per tube.

I have tried a lot of good products, but is there one that is head and shoulders better than the rest? Thayers works really well, I have had good success with Lucky Tiger. I have heard good things about I coloni and Pre de Province(?). I have sensitive skin, particulary on my neck and occasionally have red bumps after shaving on my neckline. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've been using Feather Kanwa and really enjoy it. Feels nice, no burn, no stickiness, no glossiness, no smell (which I prefer) and a very convenient dispenser. The refills are pretty cheap, in per ounce terms.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If money were no object my favorites would be The Gentleman's Refinery, Art of Shaving and Geo F. Trumper Skin Food.

I like Nivea sensitive ASB as well, but the above are the best that I have used in recent years.

It might not be available to you except online, but 'de Vergulde Hand' ASB is in the same league as Nivea Sensitive and has a nice classic scent.

Thank you for all of your suggestions... as a result I tried Speik balm for the first time along with the shave stick.. and all I can say is Wow...your advice was spot on. Additionally, I have been using Nivea that was suggested (it took a bit to receive my order of Speik)and it is awesome as well! Thank you. With my sensitive neckline... and skin, it has not looked so good without any irritation mild or otherwise. Thank you for your advice and suggestions!

Regularly use Nivea sensitive as it works and is inexpensive. Just received the Speick ASB and I'm a big fan. Seems that your feel it more and it lasts longer. Big fan of Speick shaving cream, deodorant and now the ASB.

Razorock King Louis Aftershave Lotion. I cannot say enough good things about it. I feel it is the best AS product I have ever used. It's a light liquid in a spritzer bottle with a touch of menthol and a no nonsense lavender scent. There is also an 888 version which is a woodsy eucalyptus. It feels great going on, super soothing, and the aftershave softness and skin moisturizing properties are fantastic.
I have only used 888. This is the best I have used in the cold dry winter months. It easily offers 10-12 hours of protection.

TriSlim

Top Bottom