What's new

Zulu Grey

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Haha. I'm having too much fun with it. The little 5x1's are really fun to use, and not as difficult to use as some would think.

Hello guys,

Just a quick question:
Would you think it is wise to go from a 6000 Suherio/ Cerax to a Zulu?

Thanks

Hello guys,

Just a quick question:
Would you think it is wise to go from a 6000 Suherio/ Cerax to a Zulu?

Thanks

coincidentally, i just went from a Naniwa Green brick of Joy (somehwere from 2-7K IIRC) to Zulu but i haven't used it yet..

have you had a chance to see if the edge or scratches are affected by the Zulu? i mean with a scope?

I almost grabbed one I saw in the wild that came with a slurry stone. Does the finished results feel like a coticule or more like a synthetic.

coincidentally, i just went from a Naniwa Green brick of Joy (somehwere from 2-7K IIRC) to Zulu but i haven't used it yet..

have you had a chance to see if the edge or scratches are affected by the Zulu? i mean with a scope?

I don' t have a Zulu, so no.
I have the Cerax 1000/6000 Combo and a coticule. I use the Cerax for tools and knives and the coti for razors. But the edge my coticule makes is not keen enough for me, while a crox finish is too harsh.
Currently I finish my razors with some 0,3 mic lapping film after honing with my coti. For me this makes an as smooth but keener edge than the coticule does.

My thoughts are, getting a stone that I can use as a finisher after the Cerax and getting rid of the Coti. Than I could get away with these 2 stones.

What do you think?

I don' t have a Zulu, so no.
I have the Cerax 1000/6000 Combo and a coticule. I use the Cerax for tools and knives and the coti for razors. But the edge my coticule makes is not keen enough for me, while a crox finish is too harsh.
Currently I finish my razors with some 0,3 mic lapping film after honing with my coti. For me this makes an as smooth but keener edge than the coticule does.

My thoughts are, getting a stone that I can use as a finisher after the Cerax and getting rid of the Coti. Than I could get away with these 2 stones.

What do you think?

You could always get a different coti. I just got my 3rd coti. The 1st 2 I got great shaves off but kept trying to find a way to get it a little keener. Trying pastes and different stones after. The edge loses the comfort if you use something else after a coti. I just got a new small coti the other day. It finishes finer. I can get HHT 3 off the stone. That s before stropping. This is just as sharp as using my Naniwa 12k then going to diamond spray and pastes. Only in get the comfort without the harshness.

That would be another option. Maybe I just didn't learn my coti enough, but at the moment I'm browsing for other possiblities. In detail I look around for natural hones (because they are commonly smooth), that can finish a razor after a 6000grid to a slightly keener edge than my coti.

I'm not a zulu grey expert, but im sure youve read its been compared to either an "escher on roids" or "slow finisher", i guess it depends on the sample you get.

mine seems ok, very hard,dense but I haven't maxxed out its capabilities. far from it sadly (i hope)

The two I had never impressed me much - seemed more like a Chug on Wheaties maybe.
Def not Thuri class stones IMO.

So pretty much the same game as with slates.
Sorry but this is a bit OT: but I would like to keep it simple respectively to get away if less stones. At the moment I have a set of stones for knives and tools and the Coti for my razors. But I would like to have a one for all set.
I know that there are a lot of nice synthetc hones, but as far from what I have read they make a more harsh edge, what I don't like.
That's why I'm looking for a natural finisher that can be used after the 6000. So I can use the Cerax for knives, or for bevel setting and refining and finishing on a natural stone.
Does that sound reasonable?

Top Bottom