What's new

First shave with muhle r41

So had the first shave with this much talked about razor.
First of all as soon as you hold this razor you can tell it is a quality piece of equipment.
My set up was
r41
derby blade
tobs Jermyn st

Now I do not usually use a derby but I'd thought if start with a mild blade.
Any way as soon as I'd made 1 stroke I could tell this would be close. After one pass I had a DFS. But I thought I'd give it one ATG pass.
I was not disappointed! It has given me a great shave. I can't wait to use my regular Gillette yellow or feather in it. My usual ej89 never quite gets my neck/throat hair.
My face felt a bit hot after the shave but no razor burn or nicks.
Im hoping this razor will eliminate the 2 ingrown a I never seem to be able to avoid.
Alll in all very pleased and would highly recommend.

Good Luck....I have shaved twice with R41 and the 2nd with a Feather was exceptional!

Last edited:
I have eyed this piece of hardware, and what a looker! But thing is I heard horror stories about it too, for some it seems unusable due to the harshness or what ever. Personally I get the spare cash I might hop on it and see what the fuss is, if I don't like it I could always get it sold or PIF it and it'll go fast either way likely.

Sounds like you did good with the R41, which is a pretty aggressive razor. An absolute light touch is needed when using the R41, but once you get it down the results are great.

For sure a light touch is necessary. I will be shaving tomo with a yellow so will update. I think the angle of the blade is very important on this razor. After one use though I do recommend. Good luck

I too am a MuhleR41/Feather man! If I have a few days of growth, it's the greatest feeling and greatest shave imaginable. Still working on technique a bit. But it's amazing. Gonna buy 100 Feathers tonight; I think I have found my blade!

My R41 w/a Polsilver SI is my daily driver. On occasion I'll throw a Feather in just to mix it up. It's a great razor. Glad you enjoyed your first shave with it.

I have eyed this piece of hardware, and what a looker! But thing is I heard horror stories about it too, for some it seems unusable due to the harshness or what ever. Personally I get the spare cash I might hop on it and see what the fuss is, if I don't like it I could always get it sold or PIF it and it'll go fast either way likely.
If you start out with a milder blade to get the feel of the R41 you probably won't run into any of the horror stories lol... :)
The R41 is my daily driver with an Astra, Polsilver SI, Silver Blue etc.. but on weekends every now and then I might throw Feather or Black when I have the time for a relaxing pampered shave!

Terry, you and I must have been on the same page this morning, I also tried out the R41 for the first time this morning. My only other Razor is the R89 which I have used almost every day for the last 4 years or so. My set up this morning was:

R41
Derby
Razo Rock
CF 1445

My experience was very similar to yours. I will admit I was being very careful especially after some of the other experiences I have read about, but I escaped with no cuts. My face didn't feel hot as yours did, but it was very apparent that it was a close shave. I really liked it and am looking forward to trying it with other blades/creams etc. I am going to have to pay close attention to the pressure and the angle as you mentioned, this thing seems to demand your attention...a slight slip seems like it will easily result in a big cut. The sound of the shave is a thing of beauty (that is slightly scary at the same time). I did a fair bit of research before my purchase and plan to stick with this razor for the long term and will have my R89 as backup/travel razor. Good luck with your experimenting, this thing should turn out some great shaves!

Glad you liked it. Personally, I love the R41 and now find it difficult to use any other razor! Red Personnas and Astra SPs work really well in it for me.

Well second shave this time same set up but with an Astra blade. An even better shave. Getting excited about using a feather now.
Still no nicks and blade seemed a lot smoother.
Anyone with thick corse stubble I must say this razor could be your answer.

I like the R41, and haven't had nicks or weepers either. But like some others, "every day" would be a real challenge -- I don't get irritation-free shaves, so prefer something milder for consecutive days.
I also don't like the uber-light handle that was stock on mine. I replaced it with an aftermarket stainless handle.

Top Bottom