What's new

Inexpensive Caliper

If you live near a Harbor Freight Tool Store you may want to get one of these
Got one. Not exactly a precision instrument, but more than sufficient for measuring knot diameters, hole depth, and other brush restoration-related measurements. I find myself using it for many other household measuring chores, also.

I actually broke down and purchased this one. I have the economy calipers (actually 2 of them). The digital makes me feel....more professional! They have a coupon right now so it's only $10.00

Guys! I can't believe that we, precision instrument lovers, who will spend $200 on a razor that shaves the same as $30 one are talking about a $1 caliper. A decent non-digital 0.001" accurate dial model will set you back around $30 and will last a long time after the batteries are no longer produced. I usually hate having a battery in a measurement instrument. This is because the battery WILL ALWAYS die at the very inappropriate moment. The dial calipers are great, inexpensive and fairly durable if treated with care (like razors, you know). buying throw-away calipers for $0.99 just encourages the industry to produce garbage. If you need a caliper you can probably afford a $30 one. Heck, I'll trade you mine for a razor or something...

Don't mean to come off snobbish, but I just hate cheap throw away junk. That was partly why I gave up on cartridge shaving.

I have a set of the digital calipers and they work very well and are plenty durable for what we do with them. If you are going to restore one or two brushes there is no need to spend $30 on a cheap set of dials. Since i sold all my tools, I was a tool and die maker, I didn't keep any of my calipers but these digital ones from harbor freight are pretty accurate they aren't a set of Brown and Sharp but they get the job done. I have had mine for over a year and probably restored close to 100 brush handles and have changed the battery one time.

I have a set of the digital calipers and they work very well and are plenty durable for what we do with them. If you are going to restore one or two brushes there is no need to spend $30 on a cheap set of dials. Since i sold all my tools, I was a tool and die maker, I didn't keep any of my calipers but these digital ones from harbor freight are pretty accurate they aren't a set of Brown and Sharp but they get the job done. I have had mine for over a year and probably restored close to 100 brush handles and have changed the battery one time.

I have the same set of calipers and they are really good, but an old fashioned ruler (or inexpensive calipers) is sufficient to perform the task at hand.

Guys! I can't believe that we, precision instrument lovers, who will spend $200 on a razor that shaves the same as $30 one are talking about a $1 caliper. A decent non-digital 0.001" accurate dial model will set you back around $30 and will last a long time after the batteries are no longer produced. I usually hate having a battery in a measurement instrument. This is because the battery WILL ALWAYS die at the very inappropriate moment. The dial calipers are great, inexpensive and fairly durable if treated with care (like razors, you know). buying throw-away calipers for $0.99 just encourages the industry to produce garbage. If you need a caliper you can probably afford a $30 one. Heck, I'll trade you mine for a razor or something...

Don't mean to come off snobbish, but I just hate cheap throw away junk. That was partly why I gave up on cartridge shaving.

Well, I think part of it is that I'm taking a $10.00 vintage brush, and putting a knot in it. A difference of 1mm probably isn't going to make a big difference. Although, if I were working on something that needed that much precision, I would opt for something more accurate (and expensive).

This. Bravo!

speaking as someone working in a machine shop and probably taking in excess of a couple thousand vernier measurements per day, every day. I can state in industrial use, when your vernier measurements put food on the table and speed and accuracy matter, people will over time chose non-digital over digital every time .... faster, easier, more accurate etc. we use Mitutoyo Verniers and Micrometers that run into the thousands. If accurate measurements are your goal buy a Mit mic that will measure to individual tenths of a thou.They run around $4500 I believe .... pardon my skepticism but the thought of someone using a $3 vernier for accurate measurements is very scary ...they probably not give consistent, accurate results ... with that I wish you good luck sir

I have more than one set of Calipers. None of them are pieces of junk though. The cheapest one I have is a dial caliper and it cost me around $100. If you need a measurement so precise you need calipers, you need accurate calipers.

I have a couple of the green plastic ones around. (Hate the cheap shiny metal ones though, too hard to read.)
I like them particularly for narrow hole depths and such.

The main reason I might want a digital model is to measure differences.

I have a Harbor Freight digital that works great. Paid about $20.00 for it. As little as I need it and for the level of accuracy needed, it is more than enough.

This reminds me of the portion of ISO 9001:2008 element 7.6 that speaks to what needs to be calibrated. It starts the paragraph off with "When necessary to ensure valid results, measuring equipment shall be calibrated or verified, or both, at specified intervals or prior to use against measurement standards traceable to national or internal standards . . . "

The operable part of the phrase is "Where necessary to ensure valid results . . ."

If it isn't necessary to ensure valid results it doesn't need to be calibrated.

For anything I'm doing to make or modify a shaving brush it simply doesn't need to be calibrated, nor do you need to worry that it is off by a thou or two.

When you are making a shaving brush it simply is not the same as making aircraft parts. Close enough truly is close enough, and a cheap caliper is a whole lot better than an eyeball or a tape measure.

Top Bottom