What's new

Nasal snuff?

I was poking around one of the pipe smoking forums mentioned in another thread here, and came across mention of nasal snuff as an alternative to smoking.

I'm interrested in trying some as a means of enjoying tobacco without inconveniencing others in my family with a smoke smell (and particularly as a part of an experiment in staying awake while driving), but the only store I see listed in NJ that carries it is quite a way away; and it seems the smaller size tins are very inexpensive, and I just can't see myself ordering one to try online.

Does anybody know if nasal snuff is commonly available at tobacco stores and it's just not widely known on the net; or know where I can get some in central NJ to try?

Anyone here have any experience with it they'd like to share?

I have tried it and actually liked it. Be warned: this is not the copenhagen (or american) "snuff" that is actually chewing tobacco...this is very very finely ground, very dry, powdered tobacco.

I ordered it from here. Quite affordable at less than 2 dollars. I got the "Kendal brown" which is just a straight tobacco (no added flavvoring). I find the snuff hits pretty hard after a few minutes...very different experience from pipe/cigar/cigarette...but it does give quite a nice nic kick...

I've used it, but not regularly - I much prefer the traditional British snuffs to the heavily flavoured ones.

Your eyes will water and you will sneeze the first couple of times - you definitely get a bit of a kick from snuff - especially the British ones.

Try calling around to some local pipe/cigar shops - most will carry some snuff.

Ask if they have any of the British brands - Samuel Gawith, Gawith & Hogarth and Wilsons are all quality brands.

Have fun and don't forget to keep some tissues or a hankie (not a white one!) handy!

snip... British brands - Samuel Gawith, Gawith & Hogarth and Wilsons are all quality brands.....snip

I have and use tins made by all 3, and I enjoy their use when I'm flying, in a conference, etc, where you can't easily get away for a smoke.

One thing though, and please no offense, if you're drowsy, don't look for something artificial to keep you awake while driving. Nothing can replace a snooze, or even pull off on the side of the road for a 5 min power nap.

I scared the bee-jeezuz out of myself one time driving while tired. Only think saved me was the rumble strips. I didn't even feel my eyes get heavy, I was just out like a light. I still shudder when I think of that.

One thing though, and please no offense, if you're drowsy, don't look for something artificial to keep you awake while driving. Nothing can replace a snooze, or even pull off on the side of the road for a 5 min power nap.

I think this is the best advice so far. :001_smile

I scared the bee-jeezuz out of myself one time driving while tired. Only think saved me was the rumble strips. I didn't even feel my eyes get heavy, I was just out like a light. I still shudder when I think of that.

Happened to me once in broad daylight on the NJ Turnpike, after a cup of coffee. It's scary to think that the last 15 years of my life almost didn't happen.

I have actually ben making it a point to go to bed much earlier than I had been to avoid this problem. I have been looking around for "just in case" solutions for so long it's just a habit.

I suppose the habit is just sort of in overkill because I did recently have an accident due to falling asleep at the wheel (I had been working long hours, but didn't see it coming). Luckily no one was hurt.

...but you are all correct. The best advice I have ever come across is to make sure you get enough sleep.

Truthfully, I came across the snuff because I was thinking about pipe smoking; but my wife is an avid non-smoker, and I quit smoking for her and my children a few years ago. I saw the snuff and thought "there is an idea for a bit of a nicotine fix that doesn't really disrupt anyone else."

The driving issue was a "hey, I wonder if it would work for that too?"

Point of note, the ONLY thing I found that helps keep you in the "here and now" when driving tired is eating sunflower seeds. I think it is the act of shelling them in your mouth that keeps you from drifting. The problem is the salt can tear the hell out of your mouth in short order.

So... if you ever DO find yourself in a situation of being a bit drowsy, and you absolutely must drive, bick up some sunflower seeds (in the shell) and munch on them. It helps.

Anyway, PM replied to. Anyone have any other snuff related experiences or info that anyone wants to share?

In terms of staying awake at the wheel, my grandpa was a truck driver for many years, and he had two tricks that kept him awake (and he was normally pretty prone to doze off). One was the sunflower seeds. He always had a bag or two on him. The other was really cold ice water. He'd usually fill an old milk carton with water and freeze it. The he would slowly drink it as it melted. I've used this on long trips as well (it needs ice in it, not just a cold drink out of a convenience store fridge).

I bought several tins from a large, local cigar store. No idea what I was doing, and never being a moderation kind of guy, I snorted a big pile of the stuff. It about blew me backwards out of my chair. Watery eyes, burning nose and sinus, and a certain mental glaziness for a couple of minutes.

Needless to say, I pitched it.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Try some MadCroc gum for a little pick up. It is available at Target. It is caffeine gum. The Army did a test on the best stimulant and caffeine gum was the winner.

I bought several tins from a large, local cigar store. No idea what I was doing, and never being a moderation kind of guy, I snorted a big pile of the stuff. It about blew me backwards out of my chair. Watery eyes, burning nose and sinus, and a certain mental glaziness for a couple of minutes.

Needless to say, I pitched it.

You aren't supposed to snort it! A small pinch and sniff gently!:lol:

Sam Gawith's kendal brown is my favourite. Not so keen on other maker's KB.

Gareth

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Do you think it would wake you up for a long drive home if you were feeling drowsy?

I get my snuff from Pierre Francois de la Brioschi.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGPcSd7DDLk[/YOUTUBE]

T

Toquesnuff

As an ex cut-throat razor survivor I felt perfectly placed to answer this question.
Snuff is under going something of a renaissance, millions of new snuff users are enjoying the resurgence of snuff taking in the same way wet shaving is undergoing a resurrection. Unlike cut-throats v Electric, the medical establishments are now saying snuff is dramatically safer than smoking. "Snuff seems an entirely acceptable substitute for smoking and could be recommended for addicted smokers because, if they could substitute snuff-taking for smoking, they would greatly reduce the risk to their health." Cancer research (UK)
Approximately 50% of our snuff sales go to America with Europe taking 40% and the rest of the world the remaining 10%.
Still using my first badger brush and it’s 28 years old.

years ago i tried one of the brands,i think it was "dean swift" raspberry.a tiny snort and the back of your head expands for a minute or two.a nice quick buzz.just hard to find.now that i don't mess with tobacco i would not try it again.

OK.
I'm officially interested. :Yawn:
As a shift worker (10p-6am) I am always looking for new ways to stay awake.
This looks promising.

Well, thanks to Barcochris I just had my first sniff of snuff. I had Wilsons of Sharrow Best SP.

Quite interresting! It did give me a bit of a burn, and got me sneezing, but I'll probably continue to try it for a while.

Thank you Chris!

Top Bottom