What's new

Gentlemen Present your Axes!

Most of us are on this forum due to our RAD, and as we all know many guitarists and bassists suffer from GAS. So do any guitarists or bassists out there want to share some pics?

proxy.php

This is my Gibson T-bird studio model. It has a fixed neck and solid mahogany construction with a Cherry red stain finish. The position of the strap button has on this design was changed to just below where the neck join and the head stock was re-positioned to eliminate the infamous neck dive issue that effects other T-bird models. There is plenty of power in the Gibson soap bars and the mahogany gives it plenty of boom. This one is special for me as I save for a whole year to buy it there really nothing more rewarding than earning something you really want

proxy.php

This is the latest addition to my arsenal Ltd B-204 SM featuring a 5 piece maple and rosewood thin U shaped neck, an ash body finished with a spalted maple top. I picked up for a steal when a music shop was having a going out of business sale I has a more punchy sound compared to the T-bird so I have a great variety in terms of the sound I can get when recording stuff with my band.

I also have a beat up Ibanez SR500 which I am in the process of rewiring, thats on the back burn as I'm working on my thesis this semester. I'm torn over whether I should leave the body as it is or send it away to have the scratches filled in and the whole thing painted metallic green

Last edited:
Sweet basses, guys. I don't have any pics presently, but I have 3 myself. Peavey Millenium BXP, Fender MIM P-Bass Special, and Hohner 5 string.

My main guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul with Seymour Duncan the Hot-Rodded pickup set (Sh-2 in the neck, Sh-4 in the bridge) strung with a set of DDTs.

Will add pics tomorrow.

$Sav Profile2.jpg

I guy gave me this bass. It's a Precision from 1980. Some kids in a thrash band were throwing it around their jam room. When I got it the neck was terribly bowed. I tightened the truss rod and added a thumb rest to hold the cracked pick-up in place and have been playing it for 10 years now. It's my main axe....

$17871_104861779532991_100000275077940_126933_1154460_n.jpg

This is a sweet little LTD that I use for my 1/2 step down axe. Yes I'm using a bow on it for a cello part in a Lifehouse song. This bass has incredible sustain and a nice punchy sound....

Here's my 2 a Lakland 55-02 and a tribute Fender I assembled. It's aimed to copy the '75 P I had... and not long after I put this one together, Fender released their 70's model...

proxy.php

@Turtle is that an original 1970's production?

@ Savage is +1 on your description of the LTD sound, would you mind sending a link to some of your band's stuff?

@Reds good job on that P-Bass it looks the business

@Iowjax nice solid collection you've gotten yourself looking forward to some pics

@Mredifus a lot of the guitarists I've played with never bothered to move from the Epiphones they started with, they just upgraded the pickups and give other high end brands a run for their money. My friend put a set of steamhammers in his SG they sound amazing!

@Turtle is that an original 1970's production?

Yes it is an original Guild B-301 fretless that I bought new in the mid 70's (the photo was taken in 1979 I believe). I use nylon wrapped strings on it which gives a similar sound/tone to an upright bass. It is a nice jazz axe.

I almost went to my basement to grab my axe before I opened up the thread and looked at the OP's picture.:001_unsur

:001_smile I was just being a little tongue in cheek myself. It's a habit I've got that my elementary school teachers tried to correct. I feel bad for them now. Nice guitars these guys have though.

Do banjos count? :biggrin1:

$banjo 002.jpg

This is a JH Buckbee from around 1890 most likely. I only started a little more than a month ago, but I love it.

Last edited:
I have 4 'axes' in rotation right now, but only 1 with me at uni (The Cort - easiest to replace ha)

This is my Cort - I think it's a Hiram Bullock signature model. No idea who he is, but it's a really well made HSH swamp ash strat with birdseye maple neck. Currently strung with 13s. Sounds ace for blues/funk. Cost me a grand sum of £250 brand new about 5 years ago. Well worth it, its been gigged extensively. I stripped the neck to bare wood and changed the pickups to some bareknuckles that were donated to me.

$P8170441.jpg

This is my One True Love, an Ibanez J-Custom RG8670TB. Imported from the land of the rising sun. I saved up for 6 months when I was 17 to get this. Cost twice as much as my first car and delayed me learning to drive. Worth it though. Being quite a limited thing, it came with a certificate of authenticity which was subsequently lost. The impingement of its resale value doesn't bother me as this thing is never gonna be sold. Again, neck was stripped to bare wood, and bridge pickup changed to a PAF Pro. It's always amusing when an Ibanez fan approaches me after a gig and comments (usually with barely masked disdain) on using it for gigging and the possibility of it no longer being 'mint' condition. They're damned right - the thing is dinged to hell - but my guitars are for playing, not collecting.
$P5206534.jpg

An artsy shot of the Ibby and my amp

$P5166235.jpg

Not my image, but I don't currently have one of my HM Strat so I'm borrowing this one! Mine is identical except for the link under 'Strat' is pink on mine. Mine is an '88 USA made. Came to me with EMGs installed (Eurgh) which were replaced with DiMarzios (It's an 80s guitar, so they HAD to be hot pink) and used as main axe in an 80s rock/metal band. Its currently awaiting me finishing uni and getting a job so I can afford to restore it. Kahler want an extortionate amount for a nut, string blocks and fine tuners, and mine is in dire need need of a refret.

proxy.php

My last axe is an Ibanez dreadnought acoustic. I have no idea what the model is and have no pictures of it so can't tell you anything about it, other than it sounds lovely and mellow!

If I bag myself a well-paid job after uni I'm treating myself to an Ibanez PGM :)

Here is my modest collection... Four stringers first since I am primarily a bass player.
proxy.php

Sixers next, I'm a guitar hack... I use them primarily for writing as I am our band's song-Writer
proxy.php

And these are the latest additions, they didn't make it into the family photos.
proxy.php

I have been playing guitar since I was a kid. I primarily play acoustic.

I always wanted a hand built made in USA acoustic. A few years back I sold a Gibson SG and saved a bit and bought this Guild:

$IMG_2443.JPG
$IMG_2284.JPG
$IMG_2286.JPG
$IMG_2273.JPG
$IMG_2444.JPG

This is one of the newer D55's made in the CT factory, only a few guitars built per day. It plays like butter, sounds sweet, and smells like sweet perfume.

Next is probably a Collings OM, 000, or parlor...

My modest collection! From L-R:

Cort acoustic (complete with dart-holes from when I used to foolishly leave it under my dartboard)
J-Bass American Deluxe
Godin Custom (50 made)
St. Blues Bluesmaster
Epiphone SG (currently under renovation)
$2013-04-07 16.21.45.jpg

And to class things up a bit.... :001_tt2:

$2013-04-07 16.22.01.jpg

Tenor, the acoustic bass is an Epiphone El Capitan. Great bass for the money, loudest, clearest E string I have ever heard on an un-amplified AB. Looks great too, beautiful blonde back and sides!

Jweber, I had the privilege of borrowing a friends El Capitan for an acoustic gig once. Fantastic AB, totally agree about the volume on the E. And who doesn't love a beautiful blonde?! :lol:

Top Bottom