What's new

Just had my haircut and..... !

Hi guys

Just popped into to local barbers for a trim, chap in there was having a straight razor shave with a blade razor, was chatting to barber and it turns out they have to use them by law now as health & safety regulations say they are not allowed to use straight razors as the blade must be disposed of after each shave.

Very sad :frown: But the barber said they give just as good a shave as a straight.

Regards
Nigel

Maybe it varies county to county but here in Cornwall there are NO regulations as far as cutting hair or shaving people goes. You don't need to be trained or qualified!!!!!!!

You could use a dirty old Stanley knife if you wanted. I just don't think the business would last very long. People like to see the barbicide and the fresh blades and the UV steriliser and so on. It gives them a sense of security before they sit back for the relaxing bit. I would never shave anybody with a used blade. I would shave people with a 'real' straight but only if I had an autoclave, which I don't cos they cost too much.

Anyhoo

Cheers

Mat

It makes me wonder what the difference is between scissors and razors. I mean, some scissors can be VERY sharp. What about them? Seems kind of arbitrary to me.

-Mason

Maybe it varies county to county but here in Cornwall there are NO regulations as far as cutting hair or shaving people goes. You don't need to be trained or qualified!!!!!!!

You could use a dirty old Stanley knife if you wanted. I just don't think the business would last very long. People like to see the barbicide and the fresh blades and the UV steriliser and so on. It gives them a sense of security before they sit back for the relaxing bit. I would never shave anybody with a used blade. I would shave people with a 'real' straight but only if I had an autoclave, which I don't cos they cost too much.

Anyhoo

Cheers

Mat

Hi Mat

Its the same wherever you are, have just spoken to the gentlemans shop in Hungerford and its the same there, also my uncle was/is a barber in London and he does straight shaves and the same rule applies!

Kind regards
Nigel

You know what I don't understand is that people make such a big deal about barbers and the sterilization of razors. Of course the barbers are going to sterilize the razors! They're professionals! That's what they've been trained to do. That's why they have the license hanging on the wall.

Do you ever bring your own utensils to a restaurant? Do five star restaurants use sporks now? Of course not! God knows where those utensils have been, but we assume that they have been cleaned and sterilized. Why wouldn't we assume that a professional barber wouldn't do the same thing? Crazy.

Just my two cents.

Very sad :frown: But the barber said they give just as good a shave as a straight.
I'm sure they shave just a closely, but they don't quite feel the same.

Do you ever bring your own utensils to a restaurant?
uuuuuhm ... heh :redface: Whenever I remember I actually do bring my own chopsticks to the sushi place just to save them from disposing of another cheap pair of pine sticks. you could bring the barber your own straight and get him to use it, then take it away with you and sterilize it yourself, letting nobody else be shaved by it. That'd save a blade and give you the real experience. Plus you could learn to use it on oyur own while you have it. :cool:

X

It makes me wonder what the difference is between scissors and razors. I mean, some scissors can be VERY sharp. What about them? Seems kind of arbitrary to me.

-Mason

The use of scissors does not involve contact with blood, unless the barber is very clumsy.

Top Bottom