What's new

Friday & Saturday deliveries

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Camera battery died before I could photograph the tops. Will add those later. Used the GYLE (25mm x 52mm) yesterday and the M&F "Polo" (27.5mm x 54mm) today. Both are fantastic brushes with dense, well-shaped knots. The GYLE is luxurious without being overly soft for my taste: nice scrub/massage, no hint of scritch. The M&F impresses me as remarkably soft-tipped for a 2-band. Not gel-like, mushy soft; it appears to me rather that the ends conform responsively to light pressure while the rest of the shafts exhibit typical 2-band sprininess. I can feel the tips nicely (or clumps of them); however, they behave cordially. But I should note I have an L7 with a 24mm x 50mm, somewhat less dense knot made of the same hair (according to LS) that seems a bit "scrappier". I've only used the L7 once so far and can't clearly remember if I noticed any scritch -- maybe a hint -- but my skin was more sensitive at the time from over-indulgence in face-lathering, I think. In any case I suspect the 4mm of additional loft in the "Polo" has some bearing on how it feels in comparison to the L7. Both the GYLE and the "Polo" lather and release like champions, although I was still able to squeeze a palm-full of perfect lather from the M&F at the end of the second pass.

$Friday & Saturday.jpg

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Thanks. Me too. I also have a Butterscotch M7 in 2-band. I think the M7 and Tulip are my two favorite handles.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Great brushes! I have to say I'm partial to the light GYLE myself. :thumbup:

You were right about the brush. I've only used it once, and although I'm not ready to declare a favorite, it's definitely in the top 3-4.

I'm finding I like variety, so I'm really not out to discover the "best" brush for me anyway.

Beautiful brushes. I remember when I bought my Emperor 3 two band that I had a real mental battle trying to decide between it and the larger Polo. I really love the appearance of the Polo handle but I was afraid it would be too large. I love my Emperor 3 for what it is.... which is a precise little bowl latherer.... but sometimes I wonder what a larger Polo handle brush would be like. I like the M7 handle as well but I'm not as fond of the little shoulder at the top of the handle near the base of the knot as some other guys might be. Same with the Tulip handle. I think I'm in the minority there though..... really nice looking brushes. You can be proud of those.

Ben

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Beautiful brushes. I remember when I bought my Emperor 3 two band that I had a real mental battle trying to decide between it and the larger Polo. I really love the appearance of the Polo handle but I was afraid it would be too large. I love my Emperor 3 for what it is.... which is a precise little bowl latherer.... but sometimes I wonder what a larger Polo handle brush would be like. I like the M7 handle as well but I'm not as fond of the little shoulder at the top of the handle near the base of the knot as some other guys might be. Same with the Tulip handle. I think I'm in the minority there though..... really nice looking brushes. You can be proud of those.

I have a pre-Vulvix Emperor 2 2-band that turned out to be a big surprise. I expected it to be very soft and delicate, but while it's precise, it is also scrappy -- not harsh at at, and no scritch or scratch, but its kinda pokey scrub gets my attention. I've only used it once, and I still don't feel like I've had enough experience to write a brush "review". But I'll post photos and impressions after I've used it another time or two.

I really, really like the M&F "Polo" brush (the particular one I have). Although I don't think I'll ever become a big fan of the handle aesthetically, the brush is a stellar performer by my current standards. It might, however, be a little closer to "perfect" with about 1-2mm less knot diameter in one of Lee's other handles. But then I don't how messing around with the loft would change the brush's characteristics otherwise.

Can't say whether you're in the minority re M7s and Tulips. So what if you are? They're probably my two favorite handles -- ergonomically ideal for me, and I like the shelf functionally because I can easily remove soap residue by running a Q-tip around it.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Those badger really like to multiply. I remember getting up to 18 at some point and having no clue how I got there. I'm being very good about maxing out at 10.

Like rabbits. 26 with 1 more on the way. But I intend to thin the herd. There are 3 or 4 that will be easy, even though they're very fine brushes; they just don't fit with my preferences -- too big, too small, or too something else (I dare not say "scritchy"). I'd like to get the number down to, say, 14. That would enable rotating through them all in 2 weeks, twice in a month. But that's going to be difficult. At first I thought I'd end up with just 2-bands. But I've come around to an appreciation of variety.

I'm a little embarrassed about how many I've accumulated so fast. But it serves a purpose. It's pretty hard to figure out what you like without trying a bunch. And then about the time you think you've got it sorted, you think about it again.

One thing I've discovered is that while I don't like to change up razors very much (and I have lots of them too), it can serve a purpose to rotate brushes. If I use a really scrubby, abrasive brush one day, I'll go to a softer 3-band the next. Lathering with different brushes keeps things interesting while I mostly stick with using a couple or 3 razors (2 British LC NEWs: a ball-end 3-piece and a #77/88, and a Pre WWII Rotbart LC).

Last edited:
I'm a little embarrassed about how many I've accumulated so fast. But it serves a purpose. It's pretty hard to figure out what you like without trying a bunch. And then about the time you think you've got it sorted, you think about it again.

I can't make any guarantees since I'm only 29 and could potentially have 40 more years of shaving left, but I'm happy with my 10. I know I only got to 18 max at 1 point but I have tried over 50 brushes. There are two different types of people: those that find a combination that works and do not think to try another because that combination works and those that want to try another because 1 combination isn't enough. I figured out what I do like and it shows as all my brushes (except 1) are 2-bands and most are by Rooney. I appreciate the little differences between then but overall the 10 behave just the way I want them.

Will you keep going? Who knows! Will I? I sure hope I'm not swimming in badger in 5 years.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I can't make any guarantees since I'm only 29 and could potentially have 40 more years of shaving left, but I'm happy with my 10. I know I only got to 18 max at 1 point but I have tried over 50 brushes. There are two different types of people: those that find a combination that works and do not think to try another because that combination works and those that want to try another because 1 combination isn't enough. I figured out what I do like and it shows as all my brushes (except 1) are 2-bands and most are by Rooney. I appreciate the little differences between then but overall the 10 behave just the way I want them.

Will you keep going? Who knows! Will I? I sure hope I'm not swimming in badger in 5 years.

I don't think so. I bought about 60 razors over approximately 6 months (from late December last year up to June of this year). Then I stopped almost entirely after settling on a British ball-end LC NEW ajc347 scored for me on UK eBay for something like $12. (I picked up the Rotbart recently on BST, and now I'm using it half the time or more. (I need to write a review on it, but I'd like to find another one for contributing to demand. So don't tell anyone about it.)

I had virtually no interest in brushes until the Classic Shaving sale in October (or whenever it was). That triggered some discussion of a previous CS offering of Rooney Finest brushes I'd been oblivious to. I've always been a sucker for mythology, and Rooney Finest brushes have begun to enter that realm. One thing led to another.

Although I'm sure I'll pick up some more brushes over time, I think I'm ready to shut down for a while. I need to use what I have and part with at least a few. I also plan to sell a bunch of razors in the New Year.

Top Bottom