What's new

Why use a large or exta large brush?

Hey Everyone,
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the advantages and disadvantages of using a larger brush. Other than better water retention (depending on hair grade also) and greater surface area, what are the other aspects that I'm missing? I'm new to wetshaving (just over 6 months), but am thoroughly enjoying my Merkur 34C and my little Vulfix Pure Badger that i picked up for 25 bucks.

I've just been looking to pick up another brush for fun. Im looking at a Mühle Silvertip Extra Large Fibre, and a Vulfix Extra Large super badger. I don't think I want to splurge on a Kent extra large (over $200), and the above are a little cheaper.
Also if anyone has any other recommendations for a quality brush around 100 bucks, I would be very grateful for any tips!
Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
I just received a chubby 3 today but haven't used it yet. I did have a 28mm Shavemac and found that the two biggest advantages were in the handle and softness. I have big hands and I found the bigger handle fit my need there. However, the softness of that bigger knot compared to the same brush in 23mm was night and day. It was so incredibly soft...an absolute treat to use.

My big one is an Omega pro 49. Pretty large (27/65), lots of backbone, and soft tips. Everyone should try the 48/49 at least once. And for 10 bucks, why not?

Just my 2 cents...I don't personally see any advantage with larger brushes. I don't have huge hands, so that is not an issue for me. Using brushes with knots from 17mm to 20mm in diameter, I get all the lather I can use for 3 passes. I used to own a Chubby 3, a Kent BK12 and several other "big" brushes and found that all I got was lather from my chest to my forehead. Simpsons has some great values in the smaller sized brushes. Saville Row has also has some great brushes under $100. I have a SR 3118 and it is a fantastic brush with wonderfully soft tips....YMMV

BIG brushes are more of a "guy thing" than something practical.

Sure they are a lot of fun to use but I find that my bigger brushes do a lot more sitting than lathering.

The more comfortable ones are the more "human sized" ones.

BUT....

It is nice to have a few brushes it takes two hands to handle :001_smile

proxy.php

I love big brushes. large surface coverage, eats up soaps for breakfast and if you get a good one, they are ultra soft (see below) :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's helpful for people who have large faces.

For me, variety is the spice of life, and sometimes you just feel like using this brush or that one.
I don't think there is any specific benefit to using a larger or smaller brush, just the enjoyment you might personally get from them.

I never go beyond 20mm knot. This size holds more than enough for three full passes so any bigger means I have to use more product, which then goes to waste as I would end up washing atleast two passes worth down the drain.

I use a 20mm Whipped Dog silvertip, 18mm Simpson Commodore (which is very dense so hold a LOT of lather!) and a Semogue 1305 boar. I actually find the Whipped Dog slightly too big but it's really nice so I have kept it in the rotation.

I've never understood this one either. My first brush, even before I switched from cartridges to DE, was a Wilkinson Sword $5 Walmart brush (which I would guess is 20mm or less). From there I went to my first badger brush, a 24mm Pure, and while I enjoyed the badger hair, I was pretty annoyed with the bigger knot; 24mm was just too big. So for my next purchase, I went with a Simpsons Duke 1 (19mm knot) in best, and a Wee Scot (14mm). I love the Duke, it's a very nice brush, but I've come to think of even 19mm as bigger than it needs to be, heh. I find myself now using the Wee Scot exclusively, because it just feels like the right size (and I have pretty big hands with fat fingers, too!) and holds enough lather for at least 4 passes every day.

I have two brushes now, and another one on the way. A H.I.S. brush (which is huge), and a Wee Scot (which is...you know). The H.I.S. is so soft and when you splay it out it massages your face in a way that no small brush can (but it has incredible backbone, which gives it control - but I still manage to get lather everywhere). It feels great, but I like the Wee Scot just as much; they're so different. I have a Simpsons Chubby 1 on the way, which I think will add to the variety and fill the 'medium' size category. Big brushes just FEEL good. The H.I.S. is synthetic, and the softest brush on the face of the earth; for $32 it's worth a try to see what the big brush thing is all about.
As far as 'using too much product' with a big brush; who are we kidding? The faster you use it up, the quicker you can try something new ;-)

Top Bottom