What's new

Stainless vs. Carbon Steel

I just received a straight razor for my own personal use from a source first called to my attention by B&B member, Ignatz. This razor is new-from-old-stock, and from the information I have, it is from the 1920s or 1930s. It's obviously never been used, and therefore needs a hone.

My first question is this: Is this more likely to be carbon or stainless steel? How do I tell the difference? Is there a way to tell the difference?

Second: How much can I expect to pay for having it honed?

Third: The blade is in beautiful condition, and even after all these years still shaves the hair off my arm. However, the scales are celluloid, and in the future, should I like the razor, I might like to have the scales replaced with simple wood scales. How much might this set me back? (I realize there might be a wide variance on this depending on the work.)

As always, thanks for your help!

Here's what I know (though it's not much). Chances are good that it's carbon steel. Most of the razors from that era are. You can tell the difference by markings, including "stainless," or "inox." From what I understand, the earlier the razor (yours included) stainless would have been enough of a selling point that it would be on there somewhere. You could usually tell by the tarnish, but since it's NOS, there's probably some oil coating it and there probably isn't any tarnish. I'm sure that there are other ways to tell, but those are the big ones.

Honing seems to go for around $20US.

I haven't a clue as to the scales question, and I defer to those with greater knowledge.

It is most likely carbon steel at that age, but knowing the brand name and model would help a lot.

Honing ranges from Free to about $20 (plus shipping both ways) depending on who does it. Scales range from about $15 for plastic DIY kits and goes up from there.

If you send it my way I'll hone it for free, but shipping from Korea may be a little crazy with respect to time and cost. PM me if you're interested.

Stainless wasn't used in razors until well after WWll ended and razors were begining to really lose favor by then so there really aren't alot of them floating around. Mostly the new Dovo's make up most of the stainless ones in existance.Usually stainless will be marked but not always.

Gents,
Thanks for the information. It seems I'll need to start reading up on caring for a carbon steel blade.

Don,
Where in Ohio are you? I'll be home just before Christmas and will be staying near Cincinnati. I'd love to take you up on your honing offer. Just send me a pm with your fee and address, and I'll drop it in the mail sometime after Christmas.

Cheers!

Don,
Where in Ohio are you? I'll be home just before Christmas and will be staying near Cincinnati. I'd love to take you up on your honing offer. Just send me a pm with your fee and address, and I'll drop it in the mail sometime after Christmas.

Cheers!

No fee just the cost of postage, Just send me a PM When your in I am up by Cleveland

Custom scales go for $35 to $50 for fairly basic scales and the sky's the limit.

I highly suggest talking to Joe Chandler - I've had several razors rescaled by him and have been very pleased with the results.

Top Bottom