What's new

Motorcycle Boots

I have been riding with my Redwing 8" steel toe work boot for a few years now, great boots very nice leather with lots of support. I had ankle surgery last February and was worried about the support when I got back on the bike this past spring, the boots helped out a lot.

Sorry, I see you already wear a full face helmet, your reply must have come in just prior to mine.

I'm primarily a sport bike rider but wear full gear nonetheless when riding my cruiser. It's funny how helmets are fully accepted when riding sport bikes or touring bikes, but not with cruisers. I know they are jealous of my head gear when they are on the highway with a hankerchief around their face.

This is my first cruiser in a long time. My last few bikes were a daytona 675, an RC51, a TL1000r, and a YZF R6. I needed something a bit more comfortable since I only but like 1000 miles on the Daytona in the year that I owned it. I'm planning on trying to find a used Speed Triple some time after I buy a house though. I like my speed, I'm just getting old (and I'm not even 31 yet :( )

I usually wear steel-toed uniform work boots, which have the added benefit of being lightly insulated. You could probably get away with wearing them at the office with khakis - they are certainly comfortable enough - or like others have said, just change shoes at work.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
As a MSF rider coach here are a few things that we teach to look for in a boot.

Sturdy construction ie leather or equivalent
Over the ankle.
Low or no heel.
A sole that will grip the pavement.

As a MSF rider coach here are a few things that we teach to look for in a boot.

Sturdy construction ie leather or equivalent
Over the ankle.
Low or no heel.
A sole that will grip the pavement.

You forgot oil resistant soles. What I learned in both basic and advanced MSF classes.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's hard to go wrong with a pair of strap boots.
Either the traditional ring type shown below, or those that substitute the ring with the shield logo.
They come in various throat lengths from just above ankle to just below knee, and the straps are easily hidden by proper length pants.
They have oil resistant soles, a low heel, and grip type pads that do grab when you need them to, but don't when your just walking about.
Moreover, they generally don't have the aggressive "hiking boot style" treads on the sole, which makes it easier to walk around on a wide variety of work floor surfaces.
As easy to walk on steel grating as it is on tile flooring.

$draft_lens19118824module156889148photo_1328892569a_a_.jpg

Last edited:
I used to wear cowhide leather, cowboy boots, with very rugged soles. They were called Civil War boots...straps + ring, square toe, etc. I think other posters call them strap boots...they look alike. Very heavy leather....no sandals...you don't want to maim your feet, lose toes, get a bad case of concrete rash.

My motorcycles are kick start only....one is a big British twin..a '67 Matchless 750cc...Scrambler...the other is a '78 Yamaha SR 500....has a big single cylinder. I use cowboy type boots on them as occasionally the kick starter lever will...kick back. If I don't have leather protecting my calf I can (and have) ended up with bloody gouge in my leg. Also the sole is beefed up...important if your kicking over a large displacement twin or big single. Try kicking over one of these with just a sneaker on and wow...does your instep hurt...sometimes for a couple of days.

Don't ask me how I know. I just do...Ok ! :biggrin1:

My 500cc single cylinder can be especially lethal...this thing has some kick. But most motorcycles are not kickstart anymore.

My bikes are pretty elementary...old fashioned motorcycles, just with the essentials and they both vibrate...a lot. I think it's time that I bought one of those new fangled motorcycles with all the works...electric start, balance shafts.

Last edited:
I would recommend purpose-built, high-top motorcycle boots myself. I've been down before and they've always kept my ankles and feet well-protected. For what you'd spend on those ICONs, maybe look at something waterproof. For work shoes, I would keep a pair at my desk. That's what I do with my work boots.

Top Bottom