What's new

Oops... I blew up a Krona

Well, in my effort to clean up a nice Krona...disaster. So, I thought I would boil it. Knowing the handle was plastic, I just submerged the head in a pan... below the plastic. 3 minutes was my goal. At 2min. 30sec. everything seemed fine. At 2min. 50sec. I thought I smelled something funny. The next thing I know...kablewy...It kind of sprung apart and fell over. I rescued it with tongs ASAP. As you can see it was too late. Heat transferred up the spindle, melted the plastic and broke something inside.
Please laugh with me... not at me.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I wouldn't attempt to shave with it now!.
When I first started acquiring and using old razors I boiled them. Then I stopped doing it; My face hasn't rotted off, so I don't think it is really necessary.

Agreed. Any bug that can withstand scrubbing bubbles is just going to luxuriate in a balmy boiling cauldron.

But thanks for the post. We should start a sticky on razor reconditioning disasters, so we can learn from our collective stupidity.

I was told that 0000 steel wool was good for chrome. Well it is okay for a 1970 Schwinn rim, but not an old Gillette. Made it shiney...if you looked at it at arm's length...but not up close and personal.

V

VR6ofpain

Hey I killed a MINT Schick Injector by boiling it. Oh well, left me with only my DE's to play with. It was probably the right decision!

you know its times like these that make me think of aquiring some Barbacide and one of their nice little containers....$31.45 + tax

+1. Get another one soon. Never be without a Krona. :shaving:

I'm sad to say I actually cooked four nice Krona's. It wasn't a week later I got the one on the left in a lot. It has a grey handle and weighs at least double what my others weigh. They do shave very nicely.

proxy.php

personaly, i would check if the mechanism is damaged, and remove the plastic cover from the handle, see if it can be replaced with a wood or alternative plastic piece,

Top Bottom