What's new

What blade for a Merkur Slant?

I am using slants exclusively now. I have a gold slant that I was using, but just recently got a Barberpole slant (39c). I have been using Wilkinson Sword Gold 5 for a while since I picked up 2 boxes years ago ordered from a shop in England. I have used Feather, Derby, Merkur, but that was a while ago. Got the itch to collect others.

Here are ones I'm thinking of ordering:

Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green Permasharp (India)
Perma-Sharp
Bluebird

Yes, I know YMMV, but still, I'm looking for recommendations/anecdotes. What are you using in your slant, including any bakelite slants.

Thanks for your help.

They made a poll before and favorites were Feather and Derbys.

I still did not try none of them.

I think in some terms slants are opposite of those aggresive open combs (I mean Muhle R41 wich I also like very much), because they are NOT picky about blades. Most blades performs well in a my slant bar 37c.

My preferred until now in 37c are Gillette indian black because of smoothness.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/76609-Your-favorite-blade-in-Merkur-Slant

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/23826-Favorite-Blade-with-Merkur-Slant

+1 edw's comment: a Slant seems to bring out the best in just about any blade, even the ones you don't like in other razors. Since I know Feathers are GREAT in a Slant, I'd think the Silver Blues would be equally nice (being another very sharp blade). But all those you listed as interesting would probably work well also.

The Rapira super stainless are working really well for me. The prices are good too, 400 for $32 delivered from an ebay seller.

Last edited:
Astra SP or Polsilver SI are my choices for my 37C/37G/39C razors. The slants are intrinsically more accommodating to blade variations compared to other CC and OC razors ... in my opinion. Good luck!

I like personna lab/med in the slant. Partly because the lack of wax spots makes getting the blade to align right a bit easier.

I agree with previous posts about slants bringing out the best in just about any blade -- I haven't had a bad blade-slant combo shave yet. Having said that, I really like shaving with Feathers in my Hoffritz -- I will usually not need to shave for another 48 hours though, and that's kind of a drag for me 'cuz I like shaving...

I pretty much concur. A slant seems to give me a good shave with just about any blade.
Although, I really didn't care for Derby blades in my slant.

For me:
Feather
KAI
Bolzano
Personna IP Red
were my favs

I would recommend trying a sample blade bundle from one of the supporting vendors and see what suits your face the best.
Good luck and HTH

Top Bottom