What's new

Your view: Is it worth using pre shave oils / creams or not?

Pre shave oils and creams - good, ok or don't bother?

• I use pre-shave oils and find that it really improves my shaves

• I use pre-shave oils and find that it makes a marginal improvement to my shaves

• I use pre-shave oils and find that it makes no improvement to my shaves

• I use pre-shave creams and find that it really improves my shaves

• I use pre-shave creams and find that it makes a marginal improvement to my shaves

• I use pre-shave creams and find that it makes no improvement to my shaves

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've read varying views here on the benefits of pre shave oils and pre shave creams. Some think they are worthwhile, others regard them as a waste of time and money. I haven't made up my mind yet, but thought it could be useful to check the numbers. Sorry if this has been done before.

Cheers

Jeremy

Tried 'em, didn't see a benefit. I think most guys will tell you that if your prep is up to snuff, preshave products are completely unnecessary.

I've never tried them. For a preshave, I have been happy using a soap that suds well to keep the stubble warm and soft. Currently it is L'Occitane's verbena soap, but anything that produces a rich lather works.

I've only tried an oil, and only one, but it didn't do much for me. Now, someone here recently posted a thread commenting on how they found a big improvement only if it was left on the skin for a couple of minutes before shaving. I've never actually tried that, so I may have to.

-Mo

is that the pre-shave oil seems to have ruined my brush.

The first non-foam-in-a-can products i bought were from The Art of Shaving. In 2000, I picked up a brush, pre-shave oil, shaving cream, and shaving balm from one of their only stores in NYC. I only stuck with AOS products for about 2 years, but the oil seemed to last forever. I had been using it a long time. I now notice that the brush can hardly build a lather. It seems gunked up, as much as I clean it. I've mentioned before on here, I now just use it a a talc brush, for which it works fine. Luckily, I own a decent DOVO Silvertip brush, and have a BK4 (actually, BLK4) on the way.

is that the pre-shave oil seems to have ruined my brush.

I don't know how much you've looked into brush cleaning methods, but I expect your brush can be cleaned, using the right method. Just a basic shampooing probably isn't going to do it, though, as you've clearly found. Have you tried soaking in borax solution?

-Mo

I've tried both oils and creams. Didn't find that much help with the oil, maybe a little smoother depending on your cream/soap you're using. For what ever reason, I find the Proraso pre/post to work well with the Proraso cream, but not really much difference if any for anything else. I agree with castlecraver that if your prep is good then you don't need it. If you don't have time for the hot towel or shower before you shave then if find the most(although still marginal) benifit. Might be because I'm not focusing as much either with the soap/cream to water ratio and all that.

I'm still a newbie, but from my limited experience, I would have to lean towards putting a little lather on, rubbing it into your face with your fingers, leave it sit for 30 seconds to a minute and then apply the lather with the brush. I find this to be of more benifit than any 'pre' type product I've used. This has been mentioned by more experienced members/wet shavers than myself and I was pleasantly surprized at how well it worked. Of course there's the famed Kyle method as well. Some add the lather before the hot towel.

I've even tried a suggestion on here to use a combination of olive oil, caster oil, (50/50 between these two or a little more olive oil for moisture) a couple of drops of glycerin and a little fragrence of your choice. That worked as well as any more expensive 'pre' products I've tried, but still not as good as just using lather.

Sorry for the long post. This was something I was thinking about on the weekend. Must be a 'Jeremy' thing again. :lol:

I've tried both oils and creams. Didn't find that much help with the oil, maybe a little smoother depending on your cream/soap you're using. For what ever reason, I find the Proraso pre/post to work well with the Proraso cream, but not really much difference if any for anything else. I agree with castlecraver that if your prep is good then you don't need it. If you don't have time for the hot towel or shower before you shave then if find the most(although still marginal) benifit. Might be because I'm not focusing as much either with the soap/cream to water ratio and all that.

I'm still a newbie, but from my limited experience, I would have to lean towards putting a little lather on, rubbing it into your face with your fingers, leave it sit for 30 seconds to a minute and then apply the lather with the brush. I find this to be of more benifit than any 'pre' type product I've used. This has been mentioned by more experienced members/wet shavers than myself and I was pleasantly surprized at how well it worked. Of course there's the famed Kyle method as well. Some add the lather before the hot towel.

I've even tried a suggestion on here to use a combination of olive oil, caster oil, (50/50 between these two or a little more olive oil for moisture) a couple of drops of glycerin and a little fragrence of your choice. That worked as well as any more expensive 'pre' products I've tried, but still not as good as just using lather.

Sorry for the long post. This was something I was thinking about on the weekend. Must be a 'Jeremy' thing again. :lol:

The 'home made' pre shave suggestion was taken from a member that researched the AOS preshave oil and it was similar to that. Maybe a couple of changes.

Does oil improve the shave? No, the shave is exactly the same.

What a good oil (T&H and REN for example) will do for me is protect my skin more from the blade than if I don't use the oil. I don't use oil often, but if my face feels a little raw or dry, I'll put oil on before the lather.

It's interesting that some soaps sit well with the oil whist others don't.

I don't use oil by itself for a shave although some do very successfully.

I think Jerimiah has a point. I suspect that much of the benefit of a preshave product could be gained just using lather. And letting lather sit on your face DOES help, in my experience. My usually routine is that after I get out of the shower I lather up, then leave the lather on my face, while I comb the tangles out of my care, and whatnot. Gives it thirty seconds to a minutes to sit there, before I actually start shaving (plus the thirty seconds or so while I am building the lather on my face). I've found this makes a noticeable difference. I would encourage giving it a try.

-Mo

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I think Jerimiah has a point. I suspect that much of the benefit of a preshave product could be gained just using lather. And letting lather sit on your face DOES help, in my experience. My usually routine is that after I get out of the shower I lather up, then leave the lather on my face, while I comb the tangles out of my care, and whatnot. Gives it thirty seconds to a minutes to sit there, before I actually start shaving (plus the thirty seconds or so while I am building the lather on my face). I've found this makes a noticeable difference. I would encourage giving it a try.

-Mo

I think you nailed it Mo. I have tried several pre-shave oils and creams. The oils only improve my shave when I am in a hurry and don't want to do a prep. It is better than no prep at all, but probably not as good as taking the time to do it right.

Creams on the other hand are a regular part of my pre-shave prep. My favorite is Santa Maria Novella pre-shave cream, but I find any shave cream, (not necessarily pre-shave), rubbed in while setting up, showering, or making lather improves the quality of my shave.

I use a pre-shave oil in the shower, after washing my face. It works better than conditioner. After the first cream and hot towel the oil is gone, so it does not gum up the razor.

I only notice a difference on my neck, the rest of my face was fine anyway. On my neck though I really notice a difference.

I've found that T&H oil makes a difference during the winter months as far as the moisture retained by my skin. I don't use oil during the other seasons - just winter, but I have found it makes a positive difference then.

The only pre-shave product that still gets some use in my den is Proraso Pre/Post. Mainly I will use it simply because I enjoy the tingle, however, it does help marginally when I am suffering from dry, chapped, or wind-burned skin.

Honestly, the #1 pre-shave product that I've found is simply using a moisturizer before I go to bed. This leaves my face in great shape and ready for the morning's shave.

I have tried Proraso Pre and Taz's T&H preshave but have had limited success. It seems to me that the best method the time is taken to soften the whiskers with hot water via a shower. Sometimes I have to shave without a shower so I use hot water and Neutrogena's Pre-shave scrub- works just fine.

Daniel

Top Bottom