What's new

Edwin Jagger Chrome Chatsworth Safety Razor VS. EJ DE89L Safety Razor

Looking to buy another safety razor and can't decide between the Edwin Jackson Chatsworth or the DE89L. I like razors a bit on the heavy side. Anyone have any experience with either of these or both? I would really appreciate any information or advice to help me choose. Thanks! :thumbup:

I have no experience with the Chatsworth but the DE89L is probably my favorite razor ATM. It wasn't my first or most recent razor acquisition but I find myself using it more than anything else I have. I too like a heavier razor and the 89 has a nice heft to it. Hopefully someone who's used both can give a nice comparison. If all else fails you can always buy both of them :yesnod:

If you like heavy, you'll like the Chatsworth. I have a Chatsworth Barley, and its one of my most beautiful razors. Quality-wise, you can't really go wrong with any Edwin Jaggar product. The Chatsworth just puts the center of mass down in the handle where I like it, and has a handle long enough that its even comfortable in wet hands, especially the Barley.

Chatsworth is the high end luxury version of the EJ line. The shaving head probably starts out the same but receives some extra inspection, polishing and plating.
As crfcom said, the Chatsworth is heavier and balance farther down on the handle.
I also have a Barley and it is no doubt the most beautiful razor I own. Super smooth shave too.

Attachments

• $barley.jpg
    $barley.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 231
The difference is in how you are going to feel using each one.

The Chatsworth is a very attractive razor if you want something that gives you visual pleasure as well as a good shave it is a nice choice

Chatsworth is the high end luxury version of the EJ line. The shaving head probably starts out the same but receives some extra inspection, polishing and plating.
As crfcom said, the Chatsworth is heavier and balance farther down on the handle.
I also have a Barley and it is no doubt the most beautiful razor I own. Super smooth shave too.
My 1908 Big Boy is my closest shaving and most loved razor.I have a dozen razors,but my EJ Chatsworth Barleycorn is #2 for close shaving,and is the only modern production razor I own.Absolutely top drawer construction,and with the barleycorn pattern it's a real "sure-grip" shave...

It seems like the Chatsworth is what you are looking for; heavier, well-built, beautiful and a fine shaver. Good luck.

yes but I want people's opinions vs Atlas or Ikon or Tradere or something else.
Well, you say you like razors on the heavy side. Okay.

But why not buy something like a DE89BA11 (that's the DE89 w/barley handle - it's attractive, and rather reasonably priced for what it is). Use it for a while. If you like it and decide it's balanced well for you, great.

If not, you can always buy a heavier, stainless steel replacement handle from Ikon or Weber or whomever, and either keep the factory handle around as a spare, or sell it quite easily and recoup some of the expense of the replacement handle.

I'm not trying to steer you away from buying the Chatsworth. Just offering another option to consider, is all.

Top Bottom