What's new

A question about grip

I've been studying Chimensch's 30th Anniversary Shaving Video and have a question about his technique and grip. I notice that on his first pass (WTG) when shaving e.g., his right cheek, he holds the razor with his left hand with the toe of the razor pointed toward his lips while using his right hand to stretch his skin.

This seems very awkward to me when I try it. In particular, having the toe of the razor pointed toward his lips. When I shave the same spot, it feels more natural to hold the razor in my left hand with the toe pointed toward my ear.

He's obviously been at it a long time and is darned good at it. Do others hold the razor in the same way he does? Is there an advantage to doing it this way? Even more, is the way that I do it either wrong or harder?

Thanks.

OK, no responses so perhaps my description wasn't adequate. I've attached a photo that shows the hand position in question. As I said, this seems awkward to me. Do others hold the razor in the same way? Is there an advantage (control, delicacy, touch, etc) to doing it this way?

$grip.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I haven't but I may- holding it the other way I have a hard time seeing where my sideburns are.

Shaving a cheek with the opposite hand with the toe pointed towards the lips does seem awkward.

It does to me also. I've tried it without a razor (in front of a mirror holding my hand and face in the required position) and it really feels odd. Further, if you watch the video where he's shaving his neck using the same technique he's got his head turned to the right really far and is looking at his neck down across his cheek out of the very corner of his eye.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who shaves this way but think it's not for me. He obviously makes it work and his strokes are very controlled and authoritative. I can't help but wonder whether that technique felt natural to him or if it's something he taught himself and, if so, for what reason.

i don't appreciate that technique either, but it works for him obviously… i t's a nice video but other that the use of a sponge, i didn't get much from it…

Top Bottom