What's new

How many straights do you use?

Until yesterday 7, now one Bartmann has found a new home in France. Coming down from 30+ last year. Since I found the Feather DX and the Cobra Classic I'm spoiled by the superb shaves I get and my straights don't see much use anymore. I'll probably keep 2 and let others enjoy the rest.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think I have about 13 honed up, 5 Kamisori and 7 western and 1 Feather AC. All are in rotation, but the Kamisori get picked 99% of the time.
Hey Kent, you need to get into fountain pens- the new custom title isn't long enough :001_smile

To the OP- I am only using one, a Genco I got from Larry at whippeddog. I have a Barber's Rattler and film I received from CountZer0. I wont start using that, however, until I have my shaving technique down. I do not want to throw too many variable into the mix yet.

5... My Dove Bismarck, Dubl Duck Goldedge, Otto Fromm and by newly acquired Monopol Stainless are in rotation. My Wade & Butcher needs a new bevel that I can't seem get off the ground so, I'm sending it to a pro.

Last edited:
I will have 6 as soon as the new one arrives, 5 shave-ready, one given to my by my grandfather that's needs refurb. I like to stick with 2 in rotation and the rest oiled up.

I have 31 straights that I use one per day when I shave (mostly Le Grelot and Thiers Isssard). I haven't used a hone in forever. Kinda conveient and it became my defacto cut off number. If my straights hold up like Docs I may not hone or touchup for 5 years.

-Dovo Best Quality 5/8"
-Dubl Duck Dwarf 5/8"
-Henckels #401 5/8"
-Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 6/8"
-Wapi 5/8"
-Omor Solingen 6/8"
-Wade & Butcher half-hollow 6/8"
-Joseph Rodgers 6/8"
-Boker "Unrivalled" 5/8"
-Alexander Coppel "AlCoSo" Solingen 6/8"
-D.H. Lory "Clea-Shave" Solingen 5/8"
-Theo A. Kochs "Fairfax" Solingen 5/8"
-Douglas Cutlery "Timeless M" 6/8" Wedge

And bringing up the rear are 2 GD's that I got to practice honing with!

13 + a Pacosori

I mostly rotate between a 8/8 Brian Brown, a 5/8 Thiers Issard (modern), and my 7/8 CDB&Co wedge.

Occasionally I cycle through the rest:
5/8:
Thiers Issard Eagle (modern)
Thiers Issard Le Dandy (Vintage)
Wostenholm Conqueror
Le Grelot (vintage)
6/8:
Imperial
FWEngels
Hillbilly Custom
7/8:
Modded Gold Dollar x 2
Hillbilly "Sofa King" custom
Hillbilly Wedge

4 and I use one for the entire week, touch it up and put it back in the rack for the next one.

5/8 Dovo Natural round tip
6/8 Union Cutlery Expert Barber 400 square tip
4/8 Shumate #018 round tip
5/8 Clover Brand Red Man square tip

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
hey kent, you need to get into fountain pens- the new custom title isn't long enough :001_smile

to the op- i am only using one, a genco i got from larry at whippeddog. I have a barber's rattler and film i received from countzer0. I wont start using that, however, until i have my shaving technique down. I do not want to throw too many variable into the mix yet.

lol

14 in the shaving rotation, with 2 more waiting on scales and pinning. Also fairly new to things, acquiring razors quickly to say the least.

Top Bottom