What's new

AoS Straight Razor, Dull?

I bought a $200 carbon steel straight razor, and read the insert that said it was ready to go, and didn't even need stropping until the second or 3rd shave -- and had a hell of a time trying to cut the hair on my face. I looked up a sharpness test, discovered HHT, tried it, and failed. Then I went and got a trust Feather blade for my DE, and unwrapped it and I was shocked to see how easily it made the hair twixt my fingers disappear where I cleaved it.

Have I been jipped once again by sales people? It was one of their more expensive models too. How can I remedy this? I have no experience sharpening blades.

Almost no brand new commercial straight razors come shave ready, but they all say they are. Different standards I guess. All new razors will need to be honed. I'm not surprised that the staff told you it was shave ready.

Yeah, I have 2 new razors, a Dovo and a Giesen & Forsthoff. They both said that they were "shave ready" from the factory, but neither of them really were. The G+F would barely even cut arm hair!! :sneaky2:

Needless to say, I "voided" the warranty & hones them up myself on my Coticule....much better!! :thumbup:

I bought a $200 carbon steel straight razor, and read the insert that said it was ready to go, and didn't even need stropping until the second or 3rd shave -- and had a hell of a time trying to cut the hair on my face. I looked up a sharpness test, discovered HHT, tried it, and failed. Then I went and got a trust Feather blade for my DE, and unwrapped it and I was shocked to see how easily it made the hair twixt my fingers disappear where I cleaved it.

Have I been jipped once again by sales people? It was one of their more expensive models too. How can I remedy this? I have no experience sharpening blades.

a feather de blade is gonna probably be much sharper than a AOS straight from the store. you weren't "jipped", they don't really know any better.. now if you wanted a mach3 or a fusion that gyrated and had a flashlight, you would be golden with their help…

As above. Needs honing.

TI make a whoo-haa about actually properly honing their high end razors, but yours needs to visit a rock

Top Bottom