What's new

Shavettes I think I'm hooked!

I've mainly used DE safety razors and dabbled for a couple of years in traditional straight razors but recently I purchased a Bluebeard's Revenge shavette off Amazon and absolutely love it. The first shave was an absolute nightmare........I made the incorrect assumption that the technique is the same as a regular straight. The shavette is not quite as forgiving as my traditional straight, the touch is definitely lighter and I tend to make smaller passes due to the smaller cutting area.

I'm now going to look at buying a couple of others. I like the look of the Parker all stainless steel model so that's on order but wondered if you guys who also enjoy shavettes have any recommendations. I still enjoy my straight razor but with the shavette I don't have the hassle of stropping and honing. Just snap a DE and shave and then throw away...easy.

Attachments

• 43.6 KB · Views: 180
  • $Parker 31R.jpg
    $Parker 31R.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 176
Any of the Parker's are nice shavettes, but the best of the disposables are the Feather's and the Kai's. The Feather's and the Kai's will match the quality of any regular straight.

I love shavettes. I have 11 of them. For me, the one that feels and shaves most like a true straight is a vintage Weck Sextoblade. You can find them on the bay for about $10. The Parkers are nice too, but as noted above the technique is quite different.

Lots of members were writing good things about new Feather SS, it's supposed to be more forgiving than the older RG or DX models. Feathers ar as good as but cost as much as a real str8

I love shavettes. I have 11 of them. For me, the one that feels and shaves most like a true straight is a vintage Weck Sextoblade. You can find them on the bay for about $10. The Parkers are nice too, but as noted above the technique is quite different.

+1
Thanks to theVez, I have a Weck Sextoblade, too. In fact, I shaved with it this morning.

That's worth knowing lukam, I guess that forces you down a particular path where you have to buy the blades from the same company who makes the razor.....now which other famous shaving brand does this? :) I guess what I like about the humble DE blades are their cheapness, reliability and compatibility. Hard to beat that. I do however see the Feather series as rather classy and the longer blades gives you a shave more similar to a traditional straight razor. With shavettes and DE's you got to watch for those edges.

There are Feather blades, KAI and Dorco (Korean) as far as I know. There are different types of each, depending how much of the blade do you want to stick out of the head of the shavette. If you're interested in comparing these blades with DE blades, they are equally sharp but stiffer.. I think the price is ~1,5$ per blade

Glad you're enjoying the shavette experience, me too. Have yet to cut myself though, probably because there is no un-training to do with other razor types.

You don't necessarily have to buy the same blades as the brand of the shavette. I only have/use an Anthony Gold shavette, but I'm using Lord's razor blades right now.

To be honest, I haven't seen either of those brand names around the board yet, but they get the job done. I only do one blade per shave then toss em seeing as they're super cheap and I have really thick hair.

I have the Parker shavette and it works great. I still prefer the traditional straight, but I know where you're coming from about the stropping and honing. I've pretty much got the honing down but I'm still struggling with stropping.

I used my Dovo Shevette this moring and go a very very nice shave out of it.
Only problem was the older Dorco blade I had in it, the shave would have gone even better with a fresher blade.
But it does take a slightly defferent angle then Str8 razors much flatter and with only the wieght of the razor to get good results, I use all 3, DE's, Str8's, Shavettes, love them all!

tinkersd

I like my Sextoblade.
Yeah, if you want to use a shavette, I'd suggest the Weck Sextoblade. It uses the longer less flexible single edge blade by Personna or Fromm and used ones can be bought for cheap on ebay. Feels more like a straight...but not quite. I still prefer my straights...less dangerous. The DE blade shavettes are way unforgiving for my taste. I've tried the CJB that is a Feather RG clone and it works better but the blades are very expensive. I get the same results or better with a Schick injector with Ted Pella single edge injector blades.

Top Bottom