What's new

Do you use hair tonic?

What do you put in your hair? Hair tonic?

• Hair tonic ... I'm a daily user

• Hair tonic ... occasionally, or other stuff sometimes

• Modern styling products

• Nothin' at all!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Okay guys, let's see what we prefer when it comes to our shaggy manes ... do you use hair tonic? Or are you more into the modern styling products? Or do you use nothing on top except the odd hat?

Fess up, and comment on why you do what you do ...

I've beeen looking for a satisfactory hair product for a while now. I wear my hair in a classic part (sort of Pierce Brosnan-type Bond, except not near as good-looking). I'm 26, and want something with just a little bit of hold, while not being either stiff (like wax) or greasy looking (like gel). Can anyone recommend something like this? I was looking at the T&H C.A.R. cream, but didn't know if that would be too stiff. Thanks!

been experimenting with a few different things lately.

Combo of either
1. Brylcreem, VO5 or oil-based hair tonic (applied first before hot air treatment) then
2. some sort of gel / holding product to style.
Just bought some Garnier Fructis product yesterday that has mucho potential.

Using dry texturing pastes (Got2be, l'Oreal Dirty Clean) of lately. These things contain beeswax and less oil, which seems to be the way to go for my thinning hair.

This is kinda sad, I hear about hair tonic here all the time, but I don't actually know what it is.

I use modern products, my girlfriend is a hairdresser and she decides what haircut I have, when it's cut, what shampoo I use and what products I use. It's useless to fight it.

I use nothing but Pashana hair tonic. I have 6 different bottles of the stuff and love em all. My favourite is the Pashana Original Brilliantine.

I use all of the above. Pashana Tonics, Trumpers, T&H and American Crew. Of course, not at the same time.

Before I shaved my head I only used hair spray for the longest time and used so much to where it was like I was wearing a helmet. When my hair started to thin, I gave up on any product other than shampoo and conditioner. Now I spend even less since my hair budget is the same as my shaving budget :biggrin:

I never really knew what tonics or creams were and I was not a big gel fan, so I find it interesting how much I was influenced by marketing at the time.

I use Jeris tonic here and there, but most of the time its Groom N Clean for me. Good hold, smells great, and washes out easy. :thumbup: I used American Crew Pomade for years and still do on occasion, but the Groom N Clean is way cheaper and works as well.

I've beeen looking for a satisfactory hair product for a while now. I wear my hair in a classic part (sort of Pierce Brosnan-type Bond, except not near as good-looking). I'm 26, and want something with just a little bit of hold, while not being either stiff (like wax) or greasy looking (like gel). Can anyone recommend something like this? I was looking at the T&H C.A.R. cream, but didn't know if that would be too stiff. Thanks!

I've been a slick-backed "pachuco" since way back when, so I have always been in your same quandry. Anyhow, It is difficult to find a solid pomade that is both of those things and one your barber wont hate you for. :a7: However, after years of searching I have kind of narrowed it down to the following options.

1. Sweet Georgia Brown Purple (holds like a grease, leaves hair shiny, and is easy to wash out, nice rose scent)
2. Layrite Pomade (Holds better than a gel, washes out super super easy, smells like vanilla)
3. American Crew (The Middle of Layrite and Sweet Georgia Brown, washes out easy, nice masculine musky scent).

Just like TimmyBoston, I haven't the faintest idea what hair tonic actually is. It always sounded to me like some sort of snake oil for curing baldness. I use American Crew "classic wax" to style; it has a pretty good hold and doesn't look slick at all.

This is kinda sad, I hear about hair tonic here all the time, but I don't actually know what it is.

I use modern products, my girlfriend is a hairdresser and she decides what haircut I have, when it's cut, what shampoo I use and what products I use. It's useless to fight it.

Just like TimmyBoston, I haven't the faintest idea what hair tonic actually is. It always sounded to me like some sort of snake oil for curing baldness. I use American Crew "classic wax" to style; it has a pretty good hold and doesn't look slick at all.

+2...I don't know what the stuff is either or what it is used for...???

I use American Crew styling gel Firm Hold....it smells great, and does what it is supposed to do....have never worn hair tonic ever...like TimmyBoston, I really don't know what it would be used for.

Right now I'm using Pinaud Quinine every day - I've added a little glycerine to mine to give it a little more conditioning effect.

On weekends, the Pinaud is all I generally use - especially when my hair is short.

On work days, I use some Booster lanolin hair cream for extra hold - this is far and away the best hair grooming product I've ever used and the price just can't be beat.

Hair tonic is a grooming product that's designed to condition the hair and scalp - since hair is dead, its really about adding shine/manageability/hold to hair and conditioning the scalp (reducing dryness, flaking, etc...). It also scents the hair - which isn't surprising since hair tonics have been around in one form or another before regular bathing was the norm.

In addition to water, alcohol and fragrance, most hair tonics contain glycerine and/or oil (usually mineral oil). The products with oil will provide more control and shine, but can also give you that greasy/slicked back look if you use too much. The ones with oil are also harder to wash out.

I generally apply hair tonic to damp hair. If I'm using the Booster lanolin as well, I'll put that on after my hair is dry.

Once I use up the Pinaud, I'm going for some of the Pashana (without oil), which gets consistently good review in terms of both scent and performance.

I have tried a bunch of hair products. Most recently...

Brylcreem - Like smell, like the hold, like the price and availability. Love how it makes the hair feel but hate the feel when trying to wash it out. Feels like lanolin in your hair when it gets wet.
American Crew Pomade - Good stuff. Like this when my hair is really short. Too heavy for when my hair gets longer.
AC Fiber - I don't know how anyone can use this stuff. It is like trying to put Play Doh in your hair.
AC Forming Cream - See AC Pomade - about the same but more hold.
AC Styling Gel - Pinaud works equally well and is about 1/10 the price.
Nancy Boy Styling Gel - Pinaud works just as well and is 1/10 the price.
Pinaud Green - This is your basic styling gel. Cheap, plentiful, works awesome. What I use pretty much all the time now.
Pinaud Yellow - Same as green but even stiffer hold. Don't use this one as much as the green.

I am with the other *** is tonic guys above. Don't know what it is or how well it holds. Whenever I have asked, I never get a good answer and can't compare it to the stuff I have used.

Dennis

I am with the other *** is tonic guys above. Don't know what it is or how well it holds. Whenever I have asked, I never get a good answer and can't compare it to the stuff I have used.

Dennis

I came across this description on the use of Hair Tonic:

Americans are concerned with the appearance and cleanliness of their hair. In the medicine cabinet there is a bottle of hair tonic. What is hair tonic? Its main ingredient is petroleum (much like naphtha). This product is not as popular today, having been replaced by gels, mousses, and hair sprays. Hair spray keeps the hair in place like hair tonic may, but doesn't provide the greasy look that hair tonic has.

Our hair is dead, yet advertisers try to sell us tonics and lotions for our hair, to make it look better or "healthier." Americans spend a lot of time caring for these dead cells, not because of their protective or warming abilities, but because of fashion. Hairstyles are a major part of American fashion and are always changing. This was certainly the case in the thirties as well. In those days, men who coated their hair in thin petroleum and combed it down had the stylish and acceptable hair fashion, even though it never moved and it looked greasy for the rest of the day.

To those who pay attention to consumer products and health claims, the word "tonic" has acquired negative medical connotations because it has absolutely no scientific meaning, yet creators of health products have used it to describe products that are supposed to restore the body's health. However, in the 1930s, few people were educated about the medical claims manufacturers made.

Source:http://www.otal.umd.edu/~vg/msf95/ms25/p4-4.html

Top Bottom