What's new

What Hair Products Did You Use Today?

$uppercut.jpg
The pomade is in my hair. Check. I'm looking incredible like a movie star. Check. There's a lot of jealousy going on because of my looking so good. Check.

Today I went with Uppercut Matt Clay. I'm kind of on a clay kick lately, and this stuff is INCREDIBLE! It's a great volume pomade that is nice for giving a normal loose look to your hair. It doesn't have much of a shine, but it's not supposed to.

Having used this pomade for the last couple of days, I can understand why it's so popular. It's great stuff. Has some of the same chemicals as Dax Wave and Groom pomade, which would explain why it has such nice hold.

Price: $14.80 for 2.1 oz.

Washibility: It comes out in a couple of washes. It contains petrolatum and lanolin.

Shine: Slight amount.

Thoughts

I like Uppercut Matt Clay a great deal. I can see myself using it everyday. I bought five different types of clay pomades. I'm not sure how they compare to them. They all go for around $20 per tin, but it doesn't take much to get the desired look. It's still hard for me to get my head wrapped around the idea of no shine. I guess the idea behind that is something to do with balding men or something. Other than that, David DOES NOT UNDERSTAND. Without shine, it makes the hair look unwashed, fake and almost like someone wearing a toupee. That is the one thing I would change, because you're not fooling anyone by wearing a clay. I do like the stuff, but the lack of shine is alien to the world I live in. People's hair always shines. When it doesn't, I'm thinking someone is wearing a toupee, which is alright. i have nothing against wig wearers. It's just not something I would ever do.

View attachment 698450

David here. Today, I switched things up by going with High Life Medium pomade. This is from the Dax family of pomades, and it's a very nice medium with a coconut scent. This is a lighter version of the famous High Life Heavy pomade. It's not as thick as High Life Heavy, but it still has a lot of hold for a medium. The best thing of all is it's not greasy, and it leaves my hair looking natural like I'm not using product at all. I don't want to look like one of those guys that is trying hard to get a certain someone. It's the opposite. They're trying hard to get me. I just want my hair to look on point for my work, and High Life Medium pomade receives David's seal of approval in that respect. It's nice to wear pomade that gives me a look like I'm not using pomade. I'm glad Dax bought out the producer of High Life pomade, because it would have been a tragedy if the guy had stopped producing this fine pomade and put an end to such a quality brand.

Like some of the other pomades in the High Life series, they're similar in terms of the wax and non-greasy look. Here are some of the other splendid pomades in the High Life series:

High Life Heavy
High Life Light
Voodoo Island
Voodoo Brew I
Voodoo Brew II

Price: $9 for 3.5oz tin.

Washibility: High Life Medium pomade laughs at my shampoo. It doesn't come out. I'm not bothered by it. For the gents and ladies that want this beautiful pomade to come out, it;'s going to require two to three washes to get it all out unless you want to go the mineral oil or Aussie 3 Minute Miracle method. I no longer care. David has advanced beyond stressing about pomade removal. He now switches up the heavy and mediums to a light pomade to loosen up the pomade. It works, believe me.

Ingredients: White Microwax, Petrolatum, Emu Oil, Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Avocado Oil, Fragrance.

Value: You get a great deal for the price of this pomade. If this pomade was sold by some of the home brewers, I wouldn't be surprised to see a ridiculous $20 per tin price tag.

--

All in all, High Life Medium is a GREAT pomade for everyday use. It's perfect for everyday grooming to keep your hair styled and looking great. It's nothing like Murray's Superior or Dax Wave and Groom. We're talking about completely different pomade experience with this stuff. It's non greasy, doesn't weigh your hair down, and it's still relatively inexpensive. I love High Life Medium, because it controls my hair perfectly, and it's ideal for me to use in a work setting.

$voodoo.jpg

Today, I went with Voodoo Brew II pomade. This is a heavier version of the High Life Medium pomade I used this week. It''s made from the same company and contains the same ingredients - White Microwax, Petrolatum, Emu Oil, Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Avocado Oil, Fragrance, color. I added two scoops of Voodoo Brew II pomade to my WET hair. It takes more pomade for wet hair than for dry hair, I've noticed. It's not a big deal, because this stuff isn't outrageously expensive like some of the pomades and clays out there.

What is WEIRD about Voodoo Brew II is the fact that it gives me the same volume for my hair as the Uppercut Matt Clay pomade I used this week, but with a medium shine. That's a benefit because it's less expensive at $10 for a tin compared to the $14.80 I paid for the matt clay product. Further, the shine makes my hair look good and not stripped of life and toupee-like.My hair looks completely natural with Voodoo Brew II in it. I don't look like I'm trying hard to impress people or to attract someone. I'm not trying. I just want to look the best I can, and I think this pomade definitely helps me achieve that goal. I don't want to look like a first rate slob like some of my co-workers, who don't wash their hair and don't wear shoes or socks at work when walking around. I need to set myself apart from the field. Having Voodoo Brew II in my hair gives me a very clean cut Ivy league look, especially when I'm wearing my glasses and George Clooney cologne, Green Irish Tweed.

The scent of Voodoo Brew II is vanilla. It's a lot better when in my hair than when I smell it from the can. Initially, I was concerned with having the pomade in my hair because I didn't want to be like a human skunk all day, walking around and having the candy-like scent always there with me.

Voodoo Brew II gives my hair a lot of hold. I went with a side part today. I'm at work, so I can't do something outrageous in terms of hair styles. I honestly cannot tell the difference between the hold of the High Life Medium pomade and the Voodoo Brew II that I'm using today. They're both about the same. I rate Voodoo Brew II as just a little bit stronger, but nothing like Murray's Superior or Murray's Xtra Heavy. Those pomades are in a different category altogether.

Voodoo Brew II is another non-greasy type of pomade, which sets it apart from Murray's and other petroleum base pomades on the market. The High Life series of pomades are what I feel are the best on the market. I love Murray's pomades, but I'm now coming to the conclusion that High Life is superior for my hair type. I like the idea of having pomade in my hair and no one can tell that I'm using anything. With Murray's, you can always tell that something is in your hair due to the greasy look, which is fine. I like the look, but I want to blend in more and not look like I'm desperate and working hard like some people are to look their best.

I like the way that Voodoo Brew II holds my hair up in the front without weighing it down. That's clearly a benefit for me, because I hate to have to slick my hair back or comb it completely down and to the sides due to the product weighing it down too much.

Last edited:
View attachment 698711

Today, I went with Voodoo Brew II pomade. This is a heavier version of the High Life Medium pomade I used this week. It''s made from the same company and contains the same ingredients - White Microwax, Petrolatum, Emu Oil, Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Avocado Oil, Fragrance, color. I added two scoops of Voodoo Brew II pomade to my WET hair. It takes more pomade for wet hair than for dry hair, I've noticed. It's not a big deal, because this stuff isn't outrageously expensive like some of the pomades and clays out there.

What is WEIRD about Voodoo Brew II is the fact that it gives me the same volume for my hair as the Uppercut Matt Clay pomade I used this week, but with a medium shine. That's a benefit because it's less expensive at $10 for a tin compared to the $14.80 I paid for the matt clay product. Further, the shine makes my hair look good and not stripped of life and toupee-like.My hair looks completely natural with Voodoo Brew II in it. I don't look like I'm trying hard to impress people or to attract someone. I'm not trying. I just want to look the best I can, and I think this pomade definitely helps me achieve that goal. I don't want to look like a first rate slob like some of my co-workers, who don't wash their hair and don't wear shoes or socks at work when walking around. I need to set myself apart from the field. Having Voodoo Brew II in my hair gives me a very clean cut Ivy league look, especially when I'm wearing my glasses and George Clooney cologne, Green Irish Tweed.

The scent of Voodoo Brew II is vanilla. It's a lot better when in my hair than when I smell it from the can. Initially, I was concerned with having the pomade in my hair because I didn't want to be like a human skunk all day, walking around and having the candy-like scent always there with me.

Voodoo Brew II gives my hair a lot of hold. I went with a side part today. I'm at work, so I can't do something outrageous in terms of hair styles. I honestly cannot tell the difference between the hold of the High Life Medium pomade and the Voodoo Brew II that I'm using today. They're both about the same. I rate Voodoo Brew II as just a little bit stronger, but nothing like Murray's Superior or Murray's Xtra Heavy. Those pomades are in a different category altogether.

Voodoo Brew II is another non-greasy type of pomade, which sets it apart from Murray's and other petroleum base pomades on the market. The High Life series of pomades are what I feel are the best on the market. I love Murray's pomades, but I'm now coming to the conclusion that High Life is superior for my hair type. I like the idea of having pomade in my hair and no one can tell that I'm using anything. With Murray's, you can always tell that something is in your hair due to the greasy look, which is fine. I like the look, but I want to blend in more and not look like I'm desperate and working hard like some people are to look their best.

I like the way that Voodoo Brew II holds my hair up in the front without weighing it down. That's clearly a benefit for me, because I hate to have to slick my hair back or comb it completely down and to the sides due to the product weighing it down too much.

Nice to hear about a low shine alternative. Nice review:thumbup:

Top Bottom